The next Government

Who will form the next government

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There won’t be any election in November. Senior government sources means one minister thinks they should. The party leaders have repeatedly said they want the government to go to term. And it’s in their best interests politically that it does.
It's not in their political interests. Unless they are acting as a collective and not as leaders of independent parties. It certainly is not in Green's interest. I'd argue it's not in FF interests either.

FG at mid 20s are where they are going to be.

The budget will give them a bounce and as with all elections, boundary changes will usually favour the incumbents. Not sure the country can wait til late 24.

It's not in their political interests. Unless they are acting as a collective and not as leaders of independent parties. It certainly is not in Green's interest. I'd argue it's not in FF interests either.

The budget will give them a bounce and as with all elections, boundary changes will usually favour the incumbents. Not sure the country can wait til late 24.
They won’t get any credit for the budget unless they reduce the pension age to 65, increase public sector pay by 10% and add €20 a week to all social welfare rates. Only so much they can give away.

Soundy please tell me that if SF are in government they wont have T Gould as a minister or junior minister.

Hard to know for sure BB. Tommy is actually a very genuine guy and very well thought of in his community and GAA Club where he was chairman for years. He may come across a bit wooden in his delivery and with a very strong northside accent but he IS after all from the northside and he's certainly not false.

As for his being made a Minister, or even a Junior Minister, I doubt it. But then again, one never knows - look at Bothsides Buttimer and he's the leader of the Seanad FFS.

Perhaps they view Sinn Fein's current slump as the best opportunity to go to the country.

Personally I think they'll tough it out.

Probably but governments are never rewarded for calling an early election. Backfired spectacularly in 1989 for Haughey and in 1977 for Cosgrave.
Yea but this isn't then. Housing, waiting lists, trollies, infrastructure are long standing issues for a government that through constructive opposition, confidence and supply and now coalition have been around for over 10 years. I fully expect them to be returned in some guise or other but if there is a torpedo in the water at the time you MUST have an election it will impact their chances.

If you look at when the referendum or referenda are being pencilled in, couple it with the budget and the boundary changes going active, I think LV will pull the trigger. MM has no skin in the game as I still doubt he is running next time out and Ryan will be thrown to the wolves in that scenario.

I could be completely wrong, but I would hedge at Q4 23 or Q1 24 GE, it also precludes the need for extensive canvassing, putting the campaigning online alot and that is where LV will excel.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Ger Wolfe
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Light and Shade

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼