2021 County Senior Football Championship

When it comes to transfers and professional players: Nemo have traditionally adopted a non obstruction stance towards a players wishes. If a player wants to move clubs they are welcome to it. If a player wants to move to some professional sport they will be supported by the club. Campbell and Ogbene are the names today but the same story played out with Dinny Allen.

Nobody is happy with losing either, they are big losses but ultimately the club and general membership support them in their new endeavours. And if the time should come sooner or later that they want to return they will be welcomed back.

Of course more controversially we have also been willing to accept probably more than our share of players transferring in but there are stories behind many of those.
Take McDermott as an example (the Roscommon fella). He was commuting from Cork to Roscommon for training and matches with his club up there. A mutual friend put him in touch with James Masters and this resulted in him training with the Nemo seniors each week while playing his matches in Roscommon. He was welcome for so long as he wanted it and there was no onus on him to play for Nemo.
When the time came for him to retire from his club in Roscommon and play in Cork, whose he going to play for?

The story behind Paddy Gumley (the Cavan fella) is quite similar.

Adrian Greaney (the Kerry fella) played in Ucc so had the link to Billy Morgan and became a teacher in Criost Ri.

Tomas O'Se (Tomas) had his kids in the nemo underage system for years while he played back in Kerry.

Mickley Niblock(who here knows the name? from Derry, it's a good story to google)even went to Douglas first and was sent our way by them 😁 his sons picked up medals with club

We made them welcome and they wanted to stay. Now something like Histon is a different story, he hasn't to my knowledge any connection to the club so I can appreciate the feeling towards that move. I wouldn't raise much of a complaint about reforming the rules on moving clubs within a county.

Moving on to underage. Gauging it is difficult because success at underage isnt winning cups, it's making someone a lifelong member of the club. That's why you see support for anyone moving professional and player from outside the county who may want a home away from home then they will be made welcome.
Name wise, probably Eoin Nation would be the one I'd be looking at to come through in senior soon.

On senior performance: The team is very much in transition. 2015 was the backbreaker. That team should have beaten clonmel and gone on to win the All Ireland. Can still vividly recall Quinlivan wrapping his leg out to put the ball around the full back and in. It wasn't to be and most of the core of that team then filtered out and there was a feeling in the club that an era was over.

Then suddenly in 2017 beating the Barrs was kind of a surprise and 2019/2020 again they probably overachieved there. Kerrigan is still soldiering on, but there is thebquestion now of how many years he has left, along with O'Driscoll he is the veteran presence and it is difficult to see who steps up. Connolly remains mercurial and Mark Cronin should be a good long term player but his career is only starting.

Across the board there is quality, not high end but not any true weaknesses either and that will keep them competitive. They are probably only a few stars away from being a dominant team going forward but they are short those stars.

The pending departure of Van Graan from Munster was noted and if Munster have a few SA prospects to spare next summer we might be seeing a few of them line out 👍

Last edited:
When it comes to transfers and professional players: Nemo have traditionally adopted a non obstruction stance towards a players wishes. If a player wants to move clubs they are welcome to it. If a player wants to move to some professional sport they will be supported by the club. Campbell and Ogbene are the names today but the same story played out with Dinny Allen.

Nobody is happy with losing either, they are big losses but ultimately the club and general membership support them in their new endeavours. And if the time should come sooner or later that they want to return they will be welcomed back.

Of course more controversially we have also been willing to accept probably more than our share of players transferring in but there are stories behind many of those.
Take McDermott as an example (the Roscommon fella). He was commuting from Cork to Roscommon for training and matches with his club up there. A mutual friend put him in touch with James Masters and this resulted in him training with the Nemo seniors each week while playing his matches in Roscommon. He was welcome for so long as he wanted it and there was no onus on him to play for Nemo.
When the time came for him to retire from his club in Roscommon and play in Cork, whose he going to play for?

Adrian Greaney (the Kerry fella) played in Ucc so had the link to Billy Morgan and became a teacher in Criost Ri.

Tomas O'Se (Tomas) had his kids in the nemo underage system for years while he played back in Kerry.

Mickley Niblock(who here knows the name? from Derry, it's a good story to google)even went to Douglas first and was sent our way by them 😁 his sons picked up medals with club

We made them welcome and they wanted to stay. Now something like Histon is a different story, he hasn't to my knowledge any connection to the club so I can appreciate the feeling towards that move. I wouldn't raise much of a complaint about reforming the rules on moving clubs within a county.

Moving on to underage. Gauging it is difficult because success at underage isnt winning cups, it's making someone a lifelong member of the club. That's why you see support for anyone moving professional and player from outside the county who may want a home away from home then they will be made welcome.
Name wise, probably Eoin Nation would be the one I'd be looking at to come through in senior soon.

On senior performance: The team is very much in transition. 2015 was the backbreaker. That team should have beaten clonmel and gone on to win the All Ireland. Can still vividly recall Quinlivan wrapping his leg out to put the ball around the full back and in. It wasn't to be and most of the core of that team then filtered out and there was a feeling in the club that an era was over.

Then suddenly in 2017 beating the Barrs was kind of a surprise and 2019/2020 again they probably overachieved there. Kerrigan is still soldiering on, but there is thebquestion now of how many years he has left, along with O'Driscoll he is the veteran presence and it is difficult to see who steps up. Connolly remains mercurial and Mark Cronin should be a good long term player but his career is only starting.

Across the board there is quality, not high end but not any true weaknesses either and that will keep them competitive. They are probably only a few stars away from being a dominant team going forward but they are short those stars.

The pending departure of Van Graan from Munster was noted and if Munster have a few SA prospects to spare next summer we might be seeing a few of them line out 👍
Super club, always great tight atmosphere there, big family names flow throw the place, Morgans, Kavanaghs, Kerrigans, Cronins etc - easy to see how so many decent players joined them down through the years, you can go back further to the likes of Peter Lambert, Eoin O'Mahony, Kevin Cahill, Mick Daly etc etc. Looking forward to seeing a big kick from them in 2022, the group draw will be fascinating, no one will want them in their group being a C/D seed.

Gumley was a one hot wonder and fadedthis fella McDermott is a journey man. Would he make his own club team back in Roscommon. Not a fucking hope . Tomas as let's face over the Hill and Greaney is a Junior Footballer carrying a few pounds. The issue with Nemo is that they have a small catchment area being Squeezed by Barrs, Rockies and Douglas who are all dual clubs and the vast majority of young fellas want to play hurling . Looking at their Senior team is the Size that is shocking all small lads. Jist don't have the players and looking at underage not much coming through.

Great post, interesting insight there.

I’ve always felt the same about Nemo regarding transfers, they cop a lot of flack unfairly on it, realistically they’re the biggest club in the third biggest city in the country, it’s inevitable there’ll be plenty of blow-ins looking to transfer there.

It’ll be interesting to see how they transition in the next few years, guys like Kerrigan, O’Driscoll and eventually Connolly will be difficult to replace, and that’s why the loss of Campbell must be frustrating. No doubt there’s few clubs better placed than Nemo to keep the producing silverware though.

Great post Megelus,

Nation looks like a serious prospect to me. Have seen a good bit of him for Nemo Minors, U-21's and (I think) Intermediates.

Like all Nemo backs he is very technical but he's also a very good reader of the game. Looks a centre-back of the future to me.

This year's Minors were also excellent, the best Minor team I saw in Cork with a while, and incredibly unlucky with injuries when losing to Michael's. That day they were missing the excellent Ross Corkery, lost Conor Cusack to injury and fielded six backs who'll be underage again next year and were stil close to winning. Brian Hayes is another very gifted young forward.

Like every club, though, the challenge is turning Minors into U-21's and then into adult players.

Numbers are a tricky thing because it's all relative. If you compare Nemo with a club like Newtownshandrum they would show up as a big club but if you compared them with the Barrs they wouldn't (who in turn would pale in comparison with the Dublin superclubs)

Nemos success and continued existence imo would be based on them have a very good percentage of underage who stay in some way engaged with the club in some form as an adult.

I and all my siblings are more than 15 years gone from underage playing careers with them but will still head out for matches when time allows, play the club lotto and we'll probably get a brick or two in the wall.

AFAIK he was a Garda living and working in Waterford. Not sure how that transfer happened. Aidan O'Reilly and Mick Daly two other East Cork men not living in Douglas who transferred. I think it's more these kind of fellas that leave a bad taste in many people's mouths rather than the fellas who, as you say, trained in nemo for a bit before finally transferring down. Was there a Clare footballer Kevin McMahon training with nemo as well while travelling up to his club, who didn't end up transferring. Among others.

AFAIK he was a Garda living and working in Waterford. Not sure how that transfer happened. Aidan O'Reilly and Mick Daly two other East Cork men not living in Douglas who transferred. I think it's more these kind of fellas that leave a bad taste in many people's mouths rather than the fellas who, as you say, trained in nemo for a bit before finally transferring down. Was there a Clare footballer Kevin McMahon training with nemo as well while travelling up to his club, who didn't end up transferring. Among others.
Internal county moves definitely tend to be much shakier ground yeah. I'm not familiar with the stories behind them so I can't offer any mitigation and wouldn't be opposed to changes in the rules regarding it.

McDermott and Gumley really came to be noticed due to them playing, it wouldn't be surprising to learn there were others who trained with them but I'm not close enough to the senior team to know in either direction.
Even if they dont wind up playing for you, you build up some goodwill which may pay off some time down the line.

Nemo always really impressed me as how a club should be run.

We’d get our hammerings there underage and see Cork players training U13 D teams (in reality U12 A teams).

I went back with our U13 teams a lot later as a trainer and saw the same trainers looking after the latest iterations. and Jim Cremin. Always there.

Always had a real club atmosphere too.

And a strong nemo is only good for cork football.

Daly was or never has been living in Douglas.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Garron Noone

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼