The Official Arsenal Thread - Part 2

This was only last Tuesday.

Life comes at you fast!

Lolzers, came out of the bushes Rebelsrebel style the second it was safe to do so :lol!: fantastic

I stand by everything i've said, Arteta has done a good job overall this season, this team has improved quite significantly vs last season and did really well to put itself in the position it was in before KO last night, the fact their results aren't consistent (alternating 3 dreadful defeats to Palace, Brighton and Saints but then getting 3 wins vs way tougher opponents in Chelsea, Westham and ManY:lol!::lol!:) is something I and most Arsenal followers were worried about but also expected....given the squad's age profile and the works that are left to be done in terms of depth in quality.

Agree with the fact next season's top 4 race will be even more difficult, i felt back in January when the window closed, that Arsenal were taking a big gamble by not strengthening further, i was quite vocal about an extra midfielder (wanted Guimaraes) and possibly another experienced body, this came back to haunt them, the work continues.

Last edited:
The key thing is to keep fixing problem areas in each window. White was a good signing. The young players are very talented but as with all young players they will be inconsistent.

Arteta is the man for it but needs another two windows. After that there’s no excuse. Lacking fight tonight will worry him more than losing.
Agreed - still plenty work to do, 2 windows more is probably right indeed, the drop in quality between the starters and their respective replacements is still very significant and this is needs to be narrowed considerably, Cedric is nowhere near Tomiyasu, Tavares is nowhere near KT's level, Holding nowhere near Gabriel or White, Pepe nowhere near Saka, the Egyptian Pirlo can play 2-3 good games in row but goes back to being anonymous after that, Eddie's not the long term solution for #1CF, Laca's passed it and needs a move, ESR and Martinelli showed their age and relative lack of experience...so yeah, plenty more to do in the next windows.

Good news is that Saliba has had a magnificent season at Marseille (won L1 YPOTY) and that the club is already looking at upgrades for LB in Hickey and CF, can't say i know much about Marquinhos from Sao Paulo other than the fact that Crespo thinks he's very special (to the point he played him in the Copa Libertadores at 18)

We need to start scoring more goals and realise that some of our most important players seem to be injury prone and need good replacements.

And still a decent bit of dead wood to ship out.
Laca going will make space for a good attacker whoever that may be.

We need to start scoring more goals and realise that some of our most important players seem to be injury prone and need good replacements.

And still a decent bit of dead wood to ship out.
Laca going will make space for a good attacker whoever that may be.

yes, taken from today's Arseblog:

When you look at our ‘main’ players in that regard, and what they’ve contributed since January 1st the stats are stark:

Gabriel Martinelli: 1 goal in 19 (and it’s 1 his last 21 appearances).

Emile Smith Rowe: 2 goals in his last 18 appearances in 2022.

Alexandre Lacazette: 1 penalty in 18 appearances, no goals from open play.

Bukayo Saka: 6 goals in 20 appearances.

Eddie Nketiah: 4 goals in 20 appearances, he didn’t score in 18 of those 20.

If you want to add Martin Odegaard to that list, although I’d consider him less a forward than the others, it’s 3 goals in 22 appearances. On that basis, it’s kind of incredible that we were
even in the hunt for a top four place.

Long shot given Burnley and Leeds have tough games to play but Arsenal could finish on a good note by relegating fat Fwank and making sure Spuds and Tonio have a healthy lunch before their game vs Norwich

Homemade-Ground-Beef-Lasagna-with-Melted-Cheese.png

Didn't you call marty the new Ronaldo a while back?
? don't think so bud, i might have said that his hero is CR7 (something he's mentioned in plenty interviews)

And I'm not having a dig at Martinelli or ESR here, i rate and like them both, I'm saying their age and relative inexperience showed a little bit, they need more support from senior players around them.

Last edited:
Lolzers, came out of the bushes Rebelsrebel style the second it was safe to do so :lol!: fantastic

I stand by everything i've said, Arteta has done a good job overall this season, this team has improved quite significantly vs last season and did really well to put itself in the position it was in before KO last night, the fact their results aren't consistent (alternating 3 dreadful defeats to Palace, Brighton and Saints but then getting 3 wins vs way tougher opponents in Chelsea, Westham and ManY:lol!::lol!:) is something I and most Arsenal followers were worried about but also expected....given the squad's age profile and the works that are left to be done in terms of depth in quality.

Agree with the fact next season's top 4 race will be even more difficult, i felt back in January when the window closed, that Arsenal were taking a big gamble by not strengthening further, i was quite vocal about an extra midfielder (wanted Guimaraes) and possibly another experienced body, this came back to haunt them, the work continues.

gonna sue Charles Watts for plagiarism

Arsenal to significantly invest in squad even if they suffer Champions League disappointment​

Mikel Arteta is expected to be backed in the transfer market as they look to build on the progress made this season

BySam Dean17 May 2022 • 2:26pm

Arsenal to significantly invest in squad even if they suffer Champions League disappointment

Mikel Arteta was despondent after Arsenal's defeat to Newcastle CREDIT: AFP

Arsenal’s likely failure to qualify for next season’s Champions League will not prevent the club from investing heavily in the first-team squad this summer, with Mikel Arteta desperate to recruit a handful of quality additions to his young team.
Defeat at Newcastle United on Monday night all but ended Arsenal’s hopes of finishing in the top four, with Arteta’s side now reliant upon Tottenham Hotspur losing at relegated Norwich City this weekend.
Arsenal see the upcoming transfer window as a major opportunity to improve the squad and have been planning accordingly, irrespective of whether they finish in fourth place or not.
Qualification for the Champions League would have given them considerably more financial firepower, and would have helped them in their pursuit of high-class players such as Gabriel Jesus and Youri Tielemans, but it is understood they will still have a meaningful budget to work with despite their financial difficulties in recent years.
Arsenal’s expectation at the start of this campaign was to make a return to the Europa League, so their late-season collapse is not seen to have ruined their long-term project under Arteta. It is clear that there is major disappointment at their back-to-back defeats by Tottenham and Newcastle, though, given the team’s progress in recent months.
Arsenal invested around £150 million in new players last summer and are ready to spend again as part of their plan to ultimately return to a self-sustaining model. They were able to clear a significant amount of space on their wage bill in January, when a series of players were allowed to leave the club — including top earner Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang — without any new recruits being brought in.
A priority is a centre-forward, with Jesus among the top targets for Arteta and Edu, the club’s technical director. The Manchester City forward’s agent has said that Jesus “likes the project” at Arsenal, but warned there are six other clubs who have shown interest in the 25-year-old.
With Eddie Nketiah and Alexandre Lacazette both out of contract at the end of this season, Arsenal's hunt for more forward options is not expected to stop at Jesus. They have previously shown interest in Lille striker Jonathan David and are known to be big admirers of Roma’s Tammy Abraham. Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin has also been considered.
Lyon forward Moussa Dembele, who has struck 21 goals in 35 appearances this season, is also expected to be an appealing option for a number of Premier League clubs as he enters the final year of his contract in France.
There is also a need for Arsenal to strengthen in midfield, with Leicester City’s Tielemans and Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves both among the players who have caught the club’s attention. Tielemans has only one year remaining on his current deal so will be available for a knockdown price, but is reported to be keen to play Champions League football next season.
Telegraph Sport revealed earlier this season that Hoffenheim midfielder Florian Grillitsch, who will be a free agent this summer, had been added to Arsenal’s list of targets.
The north London club have been repeatedly linked to Bologna full-back Aaron Hickey, a 19-year-old Scotland international, but Telegraph Sport understands that reports in Italy of an agreed deal are wide of the mark.
Arsenal have already completed deals for two American players ahead of the start of next season, with goalkeeper Matt Turner and defender Auston Trusty joining from New England Revolution and Colorado Rapids respectively.
Turner will serve as Aaron Ramsdale’s backup in the event of Bernd Leno’s likely departure, while the plan at this stage is for Trusty to be sent out on loan to a European team.
Arsenal are close to completing a deal for young São Paulo forward Marquinhos, who is available for around £3m. The 19-year-old is regarded as a player for the future, though, rather than an immediate first-team option.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sister Act The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

3rd Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

DJ Fadd Jnr

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:30pm

More events ▼