Cork Hurlers - Part 2

You would think now would be an ideal time to change. Limerick wont be at the top forever and we should be positioning to be next in line as we do have a good mix of experience and young talent coming through. KK has had five years now over two terms and has one Munster title to show.

Meanwhile some nostalgia from the 1986 All Ireland dressing room

You would think now would be an ideal time to change. Limerick wont be at the top forever and we should be positioning to be next in line as we do have a good mix of experience and young talent coming through. KK has had five years now over two terms and has one Munster title to show.

Meanwhile some nostalgia from the 1986 All Ireland dressing room

Brilliant seeing the old faces including Frankie Sul. And Hennessy drinking a pint of milk. 😂

IMO this team has missed the boat and so has KK regarding winning the AI. I always felt they would reach the Holy Grail but not anymore and the Galway loss is the catalyst for me changing my mind.

This team played better hurling in last years AI final humiliation than they did v Galway 2 weeks ago. While they were humiliated in the AI final they played some good hurling in the 1st half and at a high tempo and Shane Kingston's goal was a cracker and a great move. What left Cork down was naievity and the loss of a natural defender in Ger Millerick but they were up against the best team in the land over 3 years and maybe more. The management at the time said Millerick was a loss but I don't think they ever really believed that enough when one consider's they didn't start him v a disappointing Galway team last Saturday week and he was aso a non-starter in other games when fit over both championships. Contrast the AI final to the Galway game and we see Cork were lacking in zip, with the forwards much too far from goal hitting too many wides and a 2 man full-forward line who were too similiar with O'Mahony in the corner and Connolly at full-forward when it should be the other way round.

I believe it's time to move on regarding this senior team and in truth KK should step down, however Noel Furlong should have been kept as minor manager for this year at least and Pat Mulcahy requires experience whether he is the man for the job or not in the future is debatable. Pat Ryan and Wayne Sherlock are the obvious two who seem to be most qualified and suitable but they don't seem to be interested because of their own health issues which is fair enough. Richie Kelleher, Fergal Ryan, Fergal Condon are other possible candidates although I believe Condon is the only one of them to be likely interested.

A good amount of the current players have too many bad habits under the KK reign, an established player and captain Mark Coleman who is supposed to be a leader is typical of these and the coaching emphasis and style of hurling has to change and become more direct in a proper sense rather than hoofing ball to a 2 man full-forward line of similar capabilities. Coleman was a better player when he started out in 2017 because he was more direct, the coaching seemed to have taken from his game rather than enhancing his game and he is not on his own in this regard.

I believe the county board should promote from within the county in appointing the new manager and not even consider Davy Fitz or Liam Sheedy for the managing or coaching roles. Despite what some posters on here believe, Denis Ring and follow on selectors from his underage dictatorship to the Pat Kenneally dictatorship stifled young talent & failed Cork hurling and should never be given another role with Cork teams. However, Cork do need a new set-up and an injection of young talent to play more direct hurling without fear of losing. If there isn't anybody new within the county to take the mantle then KK more than likely will be re-appointed.

IMO this team has missed the boat and so has KK regarding winning the AI. I always felt they would reach the Holy Grail but not anymore and the Galway loss is the catalyst for me changing my mind.

This team played better hurling in last years AI final humiliation than they did v Galway 2 weeks ago. While they were humiliated in the AI final they played some good hurling in the 1st half and at a high tempo and Shane Kingston's goal was a cracker and a great move. What left Cork down was naievity and the loss of a natural defender in Ger Millerick but they were up against the best team in the land over 3 years and maybe more. The management at the time said Millerick was a loss but I don't think they ever really believed that enough when one consider's they didn't start him v a disappointing Galway team last Saturday week and he was aso a non-starter in other games when fit over both championships. Contrast the AI final to the Galway game and we see Cork were lacking in zip, with the forwards much too far from goal hitting too many wides and a 2 man full-forward line who were too similiar with O'Mahony in the corner and Connolly at full-forward when it should be the other way round.

I believe it's time to move on regarding this senior team and in truth KK should step down, however Noel Furlong should have been kept as minor manager for this year at least and Pat Mulcahy requires experience whether he is the man for the job or not in the future is debatable. Pat Ryan and Wayne Sherlock are the obvious two who seem to be most qualified and suitable but they don't seem to be interested because of their own health issues which is fair enough. Richie Kelleher, Fergal Ryan, Fergal Condon are other possible candidates although I believe Condon is the only one of them to be likely interested.

A good amount of the current players have too many bad habits under the KK reign, an established player and captain Mark Coleman who is supposed to be a leader is typical of these and the coaching emphasis and style of hurling has to change and become more direct in a proper sense rather than hoofing ball to a 2 man full-forward line of similar capabilities. Coleman was a better player when he started out in 2017 because he was more direct, the coaching seemed to have taken from his game rather than enhancing his game and he is not on his own in this regard.

I believe the county board should promote from within the county in appointing the new manager and not even consider Davy Fitz or Liam Sheedy for the managing or coaching roles. Despite what some posters on here believe, Denis Ring and follow on selectors from his underage dictatorship to the Pat Kenneally dictatorship stifled young talent & failed Cork hurling and should never be given another role with Cork teams. However, Cork do need a new set-up and an injection of young talent to play more direct hurling without fear of losing. If there isn't anybody new within the county to take the mantle then KK more than likely will be re-appointed.

Agreed on some of your points there C1 but in fairness I think any praise for Ring's underage management was very much tongue in cheek.

I don’t really get why people would be against an outside manager, if it got us over the line it would be worth every bit of whatever they’d fork out. There are good options inside the county like Sherlock, Pat Ryan, Ben O Connor but if they can’t get these then I don’t we should get someone from Cork just for the sake of tradition.

I don’t really get why people would be against an outside manager, if it got us over the line it would be worth every bit of whatever they’d fork out. There are good options inside the county like Sherlock, Pat Ryan, Ben O Connor but if they can’t get these then I don’t we should get someone from Cork just for the sake of tradition.
I don't think people are against an outside manager but more resigned to the fact that the CCB won't pay the fees commanded by some of these hurling mercenaries.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Gay Agenda

The Roundy, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼