Ireland finally reaches population level same as pre famine

Yeah that'd be great craic. Plenty of housing.
I guess seeing as we're in the EU we can't stop those fine folks From Eastern Europe etc from moving and working on our green shores, however there still seems to be large amounts of Africans, Middle Eastern, Indian, Brazillian etc coming in. Somebody has to approve all these migrants and surely with the housing the way it is things should be ground to a halt while we remedy it. We're a fairly remote island nation so it shouldn't be too hard.
I hear most of the Brazilians are here on those bogus student visas (enroll in some shit English school) but I read a while ago that was clamped down on.
Control non EU immigration while housing gets sorted? That requires intelligence and a backbone. The current government has neither.

Yeah that'd be great craic. Plenty of housing.
I guess seeing as we're in the EU we can't stop those fine folks From Eastern Europe etc from moving and working on our green shores, however there still seems to be large amounts of Africans, Middle Eastern, Indian, Brazillian etc coming in. Somebody has to approve all these migrants and surely with the housing the way it is things should be ground to a halt while we remedy it. We're a fairly remote island nation so it shouldn't be too hard.
I hear most of the Brazilians are here on those bogus student visas (enroll in some shit English school) but I read a while ago that was clamped down on.
There were Brazilians doing that here. All they did was party day and night

Sweden's attempts at integrating huge amounts of immigrants has been a disaster with a surge in islamic extremism.

The Swedes have radically tightened their immigration policies since the migrant influx in 2015.

It now has one of Europes most restrictive policies.

The Danes are now operating a policy of working to fast track the lengthy asylum process and deport those whose asylum application is rejected.

They have returned hundreds of Syrian refugees to their own country as it is no longer judged to be unsafe.

Their tighter immigration laws have widespread support.

We seem to operate under the assumption that we are somehow uniquely different and that a huge influx of immigrants will not cause any issues.

Our current throw open the borders non policy will have the same predictable results as elsewhere. Namely a fractured, unintegrated society with huge strain upon our welfare system.

Not to mention the resulting rise in Islamic extremism. Genuine lols at the media blackout of our pal who decapitated and castrated the gay lads in Sligo.

Last edited:
There are 32 million people of Irish descent in the US, although it is true that some people wish it was only 5 million. Maybe it's time for the diaspora to return.
Diaspora my hole.
In terms of actual citizens abroad, it is estimated that there are approximately 1.47 million citizens resident outside the State.
If any yank has an Irish grandparent or parent they can apply at any time for a passport and come home.

I've said it before. We have a responsibility to genuine refugees but not economic migrants and in general unless there is a pan European arrangement, refugees should stay in first port of call. We are a small island nation that is open to the entire population of the EU but the EU is also open to us. It's enough.

The stupidity of announcing an uncapped amnesty for illegal immigrants in a country with a severe housing shortage and overwhelmed public services, is staggering.

Wanting any cap on inward migration is now being presented as a controversial viewpoint in Ireland.

When exactly did open borders become Irish immigration policy and why aren’t our politicians ever asked about the challenges posed by having such an open policy?

We will be in the exact same mess as Sweden and face having to bring in the same immigration measures in response.

The stupidity of announcing an uncapped amnesty for illegal immigrants in a country with a severe housing shortage and overwhelmed public services, is staggering.

Wanting any cap on inward migration is now being presented as a controversial viewpoint in Ireland.

When exactly did open borders become Irish immigration policy and why aren’t our politicians ever asked about the challenges posed by having such an open policy?

We will be in the exact same mess as Sweden and face having to bring in the same immigration measures in response.
Which will be too late. Classic locking the gate after the horse has bolted.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Soviet Milk (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

20th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼