what book you reading at the moment? (incl poll)

Do you like to read books

• Total voters
Just bought the new Emilie Pine book as a post study present to myself.
It was excellent. She is a really good writer imo, like a less annoying Sally Rooney.

Just finished "Again, Rachel?" by Marian Keyes. It was grand, but not great. Easy reading. I disliked the ending.

It was excellent. She is a really good writer imo, like a less annoying Sally Rooney.

Just finished "Again, Rachel?" by Marian Keyes. It was grand, but not great. Easy reading. I disliked the ending.
Marian Keyes is one of the worst writers ever. I borrowed some of her books before. They are absolutely shockingly written.
Easy reading? More like, someone got brain damaged and can't read proper books. Not you obviously. The only thing I can think of is you are so sick of academic study this felt like a break. Have you ever tried Kathy Reichs who is a pathologist? That's holiday reading for me but it's clever and engaging. Slightly formulaic? Yes, but done well.

I'm reading JG Farrell's Troubles which I had never come across. Daughter picked it up for Summer reading. Very enjoyable so far. The classic Brit attitudes to the uneducated Irish are there on every page. Some fine characters and all done with a witty undertone.

Going to tackle another poetry book me mate gifted me. He needs a review on it. He writes with word play and in form quite often. He's an MA in Creative Writing so he's pretty good. Anyone interested PM and I can share his Amazon links

Coming to the end of a holiday, read
The Puppet Show by MW Craven- twas alright, murder mystery colouring by numbers stuff
The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne - very good if a little drawn out, really enjoyed the humour in the Irish attitudes and dialogue
Fast Edddie - came up as a recommendation, absolute shite, like something written by a 5 year old, and
The Beekeeper of Aleppo - Fantasic book, beautifully written but grim stuff for a holiday read

I need one last book, something realitively light hearted and humourous would be good.. any ideas?

I Am Partridge would be the ideal but unfortunately I read that and almost kicked it laughing :)

Coming to the end of a holiday, read
The Puppet Show by MW Craven- twas alright, murder mystery colouring by numbers stuff
The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne - very good if a little drawn out, really enjoyed the humour in the Irish attitudes and dialogue
Fast Edddie - came up as a recommendation, absolute shite, like something written by a 5 year old, and
The Beekeeper of Aleppo - Fantasic book, beautifully written but grim stuff for a holiday read

I need one last book, something realitively light hearted and humourous would be good.. any ideas?

I Am Partridge would be the ideal but unfortunately I read that and almost kicked it laughing :)
You might like this.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

23rd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼