Search results

1. D

Cork Footballers

Dublin, during their peak, and Kilcoo during the club championship, survived almost exclusively on short kick-outs. Kilcoo went short with over 90% of their kick-outs against St. Finbarrs and looked the fitter team in extra time. Dublin’s All Ireland final win over Tyrone in 2018 saw them go...
  2. D

Cork Footballers

Great post. Agree on setting up defensively, particularly on Dublin’s kick-outs. On our kick-outs, I think we’ll be in big trouble if we start hitting 50-50 high balls on top of the Dublin midfield. Dublin’s biggest strength is their kick-out press and they’ve cleaned out teams with better...
  3. D

Cork Footballers

It’s nice to be thinking about who we will meet in the final but we can’t look too far ahead. We have a semi-final coming up against Kerry, so let’s hope Dublin give us some challenge and we’re not going into the semi-final under-cooked.
  4. D

Cork Footballers

We’re halfway to nowhere with our current kick-out strategy. Not only are we not competing for primary possession, but we’re also open at the back, because we have committed five/six players into the opposition’s half. Limerick scored 1-9 directly off their kick-outs today. Hope we try...
  5. D

Cork Footballers

From The Sunday game’s stats: Limerick went short on 23 of their 28 kick-outs. The rest went long and they won all of them as well. Cork went short on 13 of their 28 kick-outs winning 100% of their short ones. They struggled on the long kick-outs and won just 8 out of the 15 or 53% of them.
  6. D

Cork Footballers

Limerick won 28 out of their 28 kick-outs. That’s a remarkable statistic as they were playing against a strong wind in the first half and Cork commited 5/6 forwards into the Limerick half for kick-outs. Delighted with the result and there were some great individual performances in defense from...
  7. D

Cork minor Football 2022

Agree Corkonian. Also need to start producing defenders who have the speed, skill level and ability to take the initiative. With the amount of numbers every team gets back in defense, defending is becoming only a small part of the job for guys in the full-back line and half-back line. Every time...
  8. D

Cork minor Football 2022

The keeper, O’Brien, O’Donovan and Kearney are talents and will surely play for Cork again at some level. Very impressed with the keeper’s accuracy at kick-outs in the last two weeks after a tough outing against Tipp. Hard to tell how good the forwards are. Myers is well able to score off both...
  9. D

Cork minor Football 2022

I think it’s similar to last year. Kerry were the better team tonight like Cork last year, but both teams look well below their usual standards this year and last year. Very few Conor Corbett’s, Dylan Geaney’s, Sean O’Brien’s or Darragh Cashman’s on either side. A load of sloppy mistakes in...
  10. D

Cork minor Football 2022

I think the Cork coaching team is getting a bit of unfair criticism here. It looked like they were trying to coach the team to run the ball out and mix up the kick-out strategy, which is what we all wanted last weekend at senior level. Some players lost concentration and made mistakes hopefully...
  11. D

Cork u20 football 2022

Tyrone had the more talented individuals but again Kerry’s kick-out strategies kept them in the game. It’s a big advantage for Kerry to have such a consistent stream of possession on both sides of the kick-out. They reminded me of an NFL team with the amount of different shapes and set-ups they...
  12. D

Cork Footballers

The Cluxton analogy is a good one and it’s remarkable how much more vulnerable Dublin are since he’s moved on. A number of people have said it, but the modern-day keeper is the quarter-back and the most important player in any team by a distance. Martin and Foley are great shot-stoppers, but we...
  13. D

Cork Footballers

Very encouraging performance. The improvements in both the defensive and attacking shapes are impressive, so fair play to John Cleary. A lot to build upon. Maguire and Cooper were great on their first championship starts. Only negatives were our Kick-outs. Kerry were only committing 3 players...
  14. D

Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I’m not suggesting that any of these players are better hurlers than the current forwards, but there are some players in the club championship who are arguably harder-working, and definitely more physical than the current Cork forwards. Aaron Myers is a ball-winner who works hard and he’s been...
  15. D

Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I haven’t seen many people suggest we have better hurlers than Waterford or Limerick. Very few Cork players would get into the Limerick or Waterford match-day panels in my opinion. I think people are just tired of seeing the media and ex-players constantly describing Cork as soft, whether...
  16. D

Minor Hurling 2022

It didn’t work for Limerick either at minor level but I think they (Limerick) have a preference for a certain type of player that they’re trying to produce in positions and that results aren’t overly important to them at minor level. None of their current senior team have All Ireland minor...
  17. D

Minor Hurling 2022

Limerick use the short-option as well and you need to have that option, but I agree that it seems excessive at times, especially when you have the wind advantage. My understanding is that when it works the benefits are two-fold. Firstly, you can upset the rhythm and momentum of a team on a run...
  18. D

Minor Hurling 2022

You get a fair bit of lash back for it as it can seem overly simplistic but you're on the money in my opinion. How many teams in the last 10 years have won an AI at any level, without physical presence and size around the middle 8? Nobody wants a team full of big men for the sake of having a...
  19. D

Minor Hurling 2022

Another worrying performance from a Cork inter-county team. The worrying part isn’t the result, as these are kids at the end of the day, and things can change quickly (look at Galway’s lack of U20 success despite dominant minor teams). The worrying and disappointing part is the fact that we seem...
  20. D

Cork minor Football 2022

Hopefully, it would be a very welcome boost after the last few weeks :)