Interesting article about concussion in rugby

Is there any precautions that can be taken against these head injuries lads?

I only watch Ireland and maybe the end stages of the world Cup. Thing is when, when I was growing up, they were big men. Now, every fucking last one of them is massive.

I can't see how the game itself such as it is can protect the head from these clashes when these giants collide. I'd also imagine a lot of these guys will have issues with mobility much earlier than most of us will.
The ruck needs reform. It's very old fashioned, but I think that if you're not the tackler or the tackled player, you must stay on your feet, if you hit the deck, penalty.

This is what used to happen if you fell on the wrong side on a ruck. Bringing this back definitely isn't a solution:

Between that and some reform of the entry speed is required, not 100% clear what that is. At least you're not able to sprint in at full speed with no arms from 15 metres out to smack the crap out of an exposed static player. That's what ended my playing career.

The quickest and easiest way is to immediately lower the tackle from the waist down, world rugby won’t do it as at the end of the day a lot of new rugby fans enjoy the bumpers type collisions where all the damage is being done.
Front up tackles are literally killing players in the long term, even collisions to the chest are doing damage
My issue with that is the safest tackle, especially at lower levels, is into a nice squidgy belly.

Tackling knees is high risk stuff, but for the tackler, not the tackled player.

My issue with that is the safest tackle, especially at lower levels, is into a nice squidgy belly.

Tackling knees is high risk stuff, but for the tackler, not the tackled player.
Agree to an extent at the end of the day when you have bones like knees, hips and elbows involved in tackling there is a always a risk, just think the front up ‘dominant’ type tackling being coached is the most dangerous aspect of the game for head injuries but the game needs to sort things immediately, farcical scenes on the New Zealand tour recently don’t help

With Rugby you know what you get plenty of belts and there Are consequences no doubt. A bit like the argument over boxing.If you don’t like the Rough stuff go tell little Johnny to take up Hop Skotch.

With Rugby you know what you get plenty of belts and there Are consequences no doubt. A bit like the argument over boxing.If you don’t like the Rough stuff go tell little Johnny to take up Hop Skotch.
That's the thing though, they didn't know. Or at least they didn't know how severe the consequences might be.

Same as in American Football. CTE, early dementia and the like is no bloody joke. This isn't a hip replacement, it's far far more serious than that.

Now they do know, it's bound to put some parents off getting their kids into Rugby, is it not? So, they must take action to at least reduce the risks associated with the sport.

If the players didn't know, did they expect the authorities to know?
Aren't most rogger 'caretakers of the game' former rogger players?

Just get the players to sign a waiver that states that accrued roggering may result in having a head like a washing machine in the future.

Not that I care anyway. Shit game.

That's the thing though, they didn't know. Or at least they didn't know how severe the consequences might be.

Same as in American Football. CTE, early dementia and the like is no bloody joke. This isn't a hip replacement, it's far far more serious than that.

Now they do know, it's bound to put some parents off getting their kids into Rugby, is it not? So, they must take action to at least reduce the risks associated with the sport.
I think even before this there was plenty of other issues with scrums spinal injuries etc that put parents off sending kids. Plenty of parents mine included put me off Rugby as the chance of getting knocked about were higher than other sports but just mother’s here say.I did do boxing /kick boxing but was in my teens and no longer listened to my mother at that stage😂

No doubt these reports and the Welsh lad will be a big put off for some.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

12th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

All You Need Is Death (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 4:15pm

More events ▼