Cyclists

Yeah, he seems a needlessly provocative person, and takes it upon himself to be the law, but these things are happening to him regularly and someone is going to end up hurting him badly. When they do they are fucked because a judge will not assess it as the SpeedYs etc. on here do. I see it so often myself, the difference being that I couldn't be arsed doing anything further about it.
100% this, his attitude aside he is nearly always correct in his videos when it comes to the law. The more I see his videos I'm starting to understand why he is so angry and confrontational, imagine cycling a route from home to work a couple of times a day for years now and all sort of vehicles doing punishment passes because the road is suitable for the all traffic that is travelling it.

100% this, his attitude aside he is nearly always correct in his videos when it comes to the law. The more I see his videos I'm starting to understand why he is so angry and confrontational, imagine cycling a route from home to work a couple of times a day for years now and all sort of vehicles doing punishment passes because the road is suitable for the all traffic that is travelling it.
Yeah, it must piss him off in a serious way, but the outcome of all of this is not going to be good eventually.
It is not the right answer but he needs to look at a different route as the morons passing him wont be changing their behaviour any time soon

Anyone who thinks driving a car, van, bus, whether really close to a cyclist to 'teach them a lesson' needs to immediately relinquish their driving licence and stay away from the wheel of a car before they put people under theirs

Yeah, it must piss him off in a serious way, but the outcome of all of this is not going to be good eventually.
It is not the right answer but he needs to look at a different route as the morons passing him wont be changing their behaviour any time soon

Anyone who thinks driving a car, van, bus, whether really close to a cyclist to 'teach them a lesson' needs to immediately relinquish their driving licence and stay away from the wheel of a car before they put people under theirs
Agreed.

Absolutely.

They're as bonkers as the "I'll show him" type cyclists who go out of their way to put themselves in danger - kind of nutjobs who see a motorist turning left up ahead of them and speed up just so they can shout at yer woman; or who stick doggedly to the centre of their lane just in case a rabbit might emerge from the verge, while there's an articulated truck to the right of them with a trailer that mightn't be 100% in its own lane.

Can't they just stop being an utter c**t on the road and drive with some understanding of the other roadusers.

Yes it's a road. It's also a laneway though, it's a single lane with the width of a single lane. As such there's not enough width for a car to give safe passing distance to a cyclist. There's no way that the car would be able to give this guy 1.5m space even if he moved in to the left.
It is a Road, a laneway is a pathway for pedestrians.
Not its not a ' single lane ' that terminology is more appropriate with lanes on a dual carriageway or a motorway. Legally you are correct with reference to the 1.5m safe passing distance.
However I believe there is a way in which a car can indeed pass a cyclist safely on the section of road, which by the way I know very well.
If there are no vehicles parked in the parking bays on that road, a cyclist could safely cycle along in the parking pays, close to the kerb and a car can very easily pass that cyclist out, assuming of course that cyclist is not going at 40 kmph and feeling they own the road.
There's a reason there's at least two bike symbols painted on that stretch of road.
There is indeed, to let those driving cars etc to be aware that they may be present on that narrow road.
What does this even mean? I'm simply stating a fact? Cool? Impressive? What are you on about? I'm right, 50 is the max speed permitted there. There's no obligation on anyone to do 50 there, be they a car, tractor, bus, bike or whatever.

Only a certain type of individual comes out with with that one, it is possible to exceed 50 there by the way, whilst that may not be legal, it is possible.
I can't think of one. But then again I can't see why a motorist would beep a cyclist going 40 in a 50, and yet here we are.
I imagine the motorist saw the cyclist cycling along in the middle of the narrow road, perhaps the driver thought to themselves, what is this guy playing at ? Why is this cyclist in the middle of the road, am I going to be stuck behind this cyclist the whole way along my journey.
Again - if he did go over to the side there's no way there's enough room for safe passing space on that lane.

There is no way that particular cyclist would have gone over to the side, he has demonstrated his cycling behavior well on his own videos on Twitter. However a responsible cyclist would have cycled along that road on the left side, as they are supposed to and as they are to be fair expected to. That is of course speaking for cyclist who have consideration for other road users.
Had this cyclist been cycling on the left side, then the car driver could have perhaps seen that the cyclist was as such in on the left and was doing his best to allow the car room to pass, however this particular cyclist does not do things like that.
No it wasn't in general. What you specifically said was "He cycles along in the middle of that road at 40 kmh, the legal limit is 50. He is therefore holding up traffic."

You're clearly referring to "that road".
On any road, whereby a cyclist is cycling in the centre of the road and cycling at 40 kmh and if there is a 50kmh limit then that is 10 kmh less than what is legally allowed, therefore it is only logical to conclude that the cyclist is indeed holding up traffic.

Even on that stretch of road.

Yeah, he seems a needlessly provocative person, and takes it upon himself to be the law, but these things are happening to him regularly and someone is going to end up hurting him badly. When they do they are fucked because a judge will not assess it as the SpeedYs etc. on here do. I see it so often myself, the difference being that I couldn't be arsed doing anything further about it.

I was out for a run last week on a rural narrow road. I was running towards the traffic on the right hand side, and 2 elderly cyclists were just ahead of me on the left hand side. This gobshite towing a decent sized boat comes from behind me, sees an approaching car ahead, and instead of pulling in and waiting he floors it, missed me by about a foot, and then pulls back in across the cyclist just after his jeep had cleared them rather than the trailer. I'd say he misses the front cyclist by one or two inches after they jammed on their brakes.. and all to end up maybe 20 seconds ahead of where he would be if he had waited, but fucking cyclists and fucking runners and all that

Thats the kind of shit that gets those people home and never taking the bikes out again
You should have called the coastguard

Both travelling at speeds of 40Kph or more???? What anecdotal evidence is there of that?
If one even assumes they both have the same reaction times (see previous for why I think a cyclist might be even slightly more reluctant to slam on their brakes than a car driver at that speed), four good tyres with modern braking systems are more likely to stop without incident imho.
But I'm very willing to read/see even the anecdotal evidence you have to the contrary. Thanks
According to the RAC it takes 23 metres for a car to stop doing 30 mph (48kph) and 12 metres doing 20 mph (32kph), not sure it would be that length on a bike.

While the brakes on a car are undoubtedly better you must take into account the weight of the car, you are the engineer and doesn't momentum equal mass by velocity?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Love Buzz

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼