Search results

1. A

Refurbishing Classic iPods

Hello all, I've just recently stumbled upon the information that some techy sorts out there are cracking open old Classic iPods and turning them into storage monsters - 1TB or even more. There are loads listed on eBay, but most seem to be coming from the UK, so on top of the sale price (they...
  2. A

Digital radio reception quality

Hi all, I live in an apartment building with shite reception, I have to practically hang out the window with a radio to get rid of the static and actually pick anything up. So, I’ve been thinking of buying a digital radio, but that’s being transmitted ‘over the air’, as best as I can make out...
  3. A

Fitbit charger

Hey all, I recently bought a Fitbit Charge 3, but after setting it up and charging it for the first time promptly misplaced the bloody charger cable! I tried to get a new charger yesterday, but things didn't work out too well. Searching around online I picked up some mixed signals on whether...
  4. A

Double-sided printing in the city

Hello all, Just wondering if anyone knows of a netcafe in the city where I can print double-sided with no hassle? I say 'no hassle' because as far I'm aware you can do so in the place near the Long Valley, but apparently you have to manually flip each sheet. That would be fine for a couple of...
  5. A

How much time needed to make a connection at Stansted?

I'm looking to fly from Santiago de Compostela in Spain to Dublin on March 31. There is a direct flight, but it doesn't land until around 5.30pm Irish time. I'd like to get back a little earlier on the day if I can make it happen, just to have an hour or so to prowl around a few shops in...
  6. A

Strange PC problem - virus related?

I'll try to be as brief as possible with this, but it seems like quite an odd problem, and one that I'm guessing may be virus related somehow. I haven't been able to deal with it myself. In fact, all I've been able to accomplish is to sever the link between a PC and the wifi. Anyway, here's...
  7. A

Fiio x5 mp3 player in Cork?

Just wondering if anyone knows if I'm likely to be able to buy an Fiio x5 mp3 player over the counter in Cork or if my best bet is via amazon etc? I managed to lose my iPod Classic over the weekend. It was on the way out anyway vis-a-vis reliability, so I wasn't as gutted as I might otherwise...
  8. A

Kindle & Chromecast - downsides to buying in Spain?

Hey all, I´m in Spain for a few days at the moment, and I got the (possibly) bright idea to buy a Kindle Fire reader and also Google Chromecast while I´m out here. One definite upside, as I see it, is that they´re a little cheaper out here than at home, but I´m wondering if the tech-heads here...
  9. A

Wireless internet downloading problem

Just looking to restore one of the threads that was deleted following the technical glitch earlier. Basically, the situation is as follows - I've had vodafone wireless broadband at home for a while with no problems, but last night found that while I can still go online my download speeds had...
  10. A

Sky box problem: "no listings available"

I'm looking for some advice on a Sky box-related problem. Basically, the tv listings stop showing up after next Wednesday night at 9pm, with every channel time-slot thereafter just showing "no listings available". Everything looks fine between now and then, but nothing after that point, and any...
  11. A

Cloud storage vs External hard-drive

I've always relied on external hard-drives to store the various files, audio, music etc that I've managed to accumulate over the years, but I'm slowly getting my head around the whole cloud 'thing'. A few questions for those who are a little more up to speed on 'tech' matters. 1. Is cloud...
  12. A

New laptop - better to buy in Cork or Dublin?

Hello all, Just looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on whether it would be better to buy a new laptop in Cork or Dublin. I'm not overly tuned in on tech matters, but I've been thinking about getting a new laptop and will find myself in Dublin city centre over the weekend, so I feel like...
  13. A

Wireless presenter

Hey all, I'm looking for one of those devices that allows you to click on through a slide show display without necessarily standing by a PC and clicking the mouse manually each time you want to change a slide. I think the specific gadget is called a 'wireless presenter'. Just wondering...
  14. A

Word document problem

Hey there, I've got a problem with a word document and I'm hoping some of the more tech-minded posters here may be able to help me out. Basically, I opened a document I've been working on this morning only to find that the last 2,000 words or so that I wrote and saved yesterday don't appear...
  15. A

Pop-up tents - 2 man vs 4 man?

Hey there, I'm just looking for advice on whether there's any great difference in reliability terms between a 2-man pop-up tent and a 4-man pop-up tent. I'm assuming they're exactly the same, just that one is bigger than the other, but you never know, and if someone here has useful knowledge...
  16. A

New tv recommendations?

My tv looks to have given up the ghost, so I now have to deal with the aggro of replacing it. My needs are reasonably simple, so I'm not looking for anything top of the range. My current tv is a JVC InteriArt, and it suited me fine. It worked grand for just about seven years on the button...
  17. A

WiFi problem

Just looking for a bit of help with a WiFi problem. It's probably fairly straightforward, but I don't have the knowledge to figure it out. Basically, we got WiFi in my family home at the start of the year. Everything worked grand for a while. The home PC connected no problem, and whenever I...
  18. A

WiFi on trains

Just wondering if the wifi on the Cork to Dublin train service is at all reliable? I have to go to Dublin on Saturday, and just curious about whether it'll be worth my while to bring netbook with me. Cheers in advance!
  19. A

Best tattoo parlour in the city?

I guess the title of the thread explains it pretty much to a tee. I'm looking to get a particular tattoo done, nothing too fancy or ornate. That said, I've never had one done before, so not really sure where to go. I'm sure all the city parlours are fine, but no harm asking the question!
  20. A

Wireless broadband providers - a couple of questions...

I'm looking to make a long overdue change to wireless broadband in my apartment, but I'm unsure on how best to proceed, with regard to which provider to go with and the practicalities of sourcing the wireless box and changing over from my current telephone and old-fashioned (wire connection)...