Training Run Times

I'll be running Dungarvan Sunday. Have yet to push myself at the 10 mile distance.
I've been doing some good track running but I've slacked in recent weeks on longer weekend runs.

I ran a fast 10km about 3 weeks ago so at the moment my plan of attack is try that pace again, my big fear is the adrenaline kicks in and push it 10% too much and I'm goosed after 5/6 miles.
Im in a similar situation, my aim is to dip under 85 mins, well capable on recent training runs but trying to work out how to run it,
Might go with 3 miles sections at 25 mins leaving me with a bit of breathing space last mile, last 1.5 miles are mainly uphill AFAIR,

Im in a similar situation, my aim is to dip under 85 mins, well capable on recent training runs but trying to work out how to run it,
Might go with 3 miles sections at 25 mins leaving me with a bit of breathing space last mile, last 1.5 miles are mainly uphill AFAIR,

Ya, I have no knowledge of the course apart from online reading.

Its described as a flat fast course so when you say hills I presume you mean more of a drag?

Weather looks fairly perfect right now, 10 degrees, no wind

Did I hear there would be pacers there? Was talking to a guy yesterday who paced there but I'm not sure did he mean official or just as a pacer for club mates

Last edited:
Ya, I've no knowledge of the course really.

Heard it can be pretty windy/exposed.

Are we talking hills or drags?

Ya, I have no knowledge of the course apart from online reading.

Its described as a flat fast course so when you say hills I presume you mean more of a drag?

Weather looks fairly perfect right now, 10 degrees, no wind

Did I hear there would be pacers there? Was talking to a guy yesterday who paced there but I'm not sure did he mean official or just as a pacer for club mates
I think around mile 8 there is a drag, mile 9 sees you turn back onto the main road and a bit of a climb, not too severe,
There will be pacers there, im tempted to go with the 85 pacer and trust myself not to get carried away , Ideally see where i am after 8 miles and
if i feel strong kick on ahead of the pacer,

A little birdie tells me part of the course in Dungarvan has been freshly tarmacced around 7 mile mark and should be able to
pick up speed there,

I find pacers are always handy and take the stress out of the situation.

Went for a short run in Tramore Valley Park and they’ve resurfaced the whole thing with a nice smooth tarmac. Mad exposed out there with the wind though.

Jaysus, been an age since I've reported back here. Training has been up and down with the old hip, at the moment I'm getting out about 5 times a week. I think that'll be max until I can sort the body (Not sure I'll ever sort it tbh.) Thing is, I don't seem to be able to do speed or distance (!!) So, improvements are going to be even slower than I was hoping. I did a few single km reps on the track the other day - going in the 'wrong' direction - but Christ I only managed 4. Had been thinking of doing 6. Getting down below 4 mins/km was brutal. AND the hip hated it. Doing foam rolling every day now and it seems to be keeping me going. Did a session yesterday that surprised me. I was tipping away - in the Vaporflys admittedly..... - and decided to up the pace a bit. Got a few 4.30s followed by a couple of 4.20s and then even 4.11/4.12 for the last two before cool down. I was chuffed with that! (I have since realised that 4.12/km is my marathon pb pace from three years ago. Oh, dear.
Still though.... I'm getting out and making incredibly slow and small improvements. I have a 10k in 5 weeks' time. I'm hoping to do it in about 41.30 or something and then a Half maybe a couple of weeks later. Target would be about 1.33 or thereabouts, all going well. Any news on the Terrier at all these days? Pounding Road has been on the injured list too I believe. I see him doing a few runs on Strava. Heads up lads, and do post every now and again.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nicole Maguire
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

25th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼