Cork Hurlers - Part 2

That same group of players have being hammering us by 8-16 points a game since when not matters. Along with winning all the all irelands.

The idea that we had an equivalent level of talent in 2018 just because we ran them close in their breakout year is fanciful to say the least.

Utter delusional shite.
Bull, we were their equals in 2018, the game was there for us but we couldn’t close it out, that game made that Limerick team and they have gone from strength to strength since, we went backwards

I expected Fitz and Coleman to be two of the best in the game when they burst onto the scene.
Both are fabulous hurlers but have so far lacked the physical fortitude to do damage, they both play on the edge of a game not in the heat of the battle. If anyone can change that i think Pat Ryan might be the man

Bull, we were their equals in 2018, the game was there for us but we couldn’t close it out, that game made that Limerick team and they have gone from strength to strength since, we went backwards
We weren’t really though. They had a bench that day and we didn’t. It’s not a 15 man game anymore.

Ciaran Joyce, Sean O'Donoghue and Tim O'Mahony should be the mainstays or certain starters on the Cork team but previous manangements hadn't a clue where to play Tim, he simply has to be in an attacking position, either mid-field, wing-forward or full-forward. If he is fit for the early rounds of the league he should start centre-field. Within the current panel Patrick Collins is a certain starter unless Pat Ryan names Cathal Hickey in goal and Hickey agrees to play this late in his career, the only other option is he delves into Ben O'Connors U-20 panel and picks one of them 3 young 'keepers.

Whatever criticism is labelled at Declan Dalton he certainly brings physicality, he wont be bullied, he has hurling and he should be the future long term free taker over Shane Kingston and Conor Lehane. His lack of pace is an issue but Cork have plenty forwards with pace and a proper mix is what's required. Dalton certainly has plenty to offer whether it's as a starter or coming off the bench. Brian Hayes and Cormac Beausang also bring plenty diversity to an attack which already possessed good forwards but never gelled because too many of the same type of player were selected together and the supply lines were not direct.

If the selectors do their job Cork certainly have the forwards to be AI contenders but the defence is a huge issue. Regarding defenders the panel is too confined with a likelihood of Niall O'Leary and Sean O'Donoghue both corner-backs for championship or even earlier and Conor O'Callaghan, Eoin Roche and Sean O'Leary Hayes the cover. Robert Downey the likely full-back with Daire O'Leary and Damien Cahalane the cover and Eoin Downey, Ciaran Joyce and Ger Millerick (if fit) the best possible half-back line with Damien Cahalane and Cormac O'Brien as cover.

As I stated Tim O'Mahony should be the mainstay in mid-field unless Ben O'Connor becomes available later in the year with either Ethan Twomey or Darragh Fitz. Brian Roche, Brian O'Sullivan and Tommy O'Connell are all cover here but Roche and O'Connell should also be cover for half-forward and half-back respectively.

As I also stated the key to the forwards will be selecting the proper mix, the selectors certainly can't go with Lehane, Kingston and J.O'C in the same attack, the league should tell us a lot regarding the starting 6 come championship.

Last edited:
True but I’m talking about now, 2023, I don’t think he’s equipped to start
Not right now, sure. Let's see what happens in the league. He was badly in need of a boost after last year, so 1-1 inside a minute is good news. If he gets back to his 2021 form he would be a huge asset. I hope he gets game time in the league and that he is played much closer to goal - I really don't think the floating half-forward position that he played for Cork and Sars last year suits either him or the team.

It’ll be interesting to see how Cork shape up this year with tactics. Pat Ryan’s comments on Sunday were interesting I thought. Maybe they are driving everything long now to get used to contesting arial battles. Might serve us well come championship to be more unpredictable and better able to mix the play up a bit. Don’t need to go long all the time but don’t need to go short all the time either.

I'm not so sure about O'Mahony in a midfield role. Definitely worth trying there in the league, but to my mind he is a more limited player than some people suggest. I have never seen him as the kind of player who scraps for dirty ball or holds up opponents in the tackle. His concentration and positioning was a problem when he played in defence, and that might also be a factor at midfield. And I still think he tends to take big swings, making him vulnerable to being hooked. He brings big positives in terms of running with the ball and shielding it from his marker when he gets out in front to win it, so I agree that there should be a place for him in the front eight. But I also think he'll need a fair bit of coaching to smooth off the rough edges to his game.

In the league, I reckon he should get a game or two at midfield with O'Sullivan or Roche, but also spend time at wing-forward or FF.

Not right now, sure. Let's see what happens in the league. He was badly in need of a boost after last year, so 1-1 inside a minute is good news. If he gets back to his 2021 form he would be a huge asset. I hope he gets game time in the league and that he is played much closer to goal - I really don't think the floating half-forward position that he played for Cork and Sars last year suits either him or the team.
Agreed. An on form Jack would be a huge option. He does need games and maybe he will start against Limerick as the selectors haven’t seen much of him in action

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

26th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼