Cyclists

Technology which you were praising earlier can pick 6 license plates PER SECOND on vehicles travelling multiples of the speed you suggest bikes get up to. I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility that advancements in technology are such that something the size of a rear reflector on a bicycle as another poster suggested, could be identified by cctv and the errant cyclist fined appropriately. Even dashcam footage (not just cyclists can record other road users you know) could be used in identifying the miscreants.

And if, as you claim, you "want everyone to follow the rules" you should have absolutely no problem with this.

Ive already addressed this.

The technology exists to recognise faces, not small postage stamp-sized QR codes. That is what you are after, China-style surveillance. Good luck with your lobbying.

Implement technology that only crimials and law breakers fear, no issue with that. Why is it that you think cyclists are above the law and should get away will disobeying the ROTR?

That line doesn't wash.

If you want to live in a police state then work away. Lobby for it. This is Ireland, not China and no one wants to live in a state where the masses are under the watchful eye of our 'masters'.

You and Soundy are on your own there.

That pdf doesn't answer any of the questions I asked.

I'll make it simple for you.

Is there anywhere in the world that currently uses QR codes on cars to track their movements, road tax, insurance and all that jazz?

I do know that there are advances in camera technology that can catch people on mobile phones, but these camera systems are incredibly expensive and are used on large highway-style junctions and overpasses where tens of thousands of cars use each day. Thus the volume of traffic perhaps justifies the cost.

In theory, let's say it can work for cyclists.
To say one can install a camera system on every junction in a city like Cork, where the guts of a million euro is to be spent to catch cyclists breaking a red light and fine them 40 euros is one of the stupidest ideas and waste of money I've heard in a long long time.

I was well aware of bike-sharing schemes around the world that has a QR code on a bike, that one can use via your phone and an app to unlock said bike. I know this because I've used them countless times on the continent.

That is a very different thing to having hundreds of thousands of cameras on roads to catch cyclists breaking the law.

People are conflating two different things.
How does putting QR code identifiers on bicycles equate to installing thousands of cameras on the roads?

You do realize there are an abundance of CCTV, dashcams, mobile phones and even crotchcams already out in the wild catching road traffic offences on a daily basis.

Are you willfully this fucking stupid or just a natural imbecile?

How does putting QR code identifiers on bicycles equate to installing thousands of cameras on the roads?

You do realize there are an abundance of CCTV, dashcams, mobile phones and even crotchcams already out in the wild catching road traffic offences on a daily basis.

Are you willfully this fucking stupid or just a natural imbecile?

And you think those cameras already in the field are advanced enough and have the high definition to pick out a unique QR code the size of a postage stamp from a considerable distance?

Are you that stupid, or just uneducated?

It's like say the camera on an iPhone is the same as the Hubble telescope or is at the same quality as a fixed focal prime 400m f/2.8 lens they use for wildlife photography.

That line doesn't wash.

If you want to live in a police state then work away. Lobby for it. This is Ireland, not China and no one wants to live in a state where the masses are under the watchful eye of our 'masters'.

You and Soundy are on your own there.
It washes perfectly well, the only people that would have an issue with that technology are criminals and law breakers, the rest of us would go about our business oblivious and in no fear.

And you think those cameras already in the field are advanced enough and have the high definition to pick out a unique QR code the size of a postage stamp from a considerable distance?

Are you that stupid, or just uneducated?

It's like say the camera on an iPhone is the same as the Hubble telescope or is at the same quality as a fixed focal prime 400m f/2.8 lens they use for wildlife photography.

The photo in the pdf you have questions about shows a QR code the same size as a tax disk and this can be read 100% accurately on a car travelling at cyclist speed.

If you have any technical questions about it contact the lads who did the study and let us know how you get on.

Try to avoid using rape analogies and photos of dead children when telling them what they did wrong in their tests.

Two things.

A badge or sticker of that size will be too small for any existing camera or human eye to make out the ID number, when a cyclist is going at any speed, so whats the point?

Lastly, no country in the world operates such a farce of a proposal. I wonder why? Or has PROC cracked this mystery?

you could just paint the serial number up the front fork or along the back so if it’s size you’re after. easily identifiable and with no cost to the cyclist.

i don’t see how a registration system for bikes is a bad thing. as i said before, if your bicycle was stolen you’d reference the serial number to the guards. if someone is cycling the wrong way up the south mall then the guards should also be notified of that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Aidan Killian - Comedian
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼