Cyclists

The figure of 1200 I saw in a local newspaper, the Echo I think. 191 trees will have to be removed on the Mahon route alone, add in the proposals for Ballybrack woods in Douglas plus all the other routes and the number isn't far fetched at all. I'm not sure what they expect people who don't have off street parking are expected to do in areas where street parking is to be removed, I'm all for cycling but this plan is already looking very divisive indeed.
Disgraceful,

Are they going to make a lane for sulkys too I wonder?

And the removal of 1200 mature trees with extensive canopies to be replaced by saplings that'll take decades to grow to a similar size is not replacing like for like.

Jank, did you actually pick up any of the brochures regarding the new proposed bus corridors? If you did you'll clearly see within them under the title
Typical Cross Section a graphic showing
3.0m footpath
1.8m Cycle Lane
3.0m Bus Lane
3.0m General Traffic Lane
3.0m General Traffic Lane (obviously that's where bi-directional General Traffic is permitted)
3.0m Bus Lane
1.8m Cycle Lane
3.0m Footpath

So say for the Douglas Road which is proposed to be one way for general traffic from town to Douglas they're talking about an overall roadway width of 18.6m where currently in parts it's much less than half that width.

So people along the Douglas Road and elsewhere should have to sacrifice portions of their property and drive circuitous routes in their car in order that the likes of Chicken John can cycle more comfortably in from Carrigaline??? :oops:

The Bus Corridor plan in its current form is ill-conceived and will not happen as anyone who'd even a passing familiarity with Cork geography and streetscape would understand it's physically impossible in some areas.

Last edited:
This Dublin plan will never be imposed on Cork. It’s over. Time for the planners to take their fancy reports and head back to Dublin at €0.60c per Km expenses. No wonder they don’t want to open an office in Cork. They get €192 tax free expenses every time they come down! 😂

This Dublin plan will never be imposed on Cork. It’s over. Time for the planners to take their fancy reports and head back to Dublin at €0.60c per Km expenses. No wonder they don’t want to open an office in Cork. They get €192 tax free expenses every time they come down! 😂

But it seems they'll still go full steam ahead and buy new type of busses tailored to these impractical routes - which sounds very strange tbh.

Never going to happen in it's current form. There's no clique of eco-mentalists running things here in Cork. For evidence, just look at the Patrick's Street car ban, or the proposal to redo Wilton Road.

Great in theory, lots of money for consulting firms but nothing happens in reality. The next thing now will be a toll on the N40 resulting in gridlock once the Dunkettle Interchange is finished. And we'll be told, "but there's a toll on the M50 in Dublin,"

Never going to happen.....

The whole thing must've been dreamed up by planners who weren't familiar with conditions on the ground given they've come up with such a potential cluster-f**k!

They could've gotten Junior Cert students to come up with a more viable and realistic plan that would improve the streets for people and still have a working and realistic bus network that would get better buy in from the public on which they hope to rely.

Back after a near 2 month ban. That chicken fella must have reported me 😂a lot of cyclists on footpaths the last couple of days. The South Mall cycle lane must be for decoration.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼