The Hurling Thread

🤔
In 2006 The Cats as typical felines, were very happy to wait in the long grass.
Cody's teams used to "cross the line" between hard and dirty/dangerous far too often due to weak referees.
However, Cody seems to come across as quite gentlemanly in any interviews that I've seen.
Referees feared Cody and feared been singled out by pundits for trying to turn the game "soft"

Eddie Keher, Nicky Brennan and Cody himself regularly used interviews to bemoan the "state" of officiating. Bizarrely you had Micheal Duignean then on the Sunday game lapping up this Kilkenny manliness stuff. Cyril Farrell the same. Fair play to Cody because he played the media and the GAA like a fiddle in bending them to his agenda. Kerry the only other county who can do it to the same extent.

Used drive me mad watching Tomas Mulcahy sitting there like a nodding donkey going along with the whole thing. I'd love for Cork to do the same and for our pundits to be unashamedly biased in our favour. Look at Shane Dowling or Jackie Tyrell for example. In their eyes their counties can do no wrong. Donal Og calls out some things but not consistently enough. He is by far the most entertaining pundit on the Sunday game but you certainly couldn't accuse him of overly Cork bias given that he's just as likely to go on a rant about Cork as he is about Gearoid Hegarty and his tackling technique.

Again not taking anything away from his unparalleled success but Cork fellas saying they hoped he 'went out on top'?
Give me a break.

The running game as played by O'Grady/Allen did just fine as we dismantled them in 04.

Cody talked up his 'manly game' shite in 06 and a hopelessly inept ref in Kelly in let them foul with impunity.

The fawning over Kilkenny and Cody from supposed Cork fans is nauseating to behold.

Glad he's gone, took hurling into the gutter.
Only one manager had a 100% record against Cody in the championship, and didnt concede a goal in those 2 games, JBM

JBM was an effective manager in the fact, because he was JBM, he commanded complete loyalty from his players. By all accounts, he was ruthless, and not slow to jettison players he considered past their prime from the squad. Players like JBM are once in a lifetime!

🤔
In 2006 The Cats as typical felines, were very happy to wait in the long grass.
Cody's teams used to "cross the line" between hard and dirty/dangerous far too often due to weak referees.
However, Cody seems to come across as quite gentlemanly in any interviews that I've seen.
Cody was a genius. He even instructed his players to smack the refs with a hurley so that they"d know their place at all times. Top, top manly stuff.

I think the inability to see excellence and acknowledge it in a sporting enemy is sour grapes.

I don't particularly like Cody as a character, and it's certainly focking painful that his reign overlapped with the most barren time in Cork hurling but I can't ignore what I saw and the results he achieved.

Not sour grapes at all.

I fully acknowledge his deserved spot at the top of theheap.

Just cos he's packed it in doesn’t mean we have to beatify him. He did plenty of damage to how the game is played.

The abiding memory of his final year is him acting the prick with Shefflin at the end of two games , a few months after Henry had buried his brother. A right langer.

Cody was a genius. He even instructed his players to smack the refs with a hurley so that they"d know their place at all times. Top, top manly stuff.
That was Tommy Walsh against Tipp. Tommy, I would think epitomized Cody’s style! Very talented, got whacked by Benny Dunne after he shoved helmet over Bennys eyes… but got up straight away. Eddie Keher had reputation of being well versed in the dark arts, but took a nasty accidental blow from Tony Maher in 1969 blow… Eddie never complained.. just played on! Pat Delaney took nasty hit from Tom O’ Donoghue in same game… Kilkenny play the game as it should be played!

That was Tommy Walsh against Tipp. Tommy, I would think epitomized Cody’s style! Very talented, got whacked by Benny Dunne after he shoved helmet over Bennys eyes… but got up straight away. Eddie Keher had reputation of being well versed in the dark arts, but took a nasty accidental blow from Tony Maher in 1969 blow… Eddie never complained.. just played on! Pat Delaney took nasty hit from Tom O’ Donoghue in same game… Kilkenny play the game as it should be played!
So which part of Kilkenny are you from?

Not sour grapes at all.

I fully acknowledge his deserved spot at the top of theheap.

Just cos he's packed it in doesn’t mean we have to beatify him. He did plenty of damage to how the game is played.

The abiding memory of his final year is him acting the prick with Shefflin at the end of two games , a few months after Henry had buried his brother. A right langer.
Similar to football! Mickey Harte and Jim Mcguinness changed football forever.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Rebel Frequencies Presents Songsmiths

The White Horse, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼