The Official Golf Thread

I don’t mind Brooks. His honesty is very refreshing even though it puts himself under pressure. Basically said he choked at Augusta and then went and did what he did yesterday! Not one for the sports psychology babble. He’s a born winner and a super golfer. Likes being the baddie too, seems to thrive on it.

Koepka some lad to win a major. Doesn't make him any more likeable, mind you. Hovland is knocking on the door and I expect he'll get one at some stage in the next year or so. I know it makes no sense with his putting, but since the beginning of the year, I've had a feeling that Rory will win the US Open.
Never liked him as imagined him as a dumb college jock type. Also his lack of respect for tournaments other than majors.
However I saw a different side of him in the Netflix documentary.
Yer man Block has got a sponsors exemption for Collonial next week. It’s all come up roses for him now.

I find golf a hard watch these days. I started off playing back in 1988 and loved playing/watching it. The late 80s/90s were some entertainment, in the majors especially. The Ryder Cup back then was intense and exciting and only watched by the golfing hardcore.

The last few years, I still love playing, albeit I don't get out as often as I should and could but watching golf, I've lost 90% of interest in it tbh.

I find golf a hard watch these days. I started off playing back in 1988 and loved playing/watching it. The late 80s/90s were some entertainment, in the majors especially. The Ryder Cup back then was intense and exciting and only watched by the golfing hardcore.

The last few years, I still love playing, albeit I don't get out as often as I should and could but watching golf, I've lost 90% of interest in it tbh.
What is it that you don't like as much? I would say at this stage that it's just insanely removed from ordinary people. Back in the 80s and 90s they weren't making this crazy money, the courses weren't as fake-perfect as they are now and the PGA wasn't the be all and end all that it is now. The Masters wasn't spoken about in the bullshit, hushed tones that it is now.

McDowell and Garcia at US Open qualifying at the moment, Gmac tied 4th with 2 to play, Garcia tied 6th with 3 to go 8 will qualify

Edit Garcia birdied the last to avoid playoff and qualify, Gmac didn't qualify. Carson Young is leading with two to play.
His score card for the two rounds has 3 bogeys and 19 birdies. 👏

Last edited:
I turned the wheel on the Charles Schwab Challenge.

I drew the line at 499/1 and lower. Have thrown a few darts at these.

Tom Hoge e/w (8 places) @ 66/1
Brendon Todd e/w (8 places) @ 80/1
Justin Suh e/w (10 places) @ 70/1
Aaron Baddeley (12 places) @ 200/1 (...he's 719/1 to win, so doesn't show up on the graphic below. Ranked 14th by metrics but ranked 91st by odds).

Will look at options among the market leaders a little later.

KWLPvHt.jpg

jEEiEC9.png

Stats metrics used to derive "Scaled Rating" above

Weighted 3 (highest)

Rank Driv Acc %
Rank GIR %
Rank Hole outs
Rank Par Breakers

Weighted 2

Rank SG ApprGreen
Rank Total Driving
Rank Approach 100-125
Rank Hole Proximity
Rank Approach 75-100

Weighted 1 (lowest)

Rank SG Putting
Rank GIR Fairway
Rank Approach 175-200
Rank Putting Avg
Rank 3-Putt Avoid

I turned the wheel on the Charles Schwab Challenge.

I drew the line at 499/1 and lower. Have thrown a few darts at these.

Tom Hoge e/w (8 places) @ 66/1
Brendon Todd e/w (8 places) @ 80/1
Justin Suh e/w (10 places) @ 70/1
Aaron Baddeley (12 places) @ 200/1 (...he's 719/1 to win, so doesn't show up on the graphic below. Ranked 14th by metrics but ranked 91st by odds).

Will look at options among the market leaders a little later.

KWLPvHt.jpg

jEEiEC9.png

Stats metrics used to derive "Scaled Rating" above

Weighted 3 (highest)

Rank Driv Acc %
Rank GIR %
Rank Hole outs
Rank Par Breakers

Weighted 2
Rank SG ApprGreen
Rank Total Driving
Rank Approach 100-125
Rank Hole Proximity
Rank Approach 75-100

Weighted 1 (lowest)
Rank SG Putting
Rank GIR Fairway
Rank Approach 175-200
Rank Putting Avg
Rank 3-Putt Avoid

Here are the odds changes ("To Win") since Tuesday.

For the US PGA Championship last week it seemed to me, at the surface level at least, that there was a high correlation between players whose odds shortened heavily & those which were tipped by various well-known golf tipsters (e.g. Ben Coley, Bryan Nicholson, Steve Rawlings). Less so this week.

If we can build up a better understanding of what factors are driving the shortening/lengthening from ~Monday to tee-off on Thursday there could be a lucrative trading angle there too, over and above trying to pick guys who will win or place.

1685002735240.png

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Living Images (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼