The Official Celtic Thread

Ross County wasn't the obstacle Celtic overcame today.

The players are even saying it now. No wonder the club have had to put in an official query about the application of VAR in some of our games. There's nothing wrong with what's being screened - the pictures don't lie - it's the inconsistent interpretation of the pictures that's the issue.

1668421408505.png

The Man City game had a handball at the edge of the box. It looked in to me. VAR couldn't tell, so no penalty was awarded.

That one, which came off O'Riley's hip first, looked outside the box to me. Yet Scottish VAR could work out that it was in the box and was a handball.

Celtic were denied an absolute stonewaller as well with Ralston getting shoved in the back with two hands. He made the most of it... as he should, but that doesn't change the fact it was a foul. Compared to the frees given any time a Celtic player went near the opposition, it was borderline assault.

I'm loathe to compare it to the treatment the vermin get but they got a free kick when one of their hammer throwers volleyed a St Mirren player in the box. VAR wasn't asked a fuckin thing. Of course they got their VAR penalty - I thought it was a foul. I seem to be in the minority though as most, including the ref, thought it was a dive. In any case, there was a blatant foul in the move building up to it.... not given.

It's fuckin ridiculous now. Unconscious bias has now moved to very conscious bias. The excuse of it just being incompetence rather than cheating is now less credible. Given the proven history of cheating in Scotland, you'd need to be pretty stupid to think everything was on the level.

Just get impartial officials in and VAR won't be a problem.

The Man City game had a handball at the edge of the box. It looked in to me. VAR couldn't tell, so no penalty was awarded.

That one, which came off O'Riley's hip first, looked outside the box to me. Yet Scottish VAR could work out that it was in the box and was a handball.

Celtic were denied an absolute stonewaller as well with Ralston getting shoved in the back with two hands. He made the most of it... as he should, but that doesn't change the fact it was a foul. Compared to the frees given any time a Celtic player went near the opposition, it was borderline assault.

I'm loathe to compare it to the treatment the vermin get but they got a free kick when one of their hammer throwers volleyed a St Mirren player in the box. VAR wasn't asked a fuckin thing. Of course they got their VAR penalty - I thought it was a foul. I seem to be in the minority though as most, including the ref, thought it was a dive. In any case, there was a blatant foul in the move building up to it.... not given.

It's fuckin ridiculous now. Unconscious bias has now moved to very conscious bias. The excuse of it just being incompetence rather than cheating is now less credible. Given the proven history of cheating in Scotland, you'd need to be pretty stupid to think everything was on the level.

Just get impartial officials in and VAR won't be a problem.

Like you I thought Ralston made a bit of a meal of the undoubted push in the back that he received but every pundit on sportscene and clyde SSB said that awarding that as a penalty against O'Riley was a complete nonsense.

And the fact that in the second half a Ross County player had his arm stretched out from his body and the arm deflected the flight of the ball well within his own penalty box wasn't given in the same game shows there's an astounding lack of consistency in the awarding of big decisions in the SPL.

According to BBC Scotland Celtic had 75% possession in the match but committed almost three times as many fouls with the free kick count coming in at 14-5. That's an unusual stat.

The penalty count shown above is pretty stark with the huns getting a net 3 times as many awarded. The fact that they've not had one awarded against them domestically this season is strange too.

I wasn't sure the second one even hit the RC players hand.... I don't think it did btw... but it wasn't checked and that's part of the problem.
Think it hit his arm and then his chest. But as you say, not even checked by VAR, and I'm still not sure that O'Riley was even inside the box when the ball hit him on the arm.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tony Roberts

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼