Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I think Kieran Kingston wants success for Cork hurling and believes he can deliver that. He certainly has developed a team that people can see has potential to win an All Ireland title.

Is he the right man, or has he the right management team around him is the question.

What he has contributed to Cork Hurling is undeniable imo.
Sure half us on here believe we could deliver an all ireland 😀 doesn’t mean we are the right person for the role though

Last edited:
Sure half is on here believe we could deliver an all ireland 😀 doesn’t mean we are the right person for the role though
Yea but we are embodying it into KK.

Taken in the round, it would seem as I posted a couple of months ago, that his niceness was actually an issue. If elements within the backroom team were insisting on what you call tippy tappy and that if it was going wrong it was because the players were not doing it right - then that is not on him other than he should say "my way or the high way". If players are not performing but elements with the backroom team are saying they have to be played or if players should be getting game time but are being prevented from it by certain elements - it is KK's job to say "my way or the high way".

I do not think he has the ruthlessness to do that - that is a testament to his personality - but does it give you the right kind of manager in this day and age? maybe not.

I do not think he will be there next year. However if he is, he must rule the roost. And if the dissenting voices are not prepared to toe the line, then they have to go.

We should have been in an AI semi again this year. Played well enough to be there v Galway.
Probably would have ended in the semi - but at least they would have had a rattle going in as massive underdogs with all the incentive in the world.

I go back to what I said a few pages ago - whoever it is, they must have an open docket - they must have the force of will to insist on their own backroom team, no outside interference and they must keep the out out as Daly said a few weeks ago.

Red i new him well about 30 years ago ,he is a very nice fellow but what other reason would he stay on Let some one else get a chance. 2no intercounty managers who got 2nd chances both retired this week.
Maybe he believes he’s the right man or maybe he can’t see the wood from the trees. Or maybe this is all irrelevant and he hasn’t been offered the post again

That’s harsh bluesball, the one thing I can say about Kieran Kingston is he doesn’t have a big ego
This is nonsense, if you think you are the right man to manage the cork senior hurling team for 5 years with very limited success and are contemplating a 6th year there must be an ego there ffs
To think you are the man to deliver an all Ireland after the last few years means there is an ego, and an ego isn’t a bad thing but this nonsense that he is saintly and without ego (we all have one) is simply tripe

This is nonsense, if you think you are the right man to manage the cork senior hurling team for 5 years with very limited success and are contemplating a 6th year there must be an ego there ffs
To think you are the man to deliver an all Ireland after the last few years means there is an ego, and an ego isn’t a bad thing but this nonsense that he is saintly and without ego (we all have one) is simply tripe
I didn't say he had no ego. I didn't say he was saintly. I said he might have been too nice to do the job as ruthlessly as is needed.

i said he doesn’t have a BIG ego which is completely different to saying, as you suggested I did, he doesn’t have an ego. I’m not trying to paint him as a saint, far from it, some of the major issues this year have to rest on his head as manager

Taken in the round, it would seem as I posted a couple of months ago, that his niceness was actually an issue. If elements within the backroom team were insisting on what you call tippy tappy and that if it was going wrong it was because the players were not doing it right - then that is not on him other than he should say "my way or the high way". If players are not performing but elements with the backroom team are saying they have to be played or if players should be getting game time but are being prevented from it by certain elements - it is KK's job to say "my way or the high way".

I do not think he has the ruthlessness to do that - that is a testament to his personality - but does it give you the right kind of manager in this day and age? maybe not.

I do not think he will be there next year. However if he is, he must rule the roost. And if the dissenting voices are not prepared to toe the line, then they have to go.

We should have been in an AI semi again this year. Played well enough to be there v Galway.
Probably would have ended in the semi - but at least they would have had a rattle going in as massive underdogs with all the incentive in the world.

I go back to what I said a few pages ago - whoever it is, they must have an open docket - they must have the force of will to insist on their own backroom team, no outside interference and they must keep the out out as Daly said a few weeks ago.
No one knows what the issues were this year but there were some huge ones and no matter the background, the manager is responsible.

To call him too nice is probably a little harsh but when he was first appointed manager I said he would be a facilitator and get the best coaches in place and trust them. That definitely wasn’t the case this year but again the buck has to stop with the manager

Take a look at his track record as Cork manager. He tried things that didn't work and he was convinced by his staff to stick rigidly to them until he finally, long after everybody else, saw it wasn't working. But now you think that he's going to have some kind of epiphany in his final year as a Cork manager, and where before he didn't impose his own will on the backroom staff, he will in the coming season? Sorry now but that is as likely to happen as it is that Cork will win the double next season - possible, but extreeeeeeeeemly unlikely given all the indications.

This notion that KK is too nice for the job is nonsense, he is as ruthless as the next man. His capability for the job is a different matter though.

Saying he is as ruthless as the next man is akin to saying his capability for the job is as good as the next man.

As human beings we all have differing qualities and drawbacks. Some are man motivators, others are not. Some are empathetic, others are not. Some are utterly ruthless, others are not.

You may be right that KK isn't too nice for the job, but there are many who think he's not ruthless enough. He wouldn't have displayed the ruthlessness displayed by others, like Cody, or even Lohan whipping off (oooer) a player after only 8 minutes. But I'm sure KK brings other attributes to the party.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kevin Quigley

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼