The Action Plan for Housing.

I'd stick up some more pics of empty cycle lanes but I'd only be told it's the wrong time or theres no pedestrians either :rolleyes:
They're absolute nuts if they think we're going to become a nation of cyclists just because they put up cycle lanes.

Look out the window right now, and anyone cycling to Work in it has a screw loose. And that's true for a very high portion of the year. Make public transport cheap, affordable and RELIABLE.

It is made out of mass concrete and by the time you punch windows and door openings through it it will just fall down.
Yeah, I wasn't being entirely serious, I genuinely like that building though, it is part of Cork's heritage but of course the apartments are much needed.

Going back to the situation in Ballinrobe, AHB jumping in ahead of buyers who had paid deposits is not a good look, if that is indeed what happened.

Diarmuid Ferriter was saying today that the (permanent) housing emergency could bring the government down, the fallout from ending the eviction ban will be watched very closely by Leo & co.

They set up the ban with no clear exit strategy as far as I can see and will pay the price over the coming months.

They're absolute nuts if they think we're going to become a nation of cyclists just because they put up cycle lanes.

Look out the window right now, and anyone cycling to Work in it has a screw loose. And that's true for a very high portion of the year. Make public transport cheap, affordable and RELIABLE.

Couldn't agree more.

They've put in mile upon mile of cycle lanes for no other reason than to be able to say they've put in X amount of cycle lanes. They're not being used in any great number. They might suit the 5k or so who occasionally cycle in from the suburbs but you look them at any time of day and they're mostly empty.

A total waste of time and money.

Install a light rail network if you want to encourage people to cycle. Installing cycling infrastructure with no accompanying improvements in public is utterly braindead.

And they wanto put more in place at the expense of people parking outside their homes. The Greens are going to get annihilated in the local and general elections.

And we can thank the Greens for putting the most unnecessary cycle lane anywhere in the city there and making more congestion.

Doesn't more congestion equal more pollution?
Now hold it right there!

This area has in recent years had an Aldi and McDonalds added to it, you have regular events at both stadiums too, there was traffic bedlam a few weeks ago when the posh boys were playing their rugby match at Musgrave Park, you can't blame everything on cycle lanes.

I sometimes have occasion to cycle along Pearse Road which has no cycle lane and tbh it's fine as it is, but if cycle lanes encourage kids to cycle to school etc then they are to be welcomed.

As for the weather, there are not that many days when it's so bad that you can't cycle to work, this week was bad alright, I admit that.

All through primary and secondary school I never got spins, apart from the first year or two of primary I made my own way to school either on foot or by bike, it's nuts that so many kids are being dropped and collected from school each day.

There was no need for a cycle lane there because the lane where the bus stop was was too all intents and purposes a lane that cyclist could use, as it was plenty wide enough for cars and bikes.

It's a complete waste of bloody money what they've done there. People who want to cycle to work, school, etc in clement weather would cycle anyway. Now they've just added more congestion to what was already a very busy junction at peak times.

And as Hank says, most if the cycle lanes in the City seem empty to me most of the time too.

I use public transport too for going to work in the city centre. It's grand, I can stick the headphones in and listen to a podcast or audio book. But when you're going to work it can be damn annoying to be left waiting for a half hour to an hour in the pissing rain and freezing cold, and I wouldn't blame anyone who uses their car instead.

Also, I'm relatively young and healthy so it's a minor inconvenience to me, but I've often been at the stops with an elderly or disabled person and it's a lot more hardship for them, believe me.

The Greens attitude seems to be to me, to be fuck them, more cycle lanes is what we need and don't anyone dare disagree with us. If you do you're an uncaring brute with no thought for the younger generation. Which is not true as I voted for them in the last election, because I think the environment is our most important issue.

But all these greens seem to want is more tax and more cycle lanes. No, build a good public transport system and people will get out of the cars and into buses. Building cycle lanes won't make them ditch their car in any great numbers.

Now hold it right there!

This area has in recent years had an Aldi and McDonalds added to it, you have regular events at both stadiums too, there was traffic bedlam a few weeks ago when the posh boys were playing their rugby match at Musgrave Park, you can't blame everything on cycle lanes.

I sometimes have occasion to cycle along Pearse Road which has no cycle lane and tbh it's fine as it is, but if cycle lanes encourage kids to cycle to school etc then they are to be welcomed.

As for the weather, there are not that many days when it's so bad that you can't cycle to work, this week was bad alright, I admit that.

All through primary and secondary school I never got spins, apart from the first year or two of primary I made my own way to school either on foot or by bike, it's nuts that so many kids are being dropped and collected from school each day.
Cycled to secondary school for years with my friends and then cycled to college and work after college until I could afford a car and also got an annual bus ticket at some stage.

Now people have electric bikes and scooters etc and are not spending all their cash on fuel, a maintenance, parking and car insurance etc.

Spot on. From the Jazz weekend to April you couldn't cycle to work. Ryan is a psycho. The greens need ousting asap.
And from April to October the weather is still hit and miss.

Cycled to secondary school for years with my friends and then cycled to college and work after college until I could afford a car and also got an annual bus ticket at some stage.

Now people have electric bikes and scooters etc and are not spending all their cash on fuel, a maintenance, parking and car insurance etc.
Escooters make a lot of sense for short urban commutes, if I was in my 20s I'd have one along with a bicycle. With Ebikes you're getting into a bigger capital outlay and I'm not sure how many years you'd get out of one.

Spot on. From the Jazz weekend to April you couldn't cycle to work. Ryan is a psycho. The greens need ousting asap.
And from April to October the weather is still hit and miss.
Not true, you are FGS news, I cycle regularly and haven't gotten one bad wetting in the last 6 months. Some days are unsuitable for cycling but you can judge the weather pretty well on any given day between looking at the sky and using weather apps.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼