2022 Premier Senior Hurling

But where is the actual official boundary line between Bishopstown and The Barrs - you being an expert on all things Barrs surely you know. Bear in mind these boundaries would have existed long long before there was ever a roundabout even thought of out in Wilton.
Barrs territory stretch from Bandon Road out Glasheen Road passed St Finbarrs cemetery right up to the wilton roundabout anything after that is Bishopstown territory 👍👍

Summerstown used to have a team in the Barrs street leagues around 94-98. That settles it….
Ah the team was around well before that 😀 Now you've got to head over to Togher Road to get into the club, but back that you just hopped over the stream at the end of the road. Place used be about 75% Barrs / 25% Bishopstown

While there's some merit to the boundary issue generally I think it's being overblown here.
We had Glen, Delanys & Dillons all in the one estate & nobody batted an eyelid.

Ther

There are no official boundaries in the city, sure like where does Nemo territory end and Barrs territotlry start on the other side? years ago before Wilton parish was formed all those houses around Summerstown were part of Glasheen which has always been Barrs territory. I had relatives living out there and they confirmed this for me yesterday. When Wilton parish was formed those fcukers in the Town saw an opportunity and tried to claim it. Way back when, in my view the boundary is at the Bishopstown Garda station, there was vast swathes of fields between there and Glasheen where the hospital and shopping centre now are.

That must have changed cos I can well remember there were boundaries back in the day between The Glen and Na Piarsaigh and big arguments about whether schools were in one area or another or were neutral.

My understanding of the Barrs "parish" was The Lough, Togher, and The 'Hane. B'town GAA was only formed in the 1950s I think but it would have only been to cater for the emerging housing in the area. Blackrock for instance has a catchment area stretching from Mahon (have Ballnure folded?) right in as far as the edge of town by Paddy The Farmers, Jewtown etc.

According to you Bishopstown Garda station is only barely in Bishopstown so Bishopscourt etc must be The Barrs catchment area too. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wow. That must have changed. Good to hear it. Is the Parish Rule (think it was brought in by one Con Murphy) gone in Cork so or is it still in vogue outside the city?
Parish rule is still in place outside of the city.

There was a nack years ago where Cian McCarthy of Sars was able to transfer straight from Sars to Douglas as Passage was his home club for football and in the city boundaries he didn't have to sit out.

Subsequently he transferred fully to Passage then again without having to sit out.

That must have changed cos I can well remember there were boundaries back in the day between The Glen and Na Piarsaigh and big arguments about whether schools were in one area or another or were neutral.

My understanding of the Barrs "parish" was The Lough, Togher, and The 'Hane. B'town GAA was only formed in the 1950s I think but it would have only been to cater for the emerging housing in the area. Blackrock for instance has a catchment area stretching from Mahon (have Ballnure folded?) right in as far as the edge of town by Paddy The Farmers, Jewtown etc.

According to you Bishopstown Garda station is only barely in Bishopstown so Bishopscourt etc must be The Barrs catchment area too. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
🤔
Back then Soundy Bishopstown was far smaller. Bishopscourt hadn't been built. It was built post Woodbrook which was constructed in 1963. Family of mine lived in Woodbrook for a time. Wilton roundabout didn't exist and the first houses after Glasheen were Wilton Ave. Firgrove, Westgate and Uam Var were about all that existed apart from the older houses on Curraheen Rd.and Bishopstown Road.
Two guys I knew at school from Glasheen in the 1970s played with Bishopstown and they always maintained that it was a "neutral territory". This matter seems to depend on who one talks to in all fairness!

P.S. Bishopstown Garda station was right next to Wilton Ave.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
KAWALA - CANCELLED
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

10th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼