2022 Premier Senior Hurling

I told ye all last week that the Barrs would win and got it right we have 6/7 forwards that can score and unlike most other clubs we are not over dependent any any one of them. Secondly out so called weak link ie the full back line only conceded 2 goals over the 6 games.Like R & B said yesterdays victory does not guarantee a period of success for the barrs(,cast yere minds back to Sept 1999 how many in a row were JMB,s boys going to win).
Special praise for the referee who did a great job as well.
Let the celebration continue for a few day,there is a munster championship to be won and the Barrs can win it.

I told ye all last week that the Barrs would win and got it right we have 6/7 forwards that can score and unlike most other clubs we are not over dependent any any one of them. Secondly out so called weak link ie the full back line only conceded 2 goals over the 6 games.Like R & B said yesterdays victory does not guarantee a period of success for the barrs(,cast yere minds back to Sept 1999 how many in a row were JMB,s boys going to win).
Special praise for the referee who did a great job as well.
Let the celebration continue for a few day,there is a munster championship to be won and the Barrs can win it.
Really hope ye can drive on in Munster. You''l have the likes of Ballygunner and more than likely Na Piarsaigh in it but it'd be great for the Barrs to put it up to them. It's about time Cork teams start driving it on in Munster and becoming competitive again. Great opportunity against the Clare champions the next day.

We really need to be doing everything we can to try get BOC to pick hurling. Players like that just don’t come along too often. Himself and Joyce would backbone the defence for years.

Very little talk of Daniel Meaney, an absolute gem of a player, in both codes - massive heart and workrate - whoever he is on will earn it, be interesting to see if Blackrock have a specific plan in place for him, think he always does well with a defined role/job

If Blackrock keep O'Halloran pushed up a bit higher like in the Erin's Own game it will negate the Barrs '2nd centre back' which worked well after the 12th minute in the group game, up to the Barrs then whether they go 15 on 15 or bring another extra player back, if someone can strike early, while the dust is settling it could prove vital, expecting a few 'shamozzles' early on too
He’s been in flying form the last few games in both codes, will be interesting to see how the barrs counteract him today

These young lads are special alright, they have never left us down since they were young kids, they won some and lost some underage but there’s a belief in them that is incredible. They represent the Barrs jersey the way it should be, pride, passion, skill and confidence oozing from every sinew.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, they remind me of the kids of 77 who burst on the scene defeating the all ireland champions of 76 Glen Rovers in the final, they went on to dominate cork hurling from 80-84 only losing one county final in that period.

But a word of caution to us all, that same team lost a semi and a final in 78 & 79 so it may not happen that we dominate from here. And the previous time we won the senior hurling in 93 we were totally dominate at minor and u21 for a 5 year period yet we never won one again for 29 years.

So there will be no getting carried away with one fantastic win cause come 2023 we will have a target on our head in every game we play.

Watching the team parade up Bandon Road last night was so special, the older generation who were part of the 70s and early 80s were crying like school children and the guys who were part of the last success in 93 were utterly relieved that no longer are they the last team to win a senior hurling county

The Barrs are back, but we now have to stay here, no more 29 year waits, that’s the next goal

On the cork panel for next year i would have Ben O Connor, Ben Cunningham and Brian Hayes straight in and I’m hoping Ethan Twomey, who’s already on the panel, will become an integral part of the cork set up next year. And if there are better players than them to play then fair enough, we will be in a great position to have a right cut off the all ireland.
Barrs have great youth in strenght and depth, could be a real force in Munster in the years to come and will probably be the catalyst to drive a new standard in senior club hurling. Is there any truth the Barrs captain is a norrie?

Decent game yesterday, considering the conditions. Just a pity that it wasn't played on a dry, balmy autumnal evening on a hard sod that the occasion demanded.
I know there are pressures with dual players, etc but considering we were knocked out of C'ship in mid-June, seems a pity that the county final wasn't played until a brutally, miserable day in mid-October!

Delighted for long suffering Barrs' supporters. 29 years far too long for club of its pedigree.

I think that anybody who went yesterday deserved a medal nevermind the players. A crowd of circa 15 k in those conditions is remarkable. I was not one of them unfortunately.

Huge congratulations to all four teams involved and the fairest result for Castlemartyr and Iniscarra is to have another day out.

Unfortunately when you have a winner there must also be a loser and yesterday it was the Barrs turn to celebrate after a very long wait and at least Blackrock do have recent wins to give them some solace.

It is wonderful for hurling in general but Cork hurling in particular to have so many young players involved at this level of competition so late in the season. When you can play well at this level the step to intercounty will not be that great a step for some. Regarding Ben O Connor get him into the Cork panel immediately and make the decision to leave hurling as difficult as possible for him. Several other young players mentioned her already may also give Pat Ryan some very difficult decisions to make going forward.

Congratulations to the Barrs, condolences to the Rockies and I am delighted to see the generosity being shown by so many on here on both sides.

It is hard to be a good loser but sometimes harder to be a good winner.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Longest Johns

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼