The Official Athletics Thread

Leon Reid got a 21 month suspended sentence for allowing his flat be used to make crack

Lucky boy I'd say. Hopefully he can stay on the straight and narrow and keep training

Last edited:
Birmingham indoors on the need red button from 13.35 or on world athletics YouTube

Sarah Healy is on at 14.55 its a strong enough field she's coming off an Irish U23 record in her last run so hopefully she can build on that

The big races are closing the programme 15.40 Coscoran is off in the 1500m. Abel Kipsang would be favourite. Jake Whiteman is no slouch, 2nd best British miler behind Kerr. If Coscoran can mix it with them and hopefully beat the likes of the spaniard Mechaal, id be delighted with him.

The last race is olympic champ Keely Hodgekinson against Natalya Goule from Jamaica who won in Leivon. Should be a good showdown.

My boy Erik Sowinski looks to be pacing the 1500 about an hour after racing the 800m.

Some good talent in the sprints. The Lyle brothers against an out of form Ronnie Baker. Grant Holloway in the 60 hurdles says his own WR is not that fast.

And Gemma Reekie is trying for a British 1k record

Super run from Sarah Healy. 4.06 high for a new PB and U23 record behind Sayaum the ethiopian. Took a few good scalps including Lindon Hall fro Oz.

National record for Molly Scott in the 60. Helps running behind ETH.

Coscoran; pedestrian enough in 3.41. Well off it today.

Good race up front with Kipsang taking it but far from easy

Mondo knocking on the door of the PV WR

Keely Hodgekinson looked sensational in the 800m.

Last edited:
Thought Healy was great there, loved the aggression and ambition. If ever there was a runner (Sportsperson) who'd make me support England, it would have to be Hodgkinson. A brilliant athlete. Luxembourg's Grethen did ok in the 1500 but he is an Olympic finalist, so to be expected.

Good read on the situation with Rena Reider and his Tumbleweed athletics club, currently under a safesport investigation for sleeping with a vulnerable 18 year old and coach to Blessing Okagbare recently banned for 10 years.
He coaches Andre DeGrasse, Trayvon Bromell and Adam Gemili amoung others

Mark English ran his first 800 of the year in 1.46.61 for 6th in Torun. He was in a great position but when the hammer came down he had no 5th gear. Ran in his Finn Valley singlet which was nice to see.

I think the Irish have a nice line in representing their clubs when they can. Reminded me of Seán Tobin in the clonmel gear pacing the diamond league last year.

ETH beaten by Polish wan Swoboda in the 60m. Tsegay just missed out on 1500m WR

A so so meet.

Irish indoor nationals should be tasty at the weekend.
Mens 1500m and 3000m look stacked

The highest standard in a good few years you’d hope. Any plans for the national broadcaster to be present?
Nah, Athletics Ireland livestream only.

Peter Collins can horse into the chablis with abandon Friday night.

I thought TG4 would have it, they're showing an hour of highlights from Torun and Birmingham on Saturday morning rather than the nationals it seem a bit misguided to say the least.

Nah, Athletics Ireland livestream only.

Peter Collins can horse into the chablis with abandon Friday night.

I thought TG4 would have it, they're showing an hour of highlights from Torun and Birmingham on Saturday morning rather than the nationals it seem a bit misguided to say the least.
Well, they can just buy the tapes of Torun and Birmingham - a lot cheaper than an outside broadcast. The Athletics Ireland feed is pretty good - although it's just a single camera really.

McElhinney just took the 3k -m 8:02 - he had it handy enough and took it out from Griggs with 800m to go.

1645880269515.png

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼