Russia's unjustifiable war of aggression in Ukraine

Such a civilized, articulate and stimulating discussion. The Duran is one of the very few places one can go for an honest and real discussion of world events. This one, between three highly informed academics (two Brits and a Norwegian) is a real keeper that everyone should bookmark and share.

YOU DECIDE !

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
  • Overall, we rate The Duran as a Questionable source based on far-right-wing bias, promotion of Russian propaganda, right-wing conspiracies, a lack of transparency, use of poor sources, plagiarism, and failed fact checks.

Detailed Report​

Reasoning: Russian Propaganda, Conspiracy, Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency, Plagiarism, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: FAR RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

History

Founded in 2016, The Duran is a strongly right-leaning news and opinion website with ties to Russian state media. Based in Cyprus, the website’s editor is Alexander Mercouris, who in 2012 was disbarred as an attorney in London. According to the Telegraph, he then went on to become a “pro-Russian commentator on world affairs for Russian TV news outlets and websites.”

The Duran’s director is Peter Lavelle, the host of RT’s (Russian state news outlet) political debate program CrossTalk.

In 2018, the right-leaning Weekly Standard accused The Duran of peddling Russian “Fake News.”

The website does not provide an about page, mission statement, funding, or obvious ownership information.

Another gesture of Goodwill! :rolleyes:

The head of Ukraine’s state-run nuclear energy firm said on Sunday there were signs that Russian forces might be preparing to leave the vast Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant which they seized in March soon after their invasion. “One gets the impression they’re packing their bags and stealing everything they can,” Petro Kotin, head of Energoatom, said on national television.

Interesting ISW analysis of Russian positions east of Kherson.

Interesting ISW analysis of Russian positions east of Kherson.

Interesting read. It is becoming apparent that the Russian army has been defeated and degraded to a point where it is no longer capable of mounting any major offensive operations. Indeed the "second greatest army in the world" has been reduced to digging WW1 type trenches in an effort to hang on. They can only trench the roads. I doubt if the Ukrainians will try a frontal assault down the roads. The Ukrainians will get in behind them and it will Be another Marginot rout. Putin has got himself into a very deep hole and the western powers should be thinking of giving him an escape route as a cornered rat with atomic weapons can hurt a lot of people.

Interesting read. It is becoming apparent that the Russian army has been defeated and degraded to a point where it is no longer capable of mounting any major offensive operations. Indeed the "second greatest army in the world" has been reduced to digging WW1 type trenches in an effort to hang on. They can only trench the roads. I doubt if the Ukrainians will try a frontal assault down the roads. The Ukrainians will get in behind them and it will Be another Marginot rout. Putin has got himself into a very deep hole and the western powers should be thinking of giving him an escape route as a cornered rat with atomic weapons can hurt a lot of people.
I've read their stuff through out the war and they're usually fairly measured. Reading that report it looks like the "digging in" east of Kherson is not to be seen as an impenetrable Russian fortress. More that it's possible to push them back but probably with high casualties.

Seems mad Russia wouldn't have made the Kinburn spit a no-go zone but Ukrainians seem to have wedged their way in there. If I was a Russian soldier anywhere near that I'd be shitting myself.

I've read their stuff through out the war and they're usually fairly measured. Reading that report it looks like the "digging in" east of Kherson is not to be seen as an impenetrable Russian fortress. More that it's possible to push them back but probably with high casualties.

Seems mad Russia wouldn't have made the Kinburn spit a no-go zone but Ukrainians seem to have wedged their way in there. If I was a Russian soldier anywhere near that I'd be shitting myself.
I draw attention to your words "high casualties" another war had high casualties and it went on for years, WW1.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼