2021 County Senior Football Championship

Sorry but it’s 100% an anomaly particularly when more games are going to ET to minimise replays. It might have worked well “for ages” but times have changed and that’s precisely the problem- that rule is completely out dated.

It’s nothing to do with the Barrs - it was just highlighted in that game again.
Tldr: Went away from the issue and more generally ranted and rambled about how unfit the rules covering discipline in the modern game are.

Actually I disagree, to an extent. This is a recurring discussion happening in alot of different sports who deal in extra time / overtime / penalties so I have had similar discussions about it from multiple angles. So it's not just a GAA or anti-barrs thing.

My personal view, for any sport, is that if you are not going to have a full match replay then any such extra time at the end should be as even as possible.

Would a red or a black carry over to a replay? Why should one method of deciding a tie be treated differently to the other in that way?
The rules should at least be consistent between them if you're not going to have it an even playing field.

The teams have played their 60 (or 70) and come up all square. At that point why should either team be given an advantage whether it's a replay or extra time? I don't believe they should.

If you want to say the specific player is out that's fine.

<rant below>

If you want to oppose it on the grounds that ill discipline should be punished I am on board but feel we've already lost there after all the cynicism that has come up in the game and been allowed to thrive and you are right that the rules are totally outdated but in a different way. For combating the real systemic issues. Far larger and more drastic measures are required than just leaving a player off for ET.

To return to the earlier question I posed. Should a team who reaches a replay carry over their cards? I wouldn't actially be opposed to seeing this, and then by extension having the red carry over to ET also. The rules just shouldn't vary between the two if you are going about it that way.

Something I would be interested to see is maybe a red card should be 60/70 minutes of play time a man down and let the time carry over into the next match that the team has.

It sounds bizarre and feels bizarre writing it, (I hadn't thought of it prior to writing this) but at this point I'm sick of seeing teams accumulate cynical fouls and black cards and succeed by doing so. If a team gains an advantage for breaking the rules then either up the punishment or just get rid of the rule, because its pointless to retain it.

Last edited:
My personal view, for any sport, is that if you are not going to have a full match replay then any such extra time at the end should be as even as possible.

Would a red or a black carry over to a replay? Why should one method of deciding a tie be treated differently to the other in that way?
The rules should at least be consistent between them if you're not going to have it an even playing field.

The teams have played their 60 (or 70) and come up all square. At that point why should either team be given an advantage whether it's a replay or extra time? I don't believe they should.

If you want to say the specific player is out that's fine.
Agree with that, I don’t see the problem with team being restored to 15 a side, extra time is essentially a replay of sorts.

Regarding Saturday it was simply the fact that the red was given right at the end that caused a gripe, if he had gotten the red after 5 minutes we would have heard nothing.

Specifically on that red, it was fairy soft, it was a heavy shoulder that the Barrs player made the most of (no problem with this btw). A yellow sure, not a red.

To be fair I haven’t heard many Barrs men outside of this forum complaining, I think they realise Kilcoo could have played ET with 12 players and would have won as they were by far the fitter team.

It was never a red card anyway. Barrs got gifted extra time by his stupidity but it should never have been a red. And hopefully he won’t miss the final over it.

I haven’t once complained about the result and I haven’t seen any other Barrs supporter on here do so either, it could have gone either way in normal time but there was no doubting who was on top in extra time. The hullabaloo over the sending off should be discussed in the context of future games not the Barrs one, the game is over

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Beth Orton
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Fin Taylor

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼