Pre Celtic Tiger Ireland

A God.

Not THE God... Whatever that is.
That's what I was asking. What's the definition of "A God?" Does a belief in some power that doesn't influence control beyond setting out the parameters of existence count as "A God?"

Does a belief in the universe being set out on a path from which we know nothing of beforehand count as a belief in "A God?"

What the fuck is "A God?"

That's what I was asking. What's the definition of "A God?" Does a belief in some power that doesn't influence control beyond setting out the parameters of existence count as "A God?"

Does a belief in the universe being set out on a path from which we know nothing of beforehand count as a belief in "A God?"

What the fuck is "A God?"

In short. It's whatever you want it to be.

Just do no harm.

Was it really all that bad?

- no homelessness
- working people could actually afford a house
- crime almost non existent (Dublin went from having an almost zero murder rate to one of the murder rates in Europe)
- no foreign criminals
- landscape beautiful as ever (probably more unspoilt) and vacationing in Ireland cost nothing then.
- jobs might have been harder to come by but with the common travel area anybody could work in the UK without visas
- very few drug issues save for certain areas of Dublin
- people weren't as wealthy but there was always food on the table and a roof over your head. What's the point of making good money when you can't even afford your own home?
- church was a bit too influential but so what? They're actually preferable to all the athetist loony lefties around these days.
Good thread.

Ireland was at its finest before it became fully dependent on FDI.

Plenty of homelessness - Cork Simon was set up.
Interest rates at 16% for mortgages
Mass emigration
Huge crime in Dublin as their was a heroin epidemic and gangland criminals.
Parts of Dublin city centre looked like a bomb site.
Average monthly income and wealth below the E.U. average-now it is above.

But "So what" to a cabal of corrupt child rapists and women being placed in Mgadeline Laundries etc indeed as a backward insular inward looking Ireland floundered.
Fewer homeless.
Houses paid for on one salary.
We still have mass emigration of our native population - it's just dwarfed by non-nationals arriving into the country.
I cannot recall a time when law and order was in a worse shape in the country.
Have you not walked past North Main street? Patrick st? Buildings literally crumbling before your eyes.
Labour costs are below EU average
1653693031328.png

I lived on the Isle of Sheppey.
Monumental moron when it came to planning permissions.
The local Masonic Club ran an active campaign to get rid of him.
Did a quick search.
He seemed to make a habit of pissing off the neighbours alright.

Still loling at cheap credit which literally bankrupted the country NOT being a bad thing. Its no surprise we are headed straight for recession again.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

THE TAN JACKETS

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:50pm

More events ▼