The Hurling Thread

Referees feared Cody and feared been singled out by pundits for trying to turn the game "soft"

Eddie Keher, Nicky Brennan and Cody himself regularly used interviews to bemoan the "state" of officiating. Bizarrely you had Micheal Duignean then on the Sunday game lapping up this Kilkenny manliness stuff. Cyril Farrell the same. Fair play to Cody because he played the media and the GAA like a fiddle in bending them to his agenda. Kerry the only other county who can do it to the same extent.

Used drive me mad watching Tomas Mulcahy sitting there like a nodding donkey going along with the whole thing. I'd love for Cork to do the same and for our pundits to be unashamedly biased in our favour. Look at Shane Dowling or Jackie Tyrell for example. In their eyes their counties can do no wrong. Donal Og calls out some things but not consistently enough. He is by far the most entertaining pundit on the Sunday game but you certainly couldn't accuse him of overly Cork bias given that he's just as likely to go on a rant about Cork as he is about Gearoid Hegarty and his tackling technique.
I think firstly to get to the point whereby you can influence the media you have to be winning, because nobody gives a toss about a team being overly zealous or whatever if they aren't winning, therefore for these teams and their pundits there is nothing to defend. No one cares how they play.

Secondly, if a team does enjoy a period of domination their style of lay will automatically be scrutinised more, if we go on to achieve this then I would imagine whatever Cork pundits are there would also defend our style to whatever criticisms may arise. But for that to happen we have to become successful first.

I think firstly to get to the point whereby you can influence the media you have to be winning, because nobody gives a toss about a team being overly zealous or whatever if they aren't winning, therefore for these teams and their pundits there is nothing to defend. No one cares how they play.

Secondly, if a team does enjoy a period of domination their style of lay will automatically be scrutinised more, if we go on to achieve this then I would imagine whatever Cork pundits are there would also defend our style to whatever criticisms may arise. But for that to happen we have to become successful first.
A fair point.

However neither Kilkenny nor Kerry have been overly successful in recent times and yet the media in general is saturated with guys from these counties.

I'm not having giving out about it, I'm pointing it out as something I feel Cork could and should be learning from. For example, we had the Rock and Kieran Kingston bemoaning the pressure of the Cork gig. I didn't hear a peep out of them or any Cork pundit about a few controversial umpiring decisions that went against us V Clare in the Munster championship. (Yes I know Clare were head and shoulders over us that day anyway) Question everything. Kilkenny do, Kerry do. It's why they get a lot of the marginal calls down the years.

A fair point.

However neither Kilkenny nor Kerry have been overly successful in recent times and yet the media in general is saturated with guys from these counties.

I'm not having giving out about it, I'm pointing it out as something I feel Cork could and should be learning from. For example, we had the Rock and Kieran Kingston bemoaning the pressure of the Cork gig. I didn't hear a peep out of them or any Cork pundit about a few controversial umpiring decisions that went against us V Clare in the Munster championship. (Yes I know Clare were head and shoulders over us that day anyway) Question everything. Kilkenny do, Kerry do. It's why they get a lot of the marginal calls down the years.
Various Tyrone pundits have questioned why Nicholas Murphy didn’t lie down and get Tadhg Kennelly sent off, after the elbow he got at the beginning of 2009 final. Nicholas got up straight away and played on, but Tadhg played a proverbial blunder that day, and was instrumental in the Kerry win. Mickey Harte,and Brian Cody knew how to rattle teams and stop them playing!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

20th Apr 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Soho Nights

The Pavilion, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼