Cork Footballers

His first action last night when introduced was a Hail Mary shot which is not to be expected from a senior player…..his kicking is poor for this level, his strength is running with the ball and this would suggest his best use is in the last 20 minutes of a game, a squad player and if he is starting I would worry as it means we really haven’t sorted the half forward line. Sweeney seems to have lost some confidence as his long range kicking was a real strength previously, his work rate is good as it is across the team which is a good sign, however with O’Driscoll and powter we are in a stronger position in the half forward already, based on our weak kickouts I would think management will be looking at o’hanlon on one wing to offer another kickout option
Deane has been effective v Kerry because their biggest weakness is when opposition run at them with pace. But his kicking is not IC level and he doesn't have great vision to pass. However, he will be a valuable squad player. It will be very interesting to see how long it takes O Hanlon to get back to IC level after such a long time out.
If he recovers his form, he could be a big player for us.

McSweeney is not "my boy" he's touch and go to be starting. The fact Deane booted the ball wide as soon as he got on the pitch was no surprise to the crowd who've watched him for ten years. He seems to have a remarkable number of fans on here.
A very Poor attempt at revisionist history.. Deane Acknowledged as one of Corks best players in 18,19 & 20. Rònàn Mc said he was a top 10 player in the country.. Ricken is the only Cork manager that would agree with your view on Deane in the last 8 years- I’ll say no more!!
Deane was excellent for Bantry in the championship particularly the semi and quarters - he was injured for the final and along with O Driscoll was the main man for Carbery in senior.
These are all just facts. And if Cork management were serious they had to call him back on form- this is a brilliant message to send out- play well in the club championship and Cork will come looking. That’s the way it always should be.
And for the avoidance of doubt I’m not living in Bantry or west cork and have never met Deane nor anyone related to him. I do attend at least 200 club games a year .. as a supporter, coach or selector.
With Deane at about 31 years of age it would of course be better if we had younger men nailing down the wing forward spot.. At this stage we don’t at all.. and to me at the moment for wing forward it’s down to 2 from 3 older guys of O Driscoll, O Rourke & Deane. Maybe O Hanlon comes roaring back into it in the league after long term injury or McSweeney lifts it again, or someone else steps up.

If we had a dozen players with the same heart as R Deane we would not be down in Div 2. He made not be the most skillful footballer but he would go through a wall for the footballers. Would not have him on the 1st 15 but deffo in the subs. Luke Fahy has impressed me ,saw him 1st against Nemo and was impressed with him.then and again last Friday. If L O Donovan doe not make it back we could do worse. Saturday night will tell us how we are going,i would take a 1 point victory.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼