Cyclists

Was that the inbound lane and which way were they cycling?
Not condoning cycling the path but leaving the city is very dangerous.
He was cycling towards the city. There was also a cyclist cycling out of the city on the same path which I had no issue with because as you say cycling on that road is very dangerous.

Volkswagon are planning to introduce electric cars in the €20k price range in the next 2 years if you can wait. I think there will be better choices as time goes on.

The company caught rotten cheating on their emission tests and whose PR was in the absolute gutter in terms of green, even they are PLANNING to introdce cheaper electric cars in 2 years?

🥱

Is it illegal for a cyclist to cycle on the road one handed while holding on to a 2nd bike with the other hand.

Not as bad as the tw@ts (plural) who seem to think it's some kind of badge of honour to cycle out on main roads with neither hand on the handlebars - they're F**ktards auditioning for the Darwin Awards.

Driving down Parnell Place on Thursday evening and a Deliveroo cyclist cycling the wrong way down the street. The street has a cycle lane. Deliveroo riders should be banned.

Una cleaning house here. I never thought I'd find myself saying that. 👍

Most cars have to go. People can fight this all they want, but it has to happen. The first part of that vision needs to be about how people navigate the city centre. That means removing as many cars as possible. Fossil-fuelled SUVs, in particular, should be taxed into oblivion, or just banned outright. This does not mean penalising people who need to drive commercial vehicles for work, electric taxis, or obviously people with mobility issues. It also means a lot of thinking needs to be done around how people on lower incomes aren’t excessively penalised. Multiple new public – and free – transport options have to be provided simultaneously. That is essential.

Multi-story car parks should be removed from the city centre and placed on the outskirts with free electric transport into the city. Most car-parking spaces should also be removed. As car use decreases, we are going to need a car amnesty, where families can swap their car for bikes and scooters.

Cars are parked 95 per cent of the time. They clutter streets, paths and roads. Get rid of them. The bad faith, hairsplitting arguments and selfish hysteria of middle-class drivers in particular carries no weight in a climate emergency. Of course, there should be exceptions for those who genuinely need their cars on the road. Positive change needs to be logical change. But if you want to keep your car in the city centre out of personal convenience, that simply does not, should not and cannot override public health, or Ireland’s embarrassing languishing on emissions targets. We need to skip the phoney, predictable, cynical “debates”, radio phone-in outrage and populist “push back”, and just do it.

Una cleaning house here. I never thought I'd find myself saying that. 👍

Most cars have to go. People can fight this all they want, but it has to happen. The first part of that vision needs to be about how people navigate the city centre. That means removing as many cars as possible. Fossil-fuelled SUVs, in particular, should be taxed into oblivion, or just banned outright. This does not mean penalising people who need to drive commercial vehicles for work, electric taxis, or obviously people with mobility issues. It also means a lot of thinking needs to be done around how people on lower incomes aren’t excessively penalised. Multiple new public – and free – transport options have to be provided simultaneously. That is essential.

Multi-story car parks should be removed from the city centre and placed on the outskirts with free electric transport into the city. Most car-parking spaces should also be removed. As car use decreases, we are going to need a car amnesty, where families can swap their car for bikes and scooters.

Cars are parked 95 per cent of the time. They clutter streets, paths and roads. Get rid of them. The bad faith, hairsplitting arguments and selfish hysteria of middle-class drivers in particular carries no weight in a climate emergency. Of course, there should be exceptions for those who genuinely need their cars on the road. Positive change needs to be logical change. But if you want to keep your car in the city centre out of personal convenience, that simply does not, should not and cannot override public health, or Ireland’s embarrassing languishing on emissions targets. We need to skip the phoney, predictable, cynical “debates”, radio phone-in outrage and populist “push back”, and just do it.
What’s that got to do with cyclists though? This is a cyclists thread.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

29th Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Peader O Callaghan

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼