The Action Plan for Housing.

Yes, The State already via a Compulsory Purchase Order purchase's derelict buildings that are a hazard where the owners do not maintain them etc.

Four derelict buildings on North Main Street are to be acquired by Cork City Council.
View attachment 14027

Try leaving a building empty and go to ruin in the Netherlands and you will not have it very long as they see they see the greater good for society rather than someone slowly assembling a site, let it go to ruin and then demolish the buildings anyway so they can make a great big profit while the city has to look at buildings falling down for years and then pick up the tab anyway and people crying out for homes.
The properties in North Main Street are part of a distressed loan portfolio.

It’s difficult to know who the owners are/were.

The properties in North Main Street are part of a distressed loan portfolio.

It’s difficult to know who the owners are/were.
We know who the owners are as they also let properties on Barrack St. go to ruin.

Irish Examiner:
The city council formally triggered the legal process last summer to acquire numbers 62 to 65 North Main Street, at the same time as it moved to acquire 118 and 119 Barrack Street, under Section 14 of the Derelict Sites Act 1990.

The four buildings at North Main Street were owned by David O’Connor and Bryan O’Connor when they were placed on the derelict sites register in December 2015 but they are now listed as being in the hands of a receiver.

The two buildings on Barrack Street were owned by David O’Connor when they were also placed on the register around the same time.

Once enforcement/legal action is taken it is amazing how quick the owners get in touch.

I was merely pointing out that whilst one may be listed as “the owner,” in reality it could be a bank, or as in the case you mentioned, a receiver. As highlighted by the article you quoted, which mentioned previous owners. In the context of CPO’s, of course that is a last resort. But I would definitely not be in favour of the government confiscating one’s property in the interest of “the common good.” Particularly when ideologically driven zealots such as Eoin O’Broin could soon be deciding what “the common good” is.

I was merely pointing out that whilst one may be listed as “the owner,” in reality it could be a bank, or as in the case you mentioned, a receiver. As highlighted by the article you quoted, which mentioned previous owners. In the context of CPO’s, of course that is a last resort. But I would definitely not be in favour of the government confiscating one’s property in the interest of “the common good.” Particularly when ideologically driven zealots such as Eoin O’Broin could soon be deciding what “the common good” is.
It does it all the time for infrastructure like roads etc.

The rights of the property owner are fully protected anyway but the derelict site provisions and vacant sites clampdown as there are 160,000+ empty dwellings/buildings in our town and cities crumbling into the streets in some cases while Councils give approvals for car dependent housing schemes (Cash for landowners and developers) on the outskirts of the cities where we all have to pay for the provision of roads, water, power and schools etc while actual buildings rot.

Constitutionally the citizens decide what the common good is and not some theoretical zealot like Moan O'Broin

It does it all the time for infrastructure like roads etc.

The rights of the property owner are fully protected anyway but the derelict site provisions and vacant sites clampdown as there are 160,000+ empty dwellings/buildings in our town and cities crumbling into the streets in some cases while Councils give approvals for car dependent housing schemes (Cash for landowners and developers) on the outskirts of the cities where we all have to pay for the provision of roads, water, power and schools etc while actual buildings rot.

Constitutionally the citizens decide what the common good is and not some theoretical zealot like Moan O'Broin

I would agree with the need to bring residents back into the city centre with initiatives like "living over the shop," etc.. but in reality the noise and hassle in the city centre at night time would make that impossible. I've seen guys setting up amps and drum kits outside the GPO and elsewehere in the city centre at closing time.

Imagine living over the shop in Grand Parade. Zombie central during the day and Sodom and Gomorrah once darkness falls, not to mention the arrival of Seagulls once deliveries start to the English Market at 5:00 AM.

The whole concept of "the nighttime economy," as promoted by various sectoral lobby groups would not encourage anyone to set up home in the city centre at the moment.

No thanks.

I would agree with the need to bring residents back into the city centre with initiatives like "living over the shop," etc.. but in reality the noise and hassle in the city centre at night time would make that impossible. I've seen guys setting up amps and drum kits outside the GPO and elsewehere in the city centre at closing time.

Imagine living over the shop in Grand Parade. Zombie central during the day and Sodom and Gomorrah once darkness falls, not to mention the arrival of Seagulls once deliveries start to the English Market at 5:00 AM.

The whole concept of "the nighttime economy," as promoted by various sectoral lobby groups would not encourage anyone to set up home in the city centre at the moment.

No thanks.
I would not see many families living in the city centre but probably single people/tourist accommodation and students etc.

Ironically the upper floors of most of the city centre shops were originally living quarters for the business owner's family.

"The challenge has been brought by Co Louth-based Environmentalist John Conway who claims that the board’s decision to approve what is deemed a Strategic Housing Development (SHD) is flawed and should be set aside."

Oh for fuck sake, there should be a law here to prevent anyone not living at least in the the same County from objecting

That guy must have deep pockets and not much to be bothering him

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Libertines
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

22nd Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Light and Shade

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼