Michael collins statue

I have no objection to some bunch of misguided individuals putting out a statue to Michael Collins as long as not a cent of public money is used to facilitate it. He was a figure in our history but not someone who we should glorify. He organised multiple shootings and his legacy has prompted incidents such as the Kingsmill massacre Jean McConvile receiving a bullet in the back of the head and Paul Quinn etc etc etc being beaten to death.

interest is building on plans to have a statue to collins erected in cork city,
A group of people are raising funds and when finished will hand the statue over to cork city council.
Where would be the best location and would it be vandalised by those who dont like collins? id suggest near the monument on grand parade,

Isn't there already a bust of the great man out in Fitzgerald's Park?
Maybe put one up in Collins Barracks. But he gave one of his big speeches to a huge crowd on Grand Parade? He spent his last night's sleep in The Imperial. He was officially pronounced dead up in Shanakeil. He pretended to be staying in a hotel in Winthrop Street, to out a guy that tried to betray him who was subsequently shot up in Tory Top Road. Much of the money he raised for the Dail Loan was up in Sunday's Well.
Decisions decisions

I have no objection to some bunch of misguided individuals putting out a statue to Michael Collins as long as not a cent of public money is used to facilitate it. He was a figure in our history but not someone who we should glorify. He organised multiple shootings and his legacy has prompted incidents such as the Kingsmill massacre Jean McConvile receiving a bullet in the back of the head and Paul Quinn etc etc etc being beaten to death.
I heard he shot J.R.

Isn't there already a bust of the great man out in Fitzgerald's Park?
Maybe put one up in Collins Barracks. But he gave one of his big speeches to a huge crowd on Grand Parade? He spent his last night's sleep in The Imperial. He was officially pronounced dead up in Shanakeil. He pretended to be staying in a hotel in Winthrop Street, to out a guy that tried to betray him who was subsequently shot up in Tory Top Road. Much of the money he raised for the Dail Loan was up in Sunday's Well.
Decisions decisions
Just an observation, would you differ from the majority in SF on your opinion and respect for collins?
some in SF i know despise him,

Just an observation, would you differ from the majority in SF on your opinion and respect for collins?
some in SF i know despise him,

You're speaking for the majority of SF now are you jimmy? You didn't happen to know Enda's guys at ATMs with a pint in both hands as well did you? :ROFLMAO:

As it happens I couldn't give a stuff what SF do or don't think about Collins. I happen to think that he was a hero. He wasn't perfect (none of us is) but he did much for this country's freedom imho, and he'll always be a hero to me for that. AND he was a Corkman :cool:

You're speaking for the majority of SF now are you jimmy? You didn't happen to know Enda's guys at ATMs with a pint in both hands as well did you? :ROFLMAO:

As it happens I couldn't give a stuff what SF do or don't think about Collins. I happen to think that he was a hero. He wasn't perfect (none of us is) but he did much for this country's freedom imho, and he'll always be a hero to me for that. AND he was a Corkman :cool:
Crikey you dont half get defensive, I asked a question as your opinion on Collins which i fully respect and agree on
differs from many i know in SF,

Crikey you dont half get defensive, I asked a question as your opinion on Collins which i fully respect and agree on
differs from many i know in SF,

Not defensive at all. Just you seem to have an awful lot of anecdotes about people you say you know in SF that run contrary to my first hand experience of myself and other actual people in SF. And you imagine that the few you claim to know are a majority. Or are you going to suggest that I'm not really in SF and through my being a member know quite a number of fellow members? 🤷‍♂️

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Monster (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼