2022 Premier Senior football

The likes of Kilmurry, Aghinagh & Cill na Martra have put down good league campaigns and with league semi finals coming up you wouldn't be surprised that they deem them games more important than Divisional Champ games. Why risk their players to injury for a team who are thrown together. Even Macroom, they've Tom Creedon Cup Semi Saturday why risk. Up to Muskerry to escalate importance of representing your division

If Muskerry only met at the game for the first time then its not good enough at all by the board and management but in fairness, there has been this problem with getting players to fall in with Muskerry with years. Club managers have barred players from getting involved, players have not got involved themselves and it's just a massive pity as even an 80% Muskerry team would be strong enough to compete with most. Last year there did appear to be a stronger buy-in but this year seems to be a step backwards. Even if you took the Junior clubs and picked from them it would be strong yet there's no Kilmurry player, no Aghinagh player there last night when there's definitely 4 or 5 players who would add something. On the other side of the old coin, great win for the Beara men. No harm to see them winning games in Senior championship. JF mentioned Seandún and he's absolutely correct. They are a disgrace at divisional level. What they did to their Senior hurling team last year tells you everything you need to know. They seem to think having the nicest pitch is more important than any games or players. Disgusting attitude quite frankly.

Infairness the timing of it this year is not the best especially for dual clubs who have put down countless weekends of games. Added in the fact there’s more divisional rounds than usual and it’s a bit of a mess before you make any progress.

The likes of Macroom, Naomh Aban and Cill Na Martra don’t play hurling so they should have been represented better but I think overall the club leagues are too packed for dual clubs especially. Divisions will always be the ones to suffer as a result.

Infairness the timing of it this year is not the best especially for dual clubs who have put down countless weekends of games. Added in the fact there’s more divisional rounds than usual and it’s a bit of a mess before you make any progress.

The likes of Macroom, Naomh Aban and Cill Na Martra don’t play hurling so they should have been represented better but I think overall the club leagues are too packed for dual clubs especially. Divisions will always be the ones to suffer as a result.
With the number of games duel clubs have to play, players have to prioritize what to play as they will be overloaded otherwise.

I honestly think only divisions where one code is stronger than the other, likes of Duhallow & Beara in football will have somewhere near decent squads going forward....even looking at Beara's team a number of their better players not playing with the divisional team, likes of Gary Murphy & Andrew O' Sullivan come to mind. The current system involving the divisions looks unworkable for a duel player given heavy schedule of league games for duel clubs.

I honestly think as I have said previous an end of year competition involving divisions run over a few weeks on astro pitches in Pairc ui Chaoimh & Bishopstown when club championship is over is worth a look at, be great to see young talent and a few older lads not in county senior panels playing competitive games. The seniors inter county panels can t start training in this period so they are as good as trial games.

Last edited:
With the number of games duel clubs have to play, players have to prioritize what to play as the will be overloaded otherwise.

I honestly think only divisions where one code is stronger than the other, likes of Duhallow & Beara in football will have somewhere near decent squads going forward....even looking at Beara's team a number of their better players not playing with the divisional team, likes of Gary Murphy & Andrew O' Sullivan come to mind. The current system involving the divisions looks unworkable for a player given heavy schedule of league games for duel clubs.

I honestly think as I have said previous an end of year competition involving divisions run over a few weeks on astro pitches in Pairc ui Chaoimh & Bishopstown when club championship is over is worth a look at, be great to see young talent and a few older lads not in county senor panels playing competitive games. The seniors inter county panels can t start training in this period so they are as good as trial games.
I don’t really think there’d be much of a buy in from players for any end of season tournament with no real prize. Just my two cents. The idea of making the championship proper is more appealing but the timing isn’t suitable to many.

People will blame the clubs, and there should be more possibly but the board need to get a good management team together firstly and then convince players/clubs to buy in accordingly knowing it was worth their time and effort. That’s probably why Duhallow have done well. Organisation costs nothing.

The county leagues are too packed though as we’ve said. The time isn’t really there. Look at the big clubs now and they don’t really allow dual players. You’ll have dual players out every weekend for approx 18 weeks of the leagues. Is that correct? And then then 6-12 weeks in championship. Split season is good. Now split the leagues and condense them.

With the number of games duel clubs have to play, players have to prioritize what to play as the will be overloaded otherwise.

I honestly think only divisions where one code is stronger than the other, likes of Duhallow & Beara in football will have somewhere near decent squads going forward....even looking at Beara's team a number of their better players not playing with the divisional team, likes of Gary Murphy & Andrew O' Sullivan come to mind. The current system involving the divisions looks unworkable for a player given heavy schedule of league games for duel clubs.

I honestly think as I have said previous an end of year competition involving divisions run over a few weeks on astro pitches in Pairc ui Chaoimh & Bishopstown when club championship is over is worth a look at, be great to see young talent and a few older lads not in county senor panels playing competitive games. The seniors inter county panels can t start training in this period so they are as good as trial games.
There would be no buy in from payers, the last thing fellas want is playing in the rain and sleet in November and December after what for dual clubs has already been a long season, in essence a 9 month season of plenty of matches already.
What’s there is as good as it gets imo, players have a choice as do clubs to support it, weeks yet to club championships and training can be tailored to suit. Almost impossible in a county like cork to have things perfect and as long as club competitions are well structured that’s the main thing

There would be no buy in from payers, the last thing fellas want is playing in the rain and sleet in November and December after what for dual clubs has already been a long season, in essence a 9 month season of plenty of matches already.
What’s there is as good as it gets imo, players have a choice as do clubs to support it, weeks yet to club championships and training can be tailored to suit. Almost impossible in a county like cork to have things perfect and as long as club competitions are well structured that’s the main thing
Spot on, there would be absolutely zero interest from players in some daft divisional competition in the middle of winter, absolute pie in the sky nonsense. Have read it a few times in different threads, can only assume it’s the same few people bringing it up.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jeito Moleque
The Kino, Washington Street West

12th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Nat Mac

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼