Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Cork have 3 weeks from league final to 1st round of championship, surely the league is worth going after & getting a few proper games instead of a different team every week & uncertainty come c/ship time . We don’t have a settled team to fall back on come c/ship so maybe it’s time to try get settled and build from there.

Last year we beat limerick and clare in the league by a combined total of 20 points.Come the championship we lost to clare by 2 points,and limerick by 9 points. It is better to keep your powder dry until the championship.

In 2020 Limerick won every league game and won the A-I. In 2022 Limerick lost every league game (except Offaly which imo you can't count) and won the A-I.
The only people who can gauge performance in the league is management as they are the ones who know where the team are at in terms if S&C, prep, focus etc etc.

It will be interesting to see over the next few years what impact the condensed season has.. over the last 6/7 years the league has been an excellent stepping stone and a barometer of how strong a team are and how well they are going with winners of the league winning the All Ireland that year or the following most of the time, I think Waterford in 2015 the only group who won a league and didn’t go on to win Liam McCarthy.

In 2020 Limerick won every league game and won the A-I. In 2022 Limerick lost every league game (except Offaly which imo you can't count) and won the A-I.
The only people who can gauge performance in the league is management as they are the ones who know where the team are at in terms if S&C, prep, focus etc etc.
Sense. Absolute sense. We don’t know what their plan for the year is. We have to trust it.

Sense. Absolute sense. We don’t know what their plan for the year is. We have to trust it.
I think it depends on what phase a team & group of players are at.. in the building and maintenance phase inter county management seem to go hard for the league, as a building block initially and then to introduce new blood .. when a team has found it’s level, All Irelands won & mileage up on the clock the management have a different attitude and might hold off for the earlier rounds…
It’s generally the same with football, except for Ulster football teams who have had to mind themselves for the thunderdome that is the USFC.

Last year we beat limerick and clare in the league by a combined total of 20 points.Come the championship we lost to clare by 2 points,and limerick by 9 points. It is better to keep your powder dry until the championship.

Maybe - Waterford had a great league last year but were very flat come championship.

Hoggy is a squad player and no more. His work rate and movement are very poor. If he was scoring 1-4 from play regularly, then it might be possible to carry him. He has not come near that for a long time - more often than not his contribution from play is 1/2 points. It was the correct decision last year to bench him and this year I see him as a 15/20 minute player.

Sorry now but if you've a forward regularly scoring 1-4 from play you're not carrying him. If the other forwards score anything similar then you're going to be winning every game because others chip in with scores too and the opposition are going to be at their wits end on which forwards to actually mark because they all regularly score 1-4 from play.

Hoggie certainly wasn't at his best but it likely didn't help that someone in the management made little secret of not rating him. Hopefully for everybody's sake Hoggie has an "indian summer" and scores a hatful this season - because it's 99% looking like his last. And don't forget, as well as scoring Hoggie does a lot of setting up scores too.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼