Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I hope KK walks away , for his own sake.
He has done a lot for Cork hurling and deserves our thanks.
He has been instrumental in building a strong squad and one of his strong points was introducing young players to the panel and team.

I think he is popular with the players and I think they regard him as decent and fair.

I just wonder if he has that cut throat determination to win at all costs because that is what we need now.

Traditionally Cork team have had plenty of talent but also confidence and swagger that came from the certainty of winning.
We lack that now and need somebody to drag us over the line to help restore that swagger. I am not sure KK is that man.
If he stays but he had better surround himself with some serious managerial talent because he is in negative territory with Cork supporters at the moment.
The addition of Ryan/Sherlock would certainly change the outlook and Pat Ryan was a selector with KK in the past.

I hope KK walks away , for his own sake.
He has done a lot for Cork hurling and deserves our thanks.
He has been instrumental in building a strong squad and one of his strong points was introducing young players to the panel and team.

I think he is popular with the players and I think they regard him as decent and fair.

I just wonder if he has that cut throat determination to win at all costs because that is what we need now.

Traditionally Cork team have had plenty of talent but also confidence and swagger that came from the certainty of winning.
We lack that now and need somebody to drag us over the line to help restore that swagger. I am not sure KK is that man.
If he stays but he had better surround himself with some serious managerial talent because he is in negative territory with Cork supporters at the moment.
The addition of Ryan/Sherlock would certainly change the outlook and Pat Ryan was a selector with KK in the past.

Have posted before that maybe he is just too nice to have the hard conversations, like dropping players who are not performing etc. I am sure the "players are in favour" comment in the article has nothing to do with maintaining a cushy atmosphere within the group but more that they get on with KK, respect him and want another chance to deliver for him.

I also don't think the offer has been accepted or it would be known by now.

I suspect the offer was made, at the time it was made, in his defence - it doesn't make sense to offer an extension minutes after losing an AI QF with all the raw emotion involved.

We all want improvements and we all want Cork winning but we should acknowledge the commitment, dedication and heart that KK has put into the last few years and commend him for it - that is entirely consistent with being critical of how his teams have played and his ability to marshall differing voices and forces within the camp.

Is there any chance that KK staying on next year is just a holding move?

His successor and backroom team may already be lined up to take over in 2023 at which time the young talent we have coming through will be better placed to have us in a position to challenge for titles.
This of course would be a tacit acknowledgement that we are not going to win the All Ireland next year but would be part of a longer term project to have us competitive thereafter.

It would provide some degree of continuity for the players expected to break through that their day is coming. Of course this theory presupposes a degree of planning and strategic thinking on behalf of CCB that may be fanciful.

In any event, an outsider, who would be focused only on the short term, is not the way to go in my opinion.

He is teaching in Cork.

I've no problem with him coaching if he's good enough. It was the CCB being dead set against the use of an outside Senior Coach to replace KK that I was trying to fathom. We've had guys playing senior hurling for Cork who weren't even born in the county, so what exactly is the issue with going outside of the county for the Senior Coach/Manager if one good enough to win us an AI becomes available?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

17th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Longest Johns

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼