2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

stan ogden

It’s worth starting a separate thread for the tournament itself.

The draw for who will be in the different groups takes place tomorrow at 7:30am. Hopefully we can avoid some of the very big guns. Only two European teams allowed per group.

It’s unfortunate that this WC takes place down under. That said, I’ve already heard of more than a few who’ve planned their holidays around it and will be heading down.

It was a magnificent achievement to qualify. It’ll be a massive boost for ladies football here, and overall for the beautiful game here in general. I think this ladies team is well on its way now to being one of the most popular Irish teams we’ve ever put out on a pitch. CYGIG.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/wnt-set-for-2023-fifa-womens-world-cup-draw

The draw for who will be in the different groups takes place tomorrow at 7:30am. Hopefully we can avoid some of the very big guns. Only two European teams allowed per group.

It’s unfortunate that this WC takes place down under. That said, I’ve already heard of more than a few who’ve planned their holidays around it and will be heading down.

It was a magnificent achievement to qualify. It’ll be a massive boost for ladies football here, and overall for the beautiful game here in general. I think this ladies team is well on its way now to being one of the most popular Irish teams we’ve ever put out on a pitch. CYGIG.

Must admit I got a bit of a tingle when I saw the pots on rte.ie earlier today.
Hopefully all the other baloney maloney will be a distant memory by the time the tournament rocks up.

:lol!:

We got Australia, Nigeria, and Canada in Group B.

We avoided England, US, Sweden etc. Nigeria may be a tough one. There were easier teams in that pot.

We’ve nothing to fear. They won’t like our style of play. We’ll put it (erm) up ‘em.

Last edited:
Did I hear it correct at the end there that we’re playing Australia on day 2? Tournament hosts generally have a poor and nervous first game so that might be the right time to play them.

Did I hear it correct at the end there that we’re playing Australia on day 2? Tournament hosts generally have a poor and nervous first game so that might be the right time to play them.
Day One July 20th (second match in Sydney- a new soccer stadium with 40k capacity), great to be in this, tough draw though. Australia at home, Canada are past hosts (2015 which would have given the game a big boost and may feed into their current team) All three of our opponents were in the last WC which only had 24 teams and they all got thru the groups but were knocked out in r16. We will need to get something from the first two matches.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..
More events ▼