12th/Bonfire night

A news article from two years ago, finger on the pulse there kid.
Maybe if you read the article instead of the date.
"The Derry pyres are lit to mark the Catholic Feast of the Assumption"
Not just for internment in Belfast which was in the post I was replying to which was denoted by me quoting it.
Now maybe understand the context in future before making a gowl of yourself on the internet, kid.

Last edited:
Maybe if you read the article instead of the date.
"The Derry pyres are lit to mark the Catholic Feast of the Assumption"
Not just for internment in Belfast which was the in the post I was replying which was denoted by me quoting it.
Now maybe understand the context in future before making a gowl of yourself on the internet, kid.
Could you try that in English.

There is no equivalence between catholic nationalist and protestant unionist bonfires - in terms of occasion, frequency, number or indeed underlying level of hate.

However, notwithstanding that - I think it would be better if they were all ended. Or at least managed like parades. A person was killed a few days ago, last year another person was badly burned when one fell.

Bonna night can be a good thing, I certainly remember it from when I was small. But in the interests of calming tensions etc it would be better if they were prohibited or managed properly. Petrol bombs were thrown at an interface area earlier in the week. 12th and July raises tensions anyway and I have no doubt the intention from many is a celebration, a march in an uncontested area and some pipe music in the festival field. However, that reality is often superceded by lengthy stops outside catholic churches - burning effigies of nationalists - threatening people etc etc.

Orangism exists and will continue to - it needs to be decoupled from the Mervyn Gibson, UDA elements.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Brightsides

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼