The Kerry Babies Case

How would that account for a hush up? Unless he was a very powerful person in the community or church, which i don't think was the case.

Also, what hush up? The reason this case is remembered is that it brought forth a huge public response.

It's also remembered because of the hush-up. No one in the town would talk to journalists. The death wasn't reported in local papers, the Gardai did not put out a press release, it was only because Emily O'Reilly did investigative reporting that it made the newspapers at all.

It's also remembered because of the hush-up. No one in the town would talk to journalists. The death wasn't reported in local papers, the Gardai did not put out a press release, it was only because Emily O'Reilly did investigative reporting that it made the newspapers at all.

In the initial days it was hushed up, but it broke fairly quickly.

Why would the guards issue a press release for a death by natural causes?

maxresdefault.jpg

:lol!:

It's heresy evidence at best. She didn't tell him that she was assaulted and bruised thighs are not definitive evidence of assault.

More fundamentally, though, how do you investigate a rape when you have no rape victim?
heresy evidence? You going full Canon Lawyer?

If the kid could stand up in the stand and say what he saw, it would be eyewitness, not hearsay.

I'm not trying to make a criminal case, why are you acting as devil's advocate?

If you can have a murder case without a body, you can have a rape case without a victim.

Do you know something that I don't that makes you believe no crime was committed?

I guess we can agree that the case was 'investigated', maybe even more thoroughly than paedophile priests were 'investigated' around the same time and let's just agree to differ beyond that.

heresy evidence? You going full Canon Lawyer?

If the kid could stand up in the stand and say what he saw, it would be eyewitness, not hearsay.

I'm not trying to make a criminal case, why are you acting as devil's advocate?

If you can have a murder case without a body, you can have a rape case without a victim.

Do you know something that I don't that makes you believe no crime was committed?

I guess we can agree that the case was 'investigated', maybe even more thoroughly than paedophile priests were 'investigated' around the same time and let's just agree to differ beyond that.

You are trying to make a criminal case.

You are giving out about the guards not investigating whether or not she was raped, without there being a shred of evidence that she was raped.

You can have a murder case without a body, but only with other compelling evidence. There is no other evidence that she was raped, and no her boyfriend saying that she had bruises on her thighs is not evidence.

Why is it that you think this should have been investigated as rape? And again, given that you didn't answer the last time, how do the guards investigate a rape when there is no rape victim and no rape complaint?

What do you understand by 'hushed up'? There was and apparently still is a virtual omerta in the town about it.

Do you know anyone from Granard? I do, and I have seen no evidence of an omerta. People get embarrassed by the fact that it is the thing that people most associate with their village, which I can kinda understand.

You seem to think that some forces ( presumably the church) are forcing people to keep quiet on it. I don't see that.

If something is 'hushed up' I wouldn't expect to be able to access lots of articles, podcasts, and opinion pieces on it.

Do you know anyone from Granard? I do, and I have seen no evidence of an omerta. People get embarrassed by the fact that it is the thing that people most associate with their village, which I can kinda understand.

You seen to think that some forces ( presumably the church) are forcing people to keep quiet on it. I don't see that.
I don't know anyone from Granard, I can imagine people are embarrassed.

I don't think people are forced to keep quiet but it is pretty notable that people didn't talk about it.

How would that account for a hush up? Unless he was a very powerful person in the community or church, which i don't think was the case.

Also, what hush up? The reason this case is remembered is that it brought forth a huge public response.
🤔
Granard was a small town Mattie under the firm grip of the church. They possibly didn't want the bad reputation that would have followed such a revelation.
I don't know if you remember the nun from Anne Lovett's school speaking after the tragedy. I don't think she could have been colder or more unfeeling in her statement. A speak your weight machine would have shown more feeling imo.
Just my opinion on it Mattie ok. I don't have inside info on the tragedy.

Last edited:
You are trying to make a criminal case.

You are giving out about the guards not investigating whether or not she was raped, without there being a shred of evidence that she was raped.

You can have a murder case without a body, but only with other compelling evidence. There is no other evidence that she was raped, and no her boyfriend saying that she had bruises on her thighs is not evidence.

Why is it that you think this should have been investigated as rape? And again, given that you didn't answer the last time, how do the guards investigate a rape when there is no rape victim and no rape complaint?

I'm not trying to make a criminal case, I'm just casting doubt on your assertion that it was investigated, with the knowledge of how other cases were 'investigated' at the time.

I don't have to prove that any crime was committed, though statutory rape seems most likely.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: The Gong Show

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼