Cyclists

Una cleaning house here. I never thought I'd find myself saying that. 👍

Most cars have to go. People can fight this all they want, but it has to happen. The first part of that vision needs to be about how people navigate the city centre. That means removing as many cars as possible. Fossil-fuelled SUVs, in particular, should be taxed into oblivion, or just banned outright. This does not mean penalising people who need to drive commercial vehicles for work, electric taxis, or obviously people with mobility issues. It also means a lot of thinking needs to be done around how people on lower incomes aren’t excessively penalised. Multiple new public – and free – transport options have to be provided simultaneously. That is essential.

Multi-story car parks should be removed from the city centre and placed on the outskirts with free electric transport into the city. Most car-parking spaces should also be removed. As car use decreases, we are going to need a car amnesty, where families can swap their car for bikes and scooters.

Cars are parked 95 per cent of the time. They clutter streets, paths and roads. Get rid of them. The bad faith, hairsplitting arguments and selfish hysteria of middle-class drivers in particular carries no weight in a climate emergency. Of course, there should be exceptions for those who genuinely need their cars on the road. Positive change needs to be logical change. But if you want to keep your car in the city centre out of personal convenience, that simply does not, should not and cannot override public health, or Ireland’s embarrassing languishing on emissions targets. We need to skip the phoney, predictable, cynical “debates”, radio phone-in outrage and populist “push back”, and just do it.
Take it to the batshit crazy Green Party thread.

Alternatively start an “I love Dublin” thread.

A small badly planned out shithole made up of chain stores paddywack pubs offices full of people from the west of Ireland who think they’ve arrived in downtown Manhattan, and the local parish newsletter runs an article complaining about crossovers.

Welcome to Dublin and the parochial world of the batshit crazy Green Party.

Una cleaning house here. I never thought I'd find myself saying that. 👍

Most cars have to go. People can fight this all they want, but it has to happen. The first part of that vision needs to be about how people navigate the city centre. That means removing as many cars as possible. Fossil-fuelled SUVs, in particular, should be taxed into oblivion, or just banned outright. This does not mean penalising people who need to drive commercial vehicles for work, electric taxis, or obviously people with mobility issues. It also means a lot of thinking needs to be done around how people on lower incomes aren’t excessively penalised. Multiple new public – and free – transport options have to be provided simultaneously. That is essential.

Multi-story car parks should be removed from the city centre and placed on the outskirts with free electric transport into the city. Most car-parking spaces should also be removed. As car use decreases, we are going to need a car amnesty, where families can swap their car for bikes and scooters.

Cars are parked 95 per cent of the time. They clutter streets, paths and roads. Get rid of them. The bad faith, hairsplitting arguments and selfish hysteria of middle-class drivers in particular carries no weight in a climate emergency. Of course, there should be exceptions for those who genuinely need their cars on the road. Positive change needs to be logical change. But if you want to keep your car in the city centre out of personal convenience, that simply does not, should not and cannot override public health, or Ireland’s embarrassing languishing on emissions targets. We need to skip the phoney, predictable, cynical “debates”, radio phone-in outrage and populist “push back”, and just do it.

She should stick to catfishing gay teens and making up stories about men with dogs attacking refugees.

A demented liar.

You may as well be linking Gemma O'Doherty.

Vehicle usage also falls under "pleasure" (as stated in your insurance policy). I was in West Cark and Kerry yesterday on the bike and clocked up well over 400 kms. After a rough week at home it did me really good (mentally) and I actually forgot all the shit going on in my head for a few hours. People need to remember that some of us like driving. The Model T helped people "escape" their existence in the early 1900s and that should not be forgotten. Oh yeah, fuck electric motorcycles. I'd rather a horse.

Less cars in urban areas means more bicycles.

Also this:

The bad faith, hairsplitting arguments and selfish hysteria of middle-class drivers in particular carries no weight in a climate emergency.

🤣
😂it does in me eye. We’ve cycle lanes all over the city and very few cyclists. And many of those that cycle chose not to use them. Tax payers money wasted on facilitating a hobby for a cosy clique.

Less cars in urban areas means more bicycles.

Also this:

The bad faith, hairsplitting arguments and selfish hysteria of middle-class drivers in particular carries no weight in a climate emergency.

🤣

Bigoted essayist in the most parochial paper in Ireland assumes all cars are ICE powered.

In tomorrow’s edition: all Irish people are white.

🙄

Vehicle usage also falls under "pleasure" (as stated in your insurance policy). I was in West Cark and Kerry yesterday on the bike and clocked up well over 400 kms. After a rough week at home it did me really good (mentally) and I actually forgot all the shit going on in my head for a few hours. People need to remember that some of us like driving. The Model T helped people "escape" their existence in the early 1900s and that should not be forgotten. Oh yeah, fuck electric motorcycles. I'd rather a horse.
Good point, I love getting away from the city at the weekends, I could do so in an electric car in the future but for now it's an ICE that gets me where I want to go. It's in urban areas that the dominance of the car needs to be tackled, there is more known now about the negative effects of pollution from vehicle fumes on human health and on that basis alone we need to promote active travel more.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..
More events ▼