The Official Celtic Thread

Saw the "High"lights. Gawd but we spurned some gilt edged chances. :(

Still, if we're going to lose games I'm happy that it's in a friendly.
Abada and Kyogo missed sitters. It doesn't overly concern me. In a proper match we'd comfortably put 4/5 past them.

We are obviously a vastly superior side to Everton and they will do really well to get promoted back to the Premier league next season. I did think they were physically stronger than us which is a recurring theme I think. There's no chance they'll survive this year. None at all unless they make some real changes. I really hope I'm wrong as they have a great support.

I know friendlies are just that but you can get a feel for what formations and approach are like. Everton sat in and prayed for a chance to break. They are in a really bad spot. Lampard doesn't look like he knows how to change it....maupay is absolutely shite as well. They paid money for him... mental

Abada and Kyogo missed sitters. It doesn't overly concern me. In a proper match we'd comfortably put 4/5 past them.

We are obviously a vastly superior side to Everton and they will do really well to get promoted back to the Premier league next season. I did think they were physically stronger than us which is a recurring theme I think. There's no chance they'll survive this year. None at all unless they make some real changes. I really hope I'm wrong as they have a great support.

I know friendlies are just that but you can get a feel for what formations and approach are like. Everton sat in and prayed for a chance to break. They are in a really bad spot. Lampard doesn't look like he knows how to change it....maupay is absolutely shite as well. They paid money for him... mental

Lampard is clueless imho. Can't understand how he got the gig tbh.

Absolutely!

On a related note Celtic have today announced the signing of Koybaishi (sp?) a promising Japanese centrehalf from a club in Germany. Think he's 22 but must confess I know very little about him other than he's been much sought after by Ange.
They got the win all the same but didn't look dangerous until Maeda was replaced. Know nothing about him myself to be honest.

They got the win all the same but didn't look dangerous until Maeda was replaced. Know nothing about him myself to be honest.
Kobayashi is meant to have more potential than Itakura according to some folk I've listened to.... that doesn't mean much until he realises it.

I thought Maeda did OK in dragging lads about the place. He did a power of work defensively.... but yeah, it was only when Japan made a few changes that they looked dangerous. It was odd seeing him in that different role. Strange how different managers see different roles for players. For me, Maeda is far more effective in the role Ange has him. He's involved way more.

Kobayashi is meant to have more potential than Itakura according to some folk I've listened to.... that doesn't mean much until he realises it.

I thought Maeda did OK in dragging lads about the place. He did a power of work defensively.... but yeah, it was only when Japan made a few changes that they looked dangerous. It was odd seeing him in that different role. Strange how different managers see different roles for players. For me, Maeda is far more effective in the role Ange has him. He's involved way more.

Wouldn't know Itakura either but in fairness three of the four players that Ange has taken from Japan have been decent to say the least. I'm not a fan of Ideguchi tbh.

Think Maeda's best deployment is in being an absolute pest that won't give defenses a moment's rest. Not a proficient goal scorer, not a great "technician" either but fast, will chase "lost causes" all day long, and will work back. He makes the space for those around him to prosper I think but there's times he can be ineffective too.

I'd have Kyogo as a scorer of great goals rather than a great scorer of goals. I'd rather start GG, especially against more physical teams or on plastic pitches.

I think Hatate has been the best of the four Japanese imports so far - yeah he does make the occasional absolute howler but generally he's done very well picking out passes and controlling midfield in Calmac's absense.

Celtic's 4 World Cup players are all into the knock-out stages. That's great for them and their countries (Croatia, Japan, USA, and Oz but less recovery time for them coming back to us in the SPL. Next up is away to Aberdeen and we'll need to be ready to go.

Talks of GG stalling on a contract renewal - might have had his head turned by interest from down south 😞
Hope he doesn't go as he's the only out-and-out "big-boned" ;) finisher that we have and provides a great option change but if we must sell, then hopefully we can make big profit and reinvest elsewhere on a similar replacement.

In a classic Celtic move, they appoint Peter Lawwell as chairman of the board.

A move as predicatable as it is stupid.

The bowling club mentality that has held the club back for decades.

Just when we thought we could lord it over the Huns for a while Peter "just enough and not a penny more, though frequently less" Lawwell comes back. I'm all for running a financially tight ship but PL has always seemed to run Celtic doing the bare minimum. It's worked out most of the time thanks to the Huns being run as an ego-trip basket case a lot of the time, but too often it's come up short. Hopefully he'll be more hands off this time but it's hard to teach an old dog a new trick.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼