2022 Premier Senior Hurling

I think Pat Ryan has a tough job! Damien Cahalane has had a long career and his good days outnumber his bad ones. I remember Pat McDonnell getting a runaround from Babs Keating, and Martin Doherty getting destroyed by Joe McKenna and Tony Doran. Barrs greats Tony Maher and Peter Doolan were destroyed by Ray Cummins in club hurling. They are still regarded as fine players. Picking apart a guy like Cahalane over a 10 year Cork career is unfair and unwarranted!

Cork have had 3 top class full-backs in five decades Pat McDonnell, Martin O'Doherty and Diarmuid O'Sullivan, although they all had their off days DC doesn't compare to any of them so mentioning them in the same light is also unfair and unwarranted.

Martin O'Doherty got the better of Tony Doran in the 1977 All-Ireland final but it was a fascinating contest. When did Doran and McKenna destroy O'Doherty as you state in your above post? Christy Heffernan roasted O'Doherty in the 1982 AI Final after O'Doherty flew back from Chicago without the adequate preparation to play in such a game. Joe McKenna stated Martin O'Doherty was a supreme hurler.

Heard Pat Ryan’s pulling his hair out. No matter what he does, he’ll be castigated. I remember the 1990 hurling final when Jim Cashman was destroyed by Joe Cooney in the first half. Canon O’ Brien persevered and Cashman had a great second half. We need management like that! The canon also brought in Mark Foley and scored 2-7 against Tipp in Munster final…

Richie Browne also had a good game on Joe Cooney in the 1986 AI final but the time came for him to move on and Denis Walsh was full-back.in 1990. Browne was brought back in '91 and it was a grave error as he was past it and roasted in Thurles in the Munster final replay. Midleton's Denis Mulcahy came out of retirement in 1992 and when he retired fully after losing the AI final to Kilkenny Cork struggled for a full-back until the Rock came into the senior team in 1998. Damien Cahalane has still plenty to offer the 'Barrs but Cork have to move on and Pat Ryan needs to make the call in view of the team's development.

Heard Pat Ryan’s pulling his hair out. No matter what he does, he’ll be castigated. I remember the 1990 hurling final when Jim Cashman was destroyed by Joe Cooney in the first half. Canon O’ Brien persevered and Cashman had a great second half. We need management like that! The canon also brought in Mark Foley and scored 2-7 against Tipp in Munster final…
I always quote that story when telling the kids about persevering even if you've had a bad start. I was one of thousands in Croker that day calling for JC to be taken off. What the hell do I know 😀.

Cork have had 3 top class full-backs in five decades Pat McDonnell, Martin O'Doherty and Diarmuid O'Sullivan, although they all had their off days DC doesn't compare to any of them so mentioning them in the same light is also unfair and unwarranted.

Martin O'Doherty got the better of Tony Doran in the 1977 All-Ireland final but it was a fascinating contest. When did Doran and McKenna destroy O'Doherty as you state in your above post? Christy Heffernan roasted O'Doherty in the 1982 AI Final after O'Doherty flew back from Chicago without the adequate preparation to play in such a game. Joe McKenna stated Martin O'Doherty was a supreme hurler.
Joe McKenna always got a few goals off Martin Doherty as did Tony Doran. The difference was that the Cork attack was extremely potent and did the same damage at other end. Martin Doherty was a fine hurler but Joe McKenna and Tony Doran regularly scored a few goals off him. Pat Hartigan was the best full back I have ever seen. I don’t see any “super” full backs in your list. I’m not impressed by DOL … maybe Eoin Downey might work, but not tested yet! Kingston always reverted back to Rob Downey or Cahalane!

Richie Browne also had a good game on Joe Cooney in the 1986 AI final but the time came for him to move on and Denis Walsh was full-back.in 1990. Browne was brought back in '91 and it was a grave error as he was past it and roasted in Thurles in the Munster final replay. Midleton's Denis Mulcahy came out of retirement in 1992 and when he retired fully after losing the AI final to Kilkenny Cork struggled for a full-back until the Rock came into the senior team in 1998. Damien Cahalane has still plenty to offer the 'Barrs but Cork have to move on and Pat Ryan needs to make the call in view of the team's development.
🤔
1990 Sean O Gorman?

Joe McKenna always got a few goals off Martin Doherty as did Tony Doran. The difference was that the Cork attack was extremely potent and did the same damage at other end. Martin Doherty was a fine hurler but Joe McKenna and Tony Doran regularly scored a few goals off him. Pat Hartigan was the best full back I have ever seen. I don’t see any “super” full backs in your list. I’m not impressed by DOL … maybe Eoin Downey might work, but not tested yet! Kingston always reverted back to Rob Downey or Cahalane!

You must be referring to league or challenge games. The facts are Tony Doran scored 1 goal only in the 1976 AI on Pat McDonnell. He was held scoreless in the 1977 AI final by Martin O'Doherty. Limerick scored 4 goals although.were defeated heavily by Cork in 1976 Munster final, at least 3 of the goals were scored by Eamonn Cregan who played full-forward and was marked by Glen Rovers Pat Barry. Cregan scored at least one from a penalty. Limerick failed to score a goal v Cork in the 1979 Munster final and they scored 2 in their victory over Cork in the 1980 final, one was scored by Ollie O'Connor when O'Doherty and Horgan collided, the other was as good as an o.g. by Timmy Murphy. AFAIR the only time Joe McKenna got goals v Cork was in the 1980 league final replay when O'Doherty wasn't playing and on Donal O'Grady in 1983 and 1984 Munster semi-finals.

You must be referring to league or challenge games. The facts are Tony Doran scored 1 goal only in the 1976 AI on Pat McDonnell. He was held scoreless in the 1977 AI final by Martin O'Doherty. Limerick scored 4 goals although.were defeated heavily by Cork in 1976 Munster final, at least 3 of the goals were scored by Eamonn Cregan who played full-forward and was marked by Glen Rovers Pat Barry. Cregan scored at least one from a penalty. Limerick failed to score a goal v Cork in the 1979 Munster final and they scored 2 in their victory over Cork in the 1980 final, one was scored by Ollie O'Connor when O'Doherty and Horgan collided, the other was as good as an o.g. by Timmy Murphy. AFAIR the only time Joe McKenna got goals v Cork was in the 1980 league final replay when O'Doherty wasn't playing and on Donal O'Grady in 1983 and 1984 Munster semi-finals.
My point is that good defenders are often given tough days by good attackers. Pa Dillon of Kilkenny was roasted by Ray Cummins in 1969 final.Eddie O’ Brien’s 3 goals against Ned Colfer, Lar Corbett’s 3 goals against Kilkenny!Damien Cahalane has given good service to Cork in various positions and others tried out at full back like DOL looked slow and vulnerable last year.Rob Downey was similarly exposed against Limerick. I suspect Eoin Downey will be the answer at full back and time will tell.Pat Ryan will probably use Cahalane as a defensive utility player next year, and I would praise Cahalane and remember him for his sterling service! I do not understand the vehemence leveled at him within and outside the county, throughout his career!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

DJ Fadd Jnr

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:30pm

More events ▼