Interesting article about concussion in rugby

I think even before this there was plenty of other issues with scrums spinal injuries etc that put parents off sending kids. Plenty of parents mine included put me off Rugby as the chance of getting knocked about were higher than other sports but just mother’s here say.I did do boxing /kick boxing but was in my teens and no longer listened to my mother at that stage😂

No doubt these reports and the Welsh lad will be a big put off for some.
Yeah, scrums aren't even close to as dangerous as they used to be. I've posted it before, but it's worth noting how much the scrum changed.

The hit was insane by 2005, the touch made things better, reducing the distance between teams, with the major change coming in 2014 with the pre-bind, it's hard to stress how much safer that made the scrum. no more sitting in the corner of the pub post match with bleeding shoulders and a neck in spasm.

But CTE is scary when you find out about the theory on how it works, essentially the body attacks the brain, and there is no way of diagnosing it until you have it (or you die and they can cut up your brain...). Spine injuries can be diagnosed and treated, they're obvious. Brain injuries are not.

We won't know anything for certain about how bad it truly is in rugby for probably over 25 years unless that diagnosis approach works. The earliest professional players are really only in their mid 50s now, way too early to get a proper long term gauge on the impact.

Fundamentally, it's very different to spinal injuries.

Yeah, scrums aren't even close to as dangerous as they used to be. I've posted it before, but it's worth noting how much the scrum changed.

The hit was insane by 2005, the touch made things better, reducing the distance between teams, with the major change coming in 2014 with the pre-bind, it's hard to stress how much safer that made the scrum. no more sitting in the corner of the pub post match with bleeding shoulders and a neck in spasm.

But CTE is scary when you find out about the theory on how it works, essentially the body attacks the brain, and there is no way of diagnosing it until you have it (or you die and they can cut up your brain...). Spine injuries can be diagnosed and treated, they're obvious. Brain injuries are not.

We won't know anything for certain about how bad it truly is in rugby for probably over 25 years unless that diagnosis approach works. The earliest professional players are really only in their mid 50s now, way too early to get a proper long term gauge on the impact.

Fundamentally, it's very different to spinal injuries.
When you see some of the hits at the top level they are bone crunching, question is how do you make tackling less dangerous without fundamentally changing the game.

When you see some of the hits at the top level they are bone crunching, question is how do you make tackling less dangerous without fundamentally changing the game.
That is the problem.

Not a huge rugby fan but there was a game about 10 to 12 years ago between Ireland and Wales that was a fucking war. The hits were savage, no quarter asked or given etc etc

Great to watch, but the players must feel some effects from it. And that's just one game.

The quickest and easiest way is to immediately lower the tackle from the waist down, world rugby won’t do it as at the end of the day a lot of new rugby fans enjoy the bumpers type collisions where all the damage is being done.
Front up tackles are literally killing players in the long term, even collisions to the chest are doing damage
👍
My views entirely!

Reducing subs might be a start as well, back to 5. The concept of “finishers” means there’s absolutely no let up. Especially when teams then elect to give a bigger split to the forwards

This is a devastating read. The SRU come out of this looking so bad there’s a case for criminal negligence. Cattigan’s family have gone in with the wider case but they have more than enough to go alone. The SRU are some shower of cunts. Link below as the original is behind a Times paywall. http://archive.today/x0gf0

EDIT - the family have confirmed they’re pursuing a case against the SRU.

Last edited:
This is a devastating read. The SRU come out of this looking so bad there’s a case for criminal negligence. Cattigan’s family have gone in with the wider case but they have more than enough to go alone. The SRU are some shower of cunts. Link below as the original is behind a Times paywall. http://archive.today/x0gf0
I Read that! shocking, callous even criminal disregard for that players health!

That's horrendous. So many blatant failures of duty of care and clearly, the SRU just didn't give a shit.

EDIT - the family have confirmed they’re pursuing a case against the SRU.
Jesus, that's a heart-breaking read, so sad, the poor girl.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼