Cork Footballers

What they need now is more top-level games to bring them on. No amount of s&c, or playing Clare in the leaguein February, can substitute for the type of s&c gained from playing years of top-level championship games in Croke Park in summer. We need to be getting back to Croke park again next year.
Success next year would be:
--Promotion to D1
--Give Kerry a proper game in Munster, or beat them
--All Ireland semi (or 2 games in croke park)

That would be success. But if i was coach, the goals i would be setting at the start of the year would be:
--Win D1
--Beat Kerry in Munster
--All Ireland final

What they need now is more top-level games to bring them on. No amount of s&c, or playing Clare in the leaguein February, can substitute for the type of s&c gained from playing years of top-level championship games in Croke Park in summer. We need to be getting back to Croke park again next year.
Success next year would be:
--Promotion to D1
--Give Kerry a proper game in Munster, or beat them
--All Ireland semi (or 2 games in croke park)

That would be success. But if i was coach, the goals i would be setting at the start of the year would be:
--Win D1
--Beat Kerry in Munster
--All Ireland final
A few years ago it looked like we were making big progress after getting to the Super 8’s and giving Dublin a much better rattle than we did last Saturday but we fell away again. It’s consistency we need and the aim should be to get a run going in next year’s championship which leads back to Croke Park.

The league needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. It’ll be tough to get promotion with a team like Dublin in it. I think a good league would be to avoid a relegation battle, target certain games to win but more so to grow a few more players into potential mainstays in the team. This isn’t a one year plan. I think you’re a tad optimistic above but it’s not beyond the team if everything went their way.

A good league is top 4
A bad league is fighting relegation
Relegation would be a disaster
We should next year be beating the likes of Louth,Limerick,Clare Kildare and Meath.
A lot depends on the draw ,surely we will have 4 home games next year.

Is ricken gone?
We have seen an improvement since he exited stage left.

A very simple out look on next season competitive in Division 2.
A good showing in Munster and get back to an all Ireland quarter final.

All this would be progress anything else is a bonus

Is ricken gone?
We have seen an improvement since he exited stage left.

A very simple out look on next season competitive in Division 2.
A good showing in Munster and get back to an all Ireland quarter final.

All this would be progress anything else is a bonus
That’s harsh on Ricken and coincidental. We couldn’t really get much worse and Cleary was the coach all along anyway so it’s not like losing Ricken resulted in improvement.

It’s a combination of getting a few players back, a fairly kind championship draw and some belief after a few wins against fairly poor opposition, all of whom we’d have beaten with Ricken anyway.

that’s what I was wondering Rebel - it’s not as though every player in the top teams has been through 3 years intense S&C since they came out of U20 before they are deemed ready for senior action. Cork have some naturally light players for sure but you can carry a few if the overall team is balanced right. The likes of Maguire, O Callaghan, Hurley, P Walsh are big, well built men in any company and the likes of Shanley, R.Maguire, Hartnett, Hayes are also well on the way. I would agree with you that when we refer to “conditioning” we are in fact covering physical strength, elite level stamina and running speed but also top level game exposure such that players are used to playing at the speed required and repeatedly making good decisions under pressure. I might be wrong here but for Dublin looked the best team on view in Croker over the weekend and I expect them to beat Kerry and whoever comes through on the other side. I think Cork next year can overtake the likes of Kildare, Meath, Roscommon, Clare and if we got our full complement of players back and had a good winter training programme we wouldn’t be a million miles off the likes of Derry, Galway, Armagh either. Without our full complement of players though we are behind the last 3 above and further behind the elite teams.

I think we are nearly there with S&C for our senior players. As Cleary said himself, it cam take a few years to build up a players body. I think one more good winter program, if the players really commit to it, then we'll be up where we need to he in terms of s&c, in both codes. They have come on leaps and bounds in last 2 years. So i think tge s&c program is working, just 2/3 of the way into the program.
The S&C coach with the Seniors and the one with the U20s are from the same gym so hopefully their programs will overlap.

Dublin will be beaten by Kerry because Kerrry will expose that Full back line along with the Cooper at 6 . i can't see McCarthy being back (leaking Diesel) You will not contain Clifford if he gets proper ball and has runners off him and the Kerry defence only concede a goal or less ( they had their stutter against mayo now after 5 weeks off) Jack will have Fenton man marked like 2019. A fit Cork team consisting of following in league 2023 would be a test for anyone. Chris Kelly KOD Shanley Mahony Maguire Meehan T Walsh Maguire Daniel O'C Hayes Corbett Powter Cronin Mahony Hurley you could pick 2 or 3 teams with players left out

The S&C coach with the Seniors and the one with the U20s are from the same gym so hopefully their programs will overlap.
To be fair, it looks like some progress has been made already. Last year v Kerry, they looked like a different species to Cork players. Seemed that it was transitioning to senior from underage teams that Cork fell way behind other teams in terms of s&c. Hopefully that now being addressed.
Worrying that we still fell away badly v Kerry and Dubs after being competitive for 40-45 minutes but as well as the s&c, we need to be better at the basics of the game. Other q finalists over the weekend appeared to have to do a lot less work to get a player into scoring position. Having likes of Corbett and Meehan fully fit would be big plus.

Ive lost interest in Football a good while back but i did watch the games over the weekend. The game is poxy to look at and this fear of taking a shot for a point seems to be holding the game by the throat. The back and forth play by everyone is boring but its also only providing minimum scoring. When Armagh had to on Saturday they went route one and were in an attacking frenzy. It lead to two goals in as many minutes whereas it would take 30mins with the tikka tikka football to get those points. Are the odds not in favour of all out attacking play not better?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

19th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼