The Kerry Babies Case

Between the Kerry Babies and the Anne Lovett case as well as 100s of other cases of dead babies that were never investigated or probably never found, Ireland was a sad, sick, repressed, priest ridden society not so long ago.
Ann Lovett's case was investigated. Both she and her baby died in childbirth.

The death was pretty much hushed up at first.

Were the circumstances of how she got pregnant investigated? I don't know, tragic story though.
I think there was an initial attempt to hush it up maybe but once it was on the 'what's in the papers ' section of the following Fridays LLS it sparked huge interest. There was a huge outpouring of emotion about it, esp on Gay Byrnes radio show.

Iirc the father was her boyfriend of the time. There's a really good podcast on it but I can't remember who did it at the moment. If I remember I'll throw up a link.

I think there was an initial attempt to hush it up maybe but once it was on the 'what's in the papers ' section of the following Fridays LLS it sparked huge interest. There was a huge outpouring of emotion about it, esp on Gay Byrnes radio show.

Iirc the father was her boyfriend of the time. There's a really good podcast on it but I can't remember who did it at the moment. If I remember I'll throw up a link.
LLS was on Saturday, Emily O'Reilly for the Sunday Tribune wrote the initial report after going to the funeral in Granard.

The boyfriend was a teenager of a similar age, he came forward a couple of years ago.

He moved to England soon after iirc, but I don't know whether it was ever properly investigated at the time.

edit - according to wikipedia, in his interview
According to McDonnell, Fr Quinn then brought him to the palace of Dr Colm O'Reilly, then Bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise, who wanted to know what he had told the police. O’Reilly, was alleged to have ordered him to kiss his ring, describing it as the seal of St Peter, and swore him to a vow of silence.

ok, nothing to see here, move along folks.

LLS was on Saturday, Emily O'Reilly for the Sunday Tribune wrote the initial report after going to the funeral in Granard.

The boyfriend was a teenager of a similar age, he came forward a couple of years ago.

He moved to England soon after iirc, but I don't know whether it was ever properly investigated at the time.

edit - according to wikipedia, in his interview

ok, nothing to see here, move along folks.
When you say " properly investigated ", what crime ( apart from her being underage) do you suspect?

When you say " properly investigated ", what crime ( apart from her being underage) do you suspect?
Well her being underage was a crime in itself presumably. Any number of crimes could have been perpertrated in addition.

Straightforward rape, for example. Child abuse. Are you sure all that was investigated?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Inspiration The Poor Relation (Open Mic Night)

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼