Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I think Kieran Kingston wants success for Cork hurling and believes he can deliver that. He certainly has developed a team that people can see has potential to win an All Ireland title.

Is he the right man, or has he the right management team around him is the question.

What he has contributed to Cork Hurling is undeniable imo.

If anything it's the opposite, he's probably too nice.

I think even his biggest critics would have to concede that KK is a nice guy. Probably too nice for the position of managing the Cork Senior hurling team where you have to have a ruthless streak. Something KK didn't have as a player and I don't think he has it as a manager.

I think the only way he'd stay on is if he genuinely believed it would be the best for Cork hurling, but he's too close to it. He genuinely believed that tippy-tappy was the best for this Cork hurling squad too, long after even the dogs in the street knew it wasn't.

Red i new him well about 30 years ago ,he is a very nice fellow but what other reason would he stay on Let some one else get a chance. 2no intercounty managers who got 2nd chances both retired this week.

It is a full time job and we don't pay. Eddie Brennan plenty of wedge from Cuala. Davy Fitz not doing it for nothing. Ben O Connor you would have to assume receiving remuneration. Therefore you are looking at Semi Retired... Meyler, JBM . I know Kingston took it back on because his work situation changed to allow him. We can talk names and suggestions.. Pat Ryan, Wayne Sherlock etc but the bottom line is that we are not in a buyers market because we dont pay... Its not even the money for some I assume its their own family situation. We all know that if you have very small kids its tough and then if you have 9-17 year olds you want to be on their sideline and possibly not another one trying to suss out the next Mark Foley from nowhere. I think the selection of a new manager will actually end up working in both directions.

Whatever about KK, serious questions need to be asked of the CCB. After the lofty heights of last year, it seemed like underage management structures went backwards once again this year.
Or maybe this years crop of players just weren’t as good as last years? Happens in all clubs and underage county teams. We did well to win 2 u20’s on the trot, time to give those lads more exposure at senior level.

Im sure we will have good underage teams coming through again in the next couple years.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼