Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Whether right or wrong time can only tell but i assume the players did not want to end Kingston s term on that display.
But let us be very clear and honest here it was the players who missed 3-12 easy scores in the first half not Kingston.
Agreed. But when a collective of players gives 4/6 shit first halves, and 6/6 shit first ten minutes, something is wrong in the collective. Kingston is responsible for the collective. It's not an easy job. Even if I had his knowledge of hurling I wouldn't have the man management skills to do it. I have very sympathy for him and he may have put his trust in people who left him down. But alas, he was still responsible for the shit-show. That's the nature of management.

Definitely think there's little point in going to any league games. You'd hope he could use them to bring the habit of manic intensity. But even if they managed that in the league, the hallmark of Kingston teams in inconsistency. Whatever you see today, you may not see tomorrow.

Whether right or wrong time can only tell but i assume the players did not want to end Kingston s term on that display.
But let us be very clear and honest here it was the players who missed 3-12 easy scores in the first half not Kingston.
Ah that's grand so, get rid of the management altogether and let the players coach and select themselves.

Well they should have thought about that before the match not afterwards. We need a new fresh approach with selectors that will set us up properly, demand performances from the team every time they go out and make changes when required

Last edited:
I actually agree with you on the second part of that. I don’t personally think Kingston should be taking this team forward but the basic mistakes of Saturday, wides, keeper errors were not really down to Kingston. That’s on the players infairness. He can’t puck every ball. It didn’t matter who was on the line when mistakes like that happen.

But I don’t think he’s the man that is going to crack the code for Cork. The style of hurling currently will not win an All Ireland with Limerick around. Losing to Galway was a shocker but it has spared Kingston another hiding at the hands of Limerick IMO. Pat Ryan should be the man!

This is painful to watch Cork set themselves back 5 years where the talent coming through will probably fade out by some of the decisions been made by a narrow minded management and board concept of continuity towards failure. It would have been great to hear Pat Ryan is in a good position to take the role and look at the success of Ben O Connor who has more winning experience with Cork to omit this intercounty management continuity concept. If this decision is followed through with later promotion of existing selectors & co. many will not be able to stomach watching Cork for a number of years where the voices of the majority of people isn't being actioned. There is a great Club Championship structure in place and that's all I'll be watching for a while now if vital changes are made for Cork intercounty setup.

Kingston isn't the problem, bar for his son Shane maybe, that situation seemed to become very awkward this season in particular - however there are far bigger problems in that mgt team from the players point of view, and I am def not a 'let the players have control' person but I have directly heard of far too many issues for me to be concerned about the level of discontent in the group, and as we all know, if that is present then performance levels will fall off or at best become inconsistent. There has to be respect and trust present for any potential to be maximised.

My big worry is the Co Boards track record in appointments over the last few years, definitely not on point.

Last edited:
Kingston isn't the problem, bar for his son Shane maybe, that situation seemed to become very awkward this season in particular - however there are far bigger problems in that mgt team from the players point of view, and I am def not a 'let the players have control' person but I have directly heard of far too many issues for me to be concerned about the level of discontent in the group, and as we all know, if that is present then performance levels will fall off or at best become inconsistent. There has to be respect and trust present for any potential to be maximised.

My big worry is the Co Boards track record in appointments over the last few years, definitely not on point.

If the players have issues with the management, and I too believe they do, why are they backing them to stay on? It doesn’t make any sense

Heard it on RTE sports this morning. Marty Morrisey kept telling us that Kingston "is a player's man". Like what the actual f**k does that even mean when it comes to getting Cork to win the All Ireland?

Thinking back all the successful managers for Cork, were they all "player's men"??? Is Cody a "player's man"? Is Kiely a "player's man"??

There are counties rubbing their hands with glee at this re-appointment I suspect.

Looks like the die is cast now and that KK is getting the gig for another year. That being the case I hope that he has had an epiphany and has learnt from his TWO unsuccessful stints at the job to date and that he radically improves his tactics, overall in-game decisions, selection and deployment of players. On the plus side KK and his brains trust have huge room for improvement.

Am I right in thinking that the last 5 times we've met Galway in the championship they've beaten us? Galway like.

Gawd, it's getting more and more like the "It won't be another 13 years before the Glen win the county again" 😔

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼