Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Wouldn't be keen on Dalton for goals. If he's good enough for out field then that's where he belongs. I'd still have serious doubts over him having the speed and pace for Championship Hurling.

But we do need some healthy competition in goal. The two brothers can't be pushing each other too hard.
I think we're all agreed that our keeper conceded a soft goal against Galway - which was the difference in the end. And I don't mean the one he dropped into the net. Certainly need to have real competition for places because guys can have a loss of form.

Agreed on doubting Dalton has IC speed but the fact that he could reasonably cover two positions from the bench would be an option.

Also think whether Hoggie is still in the squad would have an impact on whether or not Dalton would get a place.

A solid free taker is an absolute must at the top level imho.

I think we're all agreed that our keeper conceded a soft goal against Galway - which was the difference in the end. And I don't mean the one he dropped into the net. Certainly need to have real competition for places because guys can have a loss of form.

Agreed on doubting Dalton has IC speed but the fact that he could reasonably cover two positions from the bench would be an option.

Also think whether Hoggie is still in the squad would have an impact on whether or not Dalton would get a place.

Think Connolly has to be given a push for frees. Does fine for Blackrock and doesn't strike me as a lad who lets things get to his head if he missed one.

Pat Ryan would be a big fan of Darragh Flynn, he will be given every chance next year to get on to the team. If he can stay fit and nail down a place on the team, he would be a serious option for free taking going forward.

interesting interview with Diarmuid O' Sullivan here - obviously things are very raw with the outgoing management team. Nash getting a bashing indirectly without mentioning his name https://www.the42.ie/cork-hurling-diarmuid-osullivan-2-5809192-Jul2022/
As was said elsewhere, Sully has a short memory. He was giving out during Meyler's tenure when he was writing articles for Paddy Power.

“Some of them guys if we look through it, there’s history between certain members of previous management, old management, would be involved in our backroom teams.”

Some gowl he is.

It's okay to consider Deccie Dalton as a goalkeeper option but he hasn't played there for 5 years and the real question that has to asked is does he want to play there himself. When Hoggy eventually goes Dalton should be the freetaker but Alan Connolly and Darragh Flynn are other serious options for the future.

I would not rule out Patrick Collins and believe him to be a good 'keeper, I believe him to be a victim of various managements obsessed with youth but forgetting that these guys hadn't won at underage and required some coaching. It's different going with young players who are good enough but have AI U-20 medals. It was the opposite with Martin Coleman taking over from Donal Og as he was too old starting off in the league final of 2012 and had been hanging around too long to get his chance. Cathal Hickey, Kieran Walsh and Gavin Connolly are all very good 'keepers and may give a 1-2 year commitment if approached by Pat Ryan and his selectors.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Soviet Milk (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼