Search results

1. B

Paris Olympics, 2024

She is a huge talent liathroidY but she is no Bolt - not yet anyway. Bolt slaughtered all around him all the way up, smashing world records along the way. The pic is taken from the Olympic final in Bejing - wins the biggest race in four years by a street, wins it literally pullling up, and...
  2. B

Paris Olympics, 2024

Must look for the VIIIs race online. Luzern really is desparation stuff, a real last-chance saloon for Olympic hopes (and by extension rowing careers). It's important to remember though that the makeup and performance of different boats changes over the qualification year. Just because you...
  3. B

Paris Olympics, 2024

A second olympic qual for Hegarty and Lambe in the IV - some going. Lambe's older sister Claire was in the women's double that made the big breakthrough getting to the final in Rio so that's quite an Olympic household.
  4. B

Paris Olympics, 2024

LOL, don’t forget Clifton Wrottesley on the old tea tray. Winter Olympics I know, but he had the bronze until the very last lad came down the chute.
  5. B

Paris Olympics, 2024

Pazzaia is Swiss - rowed there as a kid and represented them in underage competition. He came to QUB to study science and got pulled into the rowing club and then the Ireland High Performance program. He won a bronze and a gold in the double in the world U23 in the green singlet. He was also...
  6. B

Paris Olympics, 2024

To the best of my knowledge the IV- aren't in the mix GuapoY - they'll have to row on and build within the squad over the coming years
  7. B

Paris Olympics, 2024

We’re just 10 weeks out from the games and I don’t think there’s a thread yet on Paris 2024. From an Irish standpoint, I can’t remember ever having this many medal prospects going into a games: On the athletics side, Adeleke and Mageean could be reasonably expected to challenge for podiums...
  8. B

Official Cycling Thread

Up to injury the year after the maillot vert, he was moving that way, playing a very prominent role in the Belgian monuments that spring. Then injury , hassle and three years of shite. Great to see him driving it on again. Hopefully he does the Dauphiné - there’s fierce climbing there and we’ll...
  9. B

Training Run Times

10. B

Training Run Times

Meant to say I met the bauld Elwood Blues (formerly of this parish) as we carried out our annual duties at the Fota Cheetah run on Thursday. He’s in good shape and “back running”. He has not indicated yet whether a reprise of his Cork HM “Moses at the Red Sea” role is on the cards this year...
  11. B

Training Run Times

No, I didn’t chance that Jimmy - even if it was early in the day. At mile 3, I carried on straight up the quay past the Sextant , then turned left onto Anglesea St. Then straight ahead up the hill past the South infirmary and Paddy the Farmers up to The Southern Star, where I turned right down...
  12. B

The Official Athletics Thread

27:40 for Gidey at the night of 10,000m PBs last night - he's getting very close to Cragg's record now.
  13. B

Training Run Times

Just finished running the half route there - grandstand finish in Pana an' all. Saw your number 19 up in Ballyphehane Jimmy (about 10-12 metres beyond last year's mark) - 20 and 21 too. However, no sign of the later numbers. I'll tell ye lads, it's still a tough course - the hills are non stop...
  14. B

Herself and Bol can't both win it like
  15. B

Well done Sharlene Mawdsley - OQ in any of the shorter track events is a great achievement
  16. B

Yes 486m of climbing- one of the pulls is 13.5% 😬
  17. B

The two lads could well end up off the pace - there’s other big talent in the field too - and not just Ethiopians and Kenyans. In their favour: 1. It’s the Olympics, so the first half should be relatively slow and cagey allowing the lads to stay on the bus 2. Their own teams may well be...
  18. B

I just watched that 800m race. Gill ran the last 500 on her own, way out in front. Onreal. LOL, the commentators were blown away as well as the oppo.
  19. B

I see Hassan's been named on the Dutch marathon team for Paris. ???
  20. B

In fairness, the DL never gets going until the run of Prefontaine / European meets in June - have patience lad! That night of the 10,000s is brilliant. Every year I think "Must get over to see that next year", but i never do. I'd say the craic is off the charts - and great racing too.