Cork Footballers

Highly debatable. Sherlock has been unerring this year before missing a few long range ones today from the ground. Generally speaking he doesn’t miss a thing.

O’Mahony can kick them too and that’s a helpful thing to have. No team should be reliant on one. Dublin arguably carry Dean Rock for them.

Next winter is important for conditioning further. These are still young men developing. There’s work to be done on their bodies that won’t even be complete in one year.

We also need to evolve further in our tactical setup. I’d like to see White rejoin the panel. He has a good range from short to very long but he can also be used as a +1 with the ball and possibly to even push opposition kickout in a high zone. Our own kickout and how we defend the opposition kickout are a big part of our shortcomings. We need to be far more thoughtful to compensate for other shortcomings like conditioning.
Agree with you regarding Sherlock, normally very good. However they were missed today when we needed those scores to keep in touch. Cathail kicked them when he was taking them. End of the day probably not as much pressure when he was taking them but he's done it for U20s to win All-Ireland so well able to do it. Cathail should be the man going forward I feel.

Agree with you regarding Sherlock, normally very good. However they were missed today when we needed those scores to keep in touch. Cathail kicked them when he was taking them. End of the day probably not as much pressure when he was taking them but he's done it for U20s to win All-Ireland so well able to do it. Cathail should be the man going forward I feel.
Much less pressure on Mahony when he was kicking his. He is a very good kicker but Sherlock only missed the very long ones off the ground. Generally speaking his percentage is very high otherwise. Like I said I think we need a few reliable free takers and we have them. A pity none are left footed. Sherlock tends to be super from that side though.

Plenty of positives to take from cork from this year, chief amongst them going two big games against two of the major contenders and not conceding a goal or even much of a sniff of one.

A very honourable effort from where we were around St Patricks Day.

There’s a nucleus there to build from and in spite of what the cheerleaders would have you believe there is no great team in football today. You look at crowds like Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone as being a bit ahead and that’s the truth of the matter but look if the truth be told those counties would be doing well to keep it kicked out to their own best teams of the last 10-15 years. Part of the problem we have in both codes is winning is simply not important enough in Cork. If it was it might dawn on people that we’re not far away, and arguably at a push closer than we are on the other side of the aisle at the moment.

Cork need a bit of certainty at the helm, the likes of Corbett, O’Donovan and Meehan to stay healthy, Keane to commit and they’ll go far next year. It’s a pity that one of the promotion spots next year is nailed on for Dublin but 4 or 5 wins in the league shouldn’t be an unrealistic target.

Sincere thanks to players and backroom.
🤔
Fair enough Tony but 0-12 and 0-11 defeats so our opponents didn't need goals to beat us well. Dublin a division 2 side also.

🤔
Fair enough Tony but 0-12 and 0-11 defeats so our opponents didn't need goals to beat us well. Dublin a division 2 side also.
That’s a very negative outlook. It’s factual but negative. Dublin are second favs for the AI. Kerry are the favs. Whoever wins between them will win Sam. There’s a large pinch of salt needed when it comes to the divisions.

If Dublin play Derry in the final, which could easily happen, both are division two teams. What does that tell us? Not a lot I would say.

We are a work in progress with injury problems. I was a huge critic during the league but it’s amazing what a few wins can do for a group. Look at Derry for example. We’ve barely even had a few wins but the few we did have did raise the morale and level as a result. We need to build more in the off season and use the league to build more morale and form. We are a few years at the very least behind Dublin or Kerry but I honestly thought we were much further back in March.

Dublin have massive advantage playing in Croke Park. Kicking into the sea of blue in the hill with each ball gone wide being cheered isn’t easy and I thought cork did themselves proud for the majority of the game.Fairly dissapointing with the lack of Cork crowd in the stadium as most of the red was Derry fans who stayed on to watch. Thought Paul Ring was very good today playing that corner back role and the whole defence were very good in fairness. Forwards let us down but impressed with O Mahony. Powter and Kevin O Donovan again producing a good display. Overall a good campaign the players can have there well earned break now until club championship..

Thanks to the players and management and all involved for this year. It's of course disappointing that we find we're not at the level of Dublin or Kerry yet. However, while anybody could pick holes with exceptions, in general we've consistently had a disciplined team in every championship match, consistently trying to do the right thing with and without the ball. Not always succeeding - but consistently trying. There are one or two very obvious things that need improving (shur we all know) - to my way of thinking this is actually a plus going forward, in that it's known what has to be addressed.

Again, my thanks to all involved this year. You gave me and mine something to feel part of, to share in the ups and downs, and to be proud of.

That’s a very negative outlook. It’s factual but negative. Dublin are second favs for the AI. Kerry are the favs. Whoever wins between them will win Sam. There’s a large pinch of salt needed when it comes to the divisions.

If Dublin play Derry in the final, which could easily happen, both are division two teams. What does that tell us? Not a lot I would say.

We are a work in progress with injury problems. I was a huge critic during the league but it’s amazing what a few wins can do for a group. Look at Derry for example. We’ve barely even had a few wins but the few we did have did raise the morale and level as a result. We need to build more in the off season and use the league to build more morale and form. We are a few years at the very least behind Dublin or Kerry but I honestly thought we were much further back in March.
🤔
Cold light of day. It gives me no pleasure to post what I did Shab but let's call a spade a spade.

Well done to all involved this year. Given where we could have gone d3 , the turn around is a positive.
It's no surprise we're a good bit off Dublin/Kerry , but I think the last 3 months shows we've stopped the slide and are starting the long climb back.

What is the story with management team going forward ?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼