wi-fi extender query

Don't bother going to all that hassle with the "dead" cable. If you have to re-pull it you'll end up with a ton of hassle and extra cost. At a minimum you'll be re-crimping it. Go for the EOP option recommended by Handy Run above. It delivers serious speed and you just need to plug it in to a power socket at each end - no cables to run. I was f***acting around for ages with wifi repeaters and the like and trying to figure out routes to lay UTP and so on. Once I got the EOP I had it sorted in 15 minutes. Now I can run three venues off the one router.

As long as the shed is on the same master distribution board as the broadband router you're sorted.
alas the studio is on a different electric meter to where the siro is

was thinking of maybe musks starlink malarkey but its very expensive

Did you try replacing the cable? Please tell me it's running through a conduit?

Worst case scenario you can get an Ethernet Over Power adapter, assuming your she'd shares the power circuit with the house.

I use these https://www.amazon.de/TL-PA4010-KIT-Powerline-compatible-adapters/dp/B00A0VBPLM/ref=mp_s_a_1_26?crid=3TDJ05G51B0O8&keywords=ethernet+über+strom&pscroll=1&qid=1655115101&sprefix=Ethernet+Over+,aps,129&sr=8-26&wIndexMainSlot=29
You'd never think I worked in IT.

HR how does the above work.
I'm currently running an Ethernet cable 25 ft to my laptop, off my Gb router.
How would the above work for me.

You plug an ethernet cable from your router in to one of the powerline adapters, then plug the next one close to your laptop. Once they are on the same ring main in your house. You can add extra ones all over your house if you want for different devices.
They do a straight thru version as well if sockets are an issue.

You get two units in the pack.
Connect one unit to your router via a standard UTP cable, and plug that unit into a spare power socket by the router.
Then you plug the other unit in to a power socket near where your laptop is. The two units run their own private LAN over the electric cable - password is on the unit so you just key that into your laptop / phone / whatever.

You plug an ethernet cable from your router in to one of the powerline adapters, then plug the next one close to your laptop. Once they are on the same ring main in your house. You can add extra ones all over your house if you want for different devices.
They do a straight thru version as well if sockets are an issue.
Ah thanks a mill. I will order it later. The cable is unsightly and while I get up to 5-600 out of it on a good day, its very awkward too

You get two units in the pack.
Connect one unit to your router via a standard UTP cable, and plug that unit into a spare power socket by the router.
Then you plug the other unit in to a power socket near where your laptop is. The two units run their own private LAN over the electric cable - password is on the unit so you just key that into your laptop / phone / whatever.
Does that mean you couldn't use a 3rd or 4th out of curiousity?

alas the studio is on a different electric meter to where the siro is

was thinking of maybe musks starlink malarkey but its very expensive
OK, well if you can't connect on the one elec network then just run a length of SWA cable out to the shed. Connect one end to your electric in the house and put an electric socket on the other end in the shed. Now you have electrical connection between shed and house and plug your EOP unit into that one-off socket in the shed.
SWA is deadly, not that expensive and needs no conduit in a domestic situation - it's even stronger than conduit - you'd have to go directly at it with an angle grinder to cut it by accident. Bury it six or eight inches down under the lawn and away you go!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼