2022 Premier Senior Hurling

Patrick Collins is not dependable. Gifted Galway 2 goals in a game that Damien Cahalane excelled. Goalkeeper is the most important position on the field. We’ve had excellent keepers in the past and Collins is nowhere near that standard Damien Cahalane will be on the panel next year, as he can play in every defensive position bar none. Marc Coleman should have on the spot to back up Cahalane when Kyle Hayes turned him, but was standing still 20 yards away. Robert Downey also gets turned quite easily!

PC gifted Galway the 1st goal. You obviously believe that he gifted them the second goal on the thinking that a goalie should never be beaten at their near post, I vehemently disagree! The likes of Edison &, Becker are beaten at their near post every season in the Premier League. You defend Damien Cahalane on the Kyle Hayes goal v Limerick by referring to other Cork players. How come you don't consider Sean O'Donoghue losing sight of the ball and getting beaten all ends up by Conor Whelan for Galway's second goal? Your not comparing like with like and name a goalie in Cork that is dependable, the County doesn't have a Nickie Quaid but had plenty of his equals back the years but it's the future that counts, you're dwelling in the past when comparing Collins.

You refer to DC as excelling v Galway in a game where the game was lost by the Cork attack & sideline and refer to him being there next year because of him being a Jack of all Trades in defence. How about his performance v Tipp in 2014 when Bubbles O'Dwyer made a fool of him and 2018 when Limerick sub Pat Ryan did the same not to mind his mad pull v Waterford in 2017 and his sending off later in the game. I already mentioned his defending v Limerick in the Pairc this year. Cork have 3 defenders in Ger Millerick, Ciaran Joyce and Sean O'Donoghue, the latter may be better employed in attack but if Pat Ryan can't find a full-back for the future between the 2 Downey's, Ryan Walsh, Daire O'Leary, Kevin Lyons, John Cashman, Brian Murphy among others then Cork hurling will be in as bad a place as it was before he got the job as manager.

I think Pat Ryan has a tough job! Damien Cahalane has had a long career and his good days outnumber his bad ones. I remember Pat McDonnell getting a runaround from Babs Keating, and Martin Doherty getting destroyed by Joe McKenna and Tony Doran. Barrs greats Tony Maher and Peter Doolan were destroyed by Ray Cummins in club hurling. They are still regarded as fine players. Picking apart a guy like Cahalane over a 10 year Cork career is unfair and unwarranted!

I think Pat Ryan has a tough job! Damien Cahalane has had a long career and his good days outnumber his bad ones. I remember Pat McDonnell getting a runaround from Babs Keating, and Martin Doherty getting destroyed by Joe McKenna and Tony Doran. Barrs greats Tony Maher and Peter Doolan were destroyed by Ray Cummins in club hurling. They are still regarded as fine players. Picking apart a guy like Cahalane over a 10 year Cork career is unfair and unwarranted!
Diarmuid O’ Sullivan was completely outplayed by Joe Canning and withdrawn. John Gardiner was outplayed by Dan Shanahan at various times. John Mullane got 3 goals against Cork/ Wayne Sherlock in 2003. All regarded amongst the finest defenders Cork produced.

Hearing similar. Hopefully we might get a reaction from Rob.
Lads - Rob Downey is still the most likely enforcer in our defense and by God we need at least one !! He has suffered from the really bad defensive set up Cork management have gone with over the past 2 years - I would never ever have played him at 3 because he can get turned and I know I will be shot for saying this but I would play Joyce at 5 Rob Downey at 6 and Eoin Downey at 7. I know people will say it’s nuts moving Joyce after him being the “find” of 2022 and holding the middle so well but it will take more than one man to make a defense and we must look at the best overall unit with players that can complement each other - Joyce will be able to use his pace and hurling ability much more at 5. Also has Downey ever got a real chance at 6 ? I don’t think he has and it is by a country mike his best position as the Glen have shown by moving brian Moylan out of there and playing Downey at 6. If anyone is in any doubt about Downey and what he can bring just look at the video of the Clare game where he caught a Clare player and literally threw him out of a ruck - Cork need an enforcer at 6 and Downey takes no shit.

I await the torrent of abuse now for suggesting moving Joyce 🤣🤣🤣

Lads - Rob Downey is still the most likely enforcer in our defense and by God we need at least one !! He has suffered from the really bad defensive set up Cork management have gone with over the past 2 years - I would never ever have played him at 3 because he can get turned and I know I will be shot for saying this but I would play Joyce at 5 Rob Downey at 6 and Eoin Downey at 7. I know people will say it’s nuts moving Joyce after him being the “find” of 2022 and holding the middle so well but it will take more than one man to make a defense and we must look at the best overall unit with players that can complement each other - Joyce will be able to use his pace and hurling ability much more at 5. Also has Downey ever got a real chance at 6 ? I don’t think he has and it is by a country mike his best position as the Glen have shown by moving brian Moylan out of there and playing Downey at 6. If anyone is in any doubt about Downey and what he can bring just look at the video of the Clare game where he caught a Clare player and literally threw him out of a ruck - Cork need an enforcer at 6 and Downey takes no shit.

I await the torrent of abuse now for suggesting moving Joyce 🤣🤣🤣
Please… Keep Joyce at number 6. I have visions of him being the new Brian Corcoran!

Jaysus lads there's murder on here already and we've barely made it onto the half-back line.
Wait until we get onto the forwards...😀.
Heard Pat Ryan’s pulling his hair out. No matter what he does, he’ll be castigated. I remember the 1990 hurling final when Jim Cashman was destroyed by Joe Cooney in the first half. Canon O’ Brien persevered and Cashman had a great second half. We need management like that! The canon also brought in Mark Foley and scored 2-7 against Tipp in Munster final…

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

The Old Moderns

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼