Ferry Culture

You were driving buses 25+ years ago?
Your Pres reunions must be hilarious. I'm MD of a major International company...I'm chief naval officer of the Irish navy.
Emm I drove the overnight abortion bus to London.

It might have been you m8.
Of course at the time I thought it was just a fat ugly woman but now I'm more enlightened.
A bus is not at all a suitable means of transportation for a journey like that.

It was always coaches, always, well I remember CIE ran those bombardier coaches back in the day and i honestly felt sorry for the passengers with the racket off the engines in them. More suitable as buses those yolks were.

If you don't know the difference let me know and I will fill you in.

Obviously i was younger then and am now in a different sector and self employed, thank you for asking

It was always coaches, always, well I remember CIE ran those bombardier coaches back in the day and i honestly felt sorry for the passengers with the racket off the engines in them. More suitable as buses those yolks were.

Obviously i was younger then and am now in a different sector and self employed, thank you for asking
It's a type of bus. No one gives a fuck about the semantics of whether it's technically a bus or a coach unless you're wearing an anorak and pretending to be a woman on Ashley Morrison.

What was the journey time on the Eurolines service Cork Roslare London?

What was the journey time on the Eurolines service Cork Roslare London?
A lot slower than the service we provided in Slatterys back in the day.

We used to depart Patrick's Quay here at 5pm and arrive into Victoria coach station for 7am the following morning via the B+I ferry in Rosslare.

Meanwhile the lads in Supabus / CIE which subsequently became part of the Eurolines service used to leave the bus station here at 4:30 and they used to get the Sealink ferry from Rosslare.and they used to arrive in to Victoria at 7:30 ish.

A lot slower than the service we provided in Slatterys back in the day.

We used to depart Patrick's Quay here at 5pm and arrive into Victoria coach station for 7am the following morning via the B+I ferry in Rosslare.

Meanwhile the lads in Supabus / CIE which subsequently became part of the Eurolines service used to leave the bus station here at 4:30 and they used to get the Sealink ferry from Rosslare.and they used to arrive in to Victoria at 7:30 ish.
I assume there were no digicards those days and obviously drivers could just barrell away with no tacho to worry about?

I assume there were no digicards those days and obviously drivers could just barrell away with no tacho to worry about?
If memory serves me correctly they became mandatory in 1985.
Yes before that, a guy would start work in Killarney at 1:30pm drive to Rosslare, onto the boat, rest for a few hours, get off the ferry at around 2am and drive then to London
Off load the passengers and drive to a depot another 30 mins away.
Then off to a Hotel for grub, sleep and up again for 6pm.
Off to collect the coach from the depot and back to Victoria for an 8pm departure.
Then all the way back to Killarney and finish up at 1pm the following day.

It's a type of bus. No one gives a fuck about the semantics of whether it's technically a bus or a coach unless you're wearing an anorak and pretending to be a woman on Ashley Morrison.
You would know all about if you were on a bus for a 6 hour journey 🙄.

For one thing they cannot legally go as fast and coaches and secondly they are not designed for passenger comfort as much as coaches are.

But you carry on there in your bliss

You would know all about if you were on a bus for a 6 hour journey 🙄.

For one thing they cannot legally go as fast and coaches and secondly they are not designed for passenger comfort as much as coaches are.

But you carry on there in your bliss
Calm down m8.
Good chance you drove me on your 'coach' because if my memory serves me well it was Slatterys I went with. They picked up somewhere by where the Vic arcade was didn't they?

In fact I think I remember you.
28CFBAAE00000578-3086264-image-a-19_1431954320700.jpg

I remember waiting in a pub in Fishguard for a delayed crossing. They had a list of names behind the bar of people who were barred from the pub.
They were all Irish names 🤦‍♂️
By the time the delay was over there were another 3 names added to the list.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

You Spin Me Round: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼